I need some help please

Options
lauren3101
lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
I need some help from all you high calorie experts.

Firstly, my stats:

5”10
250lb
Activity level: desk job, and walk 2 miles, 5 days a week, so 40 mins a day light activity – sedentary?
BF % - Unsure, too many calculators, been told anything from 25% - 53%, but I’m guessing it’s in the higher range

I’ll try not to make this too long.

I started off at 1760 cals a day. Lost 32lb and then plateaued for about 10 weeks.

Read the ‘in place of a road map’, worked out my BMR to be 1960, and my TDEE to be 2687 based on light activity (after reading from Dan that sedentary is only used if you basically don’t move all day).

Based on that information, I upped my cals to 2100.

Gained 2lb at first, then lost 4 lb. Weighed myself 5 weeks later, I was exactly the same. Not a lb or an inch lost.

Decided to have another look at my TDEE based on sedentary level, as I’m assuming 2100 cals is too much for me to lose weight.

However, this is where I’m getting confused. Sedentary level = TDEE of 2345, however, if I take 20% from that, it puts me at 1876 cals, which is below my BMR, and I didn’t think I should eat below that?
I have read that BMR can be overestimated if you have a high BF%, which I do, to be fair. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• lauren3101
    Options
    Nobody?
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    i personally think the 1876 sounds like a reasonable amount of daily cals to try.... maybe give it 1-2 weeks and see what happens?
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I think that you will do fine eating around the 1850-1875 mark.

I'm 5'11 and weigh 197, my BMR per most calcs is just at/just below 1700.

As you have a bit more to lose, eating below your BMR at this weight will likely not have adverse effects, but be sure to revisit the calculators after 5-7 pounds to make sure that you are still in line.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    If you haven't done a reset, I would recommend eating at 2300 for 8 weeks and see what happens. If you plateaued eating below your BMR before, you definitely need to consider giving your body a "break" before trying to cut calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    5”10
    250lb
    Activity level: desk job, and walk 2 miles, 5 days a week, so 40 mins a day light activity – sedentary?
    BF % - Unsure, too many calculators, been told anything from 25% - 53%, but I’m guessing it’s in the higher range

I started off at 1760 cals a day. Lost 32lb and then plateaued for about 10 weeks.

Read the ‘in place of a road map’, worked out my BMR to be 1960, and my TDEE to be 2687 based on light activity (after reading from Dan that sedentary is only used if you basically don’t move all day).

Gained 2lb at first, then lost 4 lb. Weighed myself 5 weeks later, I was exactly the same. Not a lb or an inch lost.

Decided to have another look at my TDEE based on sedentary level, as I’m assuming 2100 cals is too much for me to lose weight.

However, this is where I’m getting confused. Sedentary level = TDEE of 2345, however, if I take 20% from that, it puts me at 1876 cals, which is below my BMR, and I didn’t think I should eat below that?
    I have read that BMR can be overestimated if you have a high BF%, which I do, to be fair. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

So the fat2fit site didn't actually use your BF% in any calcs for your eating levels.
    Change the BF% - the levels stay the same.

So indeed, your Harris BMR was used, and that is inflated when overweight.

Use the spreadsheet linked in this topic to get a decent BF% estimate, use it no matter the spread, and log your progress.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

I'm going to guess after you enter your actual time in activity levels, your BMR multiplier or activity level is 1.35 or slightly below.
  • lauren3101
    Options
  • lauren3101
    Options
    5”10
    250lb

Thanks in advance.

So the fat2fit site didn't actually use your BF% in any calcs for your eating levels.
    Change the BF% - the levels stay the same.

So indeed, your Harris BMR was used, and that is inflated when overweight.

Use the spreadsheet linked in this topic to get a decent BF% estimate, use it no matter the spread, and log your progress.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

I'm going to guess after you enter your actual time in activity levels, your BMR multiplier or activity level is 1.35 or slightly below.

Thanks for this. Funnily enough, one of my friends said you would be the one to talk to. I've plugged my measurements in there and got a BF% of 40% (average) and it says my BMR is 1826, and has given me a recommended calorie allowance of 1826. Is it ok to eat exactly at my BMR?
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks for this. Funnily enough, one of my friends said you would be the one to talk to. I've plugged my measurements in there and got a BF% of 40% (average) and it says my BMR is 1826, and has given me a recommended calorie allowance of 1826. Is it ok to eat exactly at my BMR?

If you selected a realistic goal weight, and a lot to lose, for now it will be.

Confirm you eat enough protein on the Macros tab.
    And hopefully having some lifting in the routine will help too.

Because, studies have shown with a lot to lose, you can take a steeper deficit for awhile. Body isn't as threatened. especially since it sounds like your TDEE isn't that high, you must have a calmer routine, or mainly lifting.
    But you need little other stress in life, so sleep well, eat well for what you do eat. Allow recovery from lifting workouts.
  • lauren3101
    Options

If you selected a realistic goal weight, and a lot to lose, for now it will be.

Confirm you eat enough protein on the Macros tab.
    And hopefully having some lifting in the routine will help too.

Because, studies have shown with a lot to lose, you can take a steeper deficit for awhile. Body isn't as threatened. especially since it sounds like your TDEE isn't that high, you must have a calmer routine, or mainly lifting.
    But you need little other stress in life, so sleep well, eat well for what you do eat. Allow recovery from lifting workouts.

I think my goal weight is realistic - 180lb. Tbh I'm just going to see how I feel when I get there.

I do have a calmer routine, I just walk at the moment. I did do more, but I have back issues and recently tore a ligament in my knee, so I've been taking it easy for a while. In the new year though, I'm going to start lifting - I recently bought weights.

So, when I start this (I'll be doing stronglifts 5x5 I think), should I then start eating a bit more?
  • heybales
    Options
    I think my goal weight is realistic - 180lb. Tbh I'm just going to see how I feel when I get there.

I do have a calmer routine, I just walk at the moment. I did do more, but I have back issues and recently tore a ligament in my knee, so I've been taking it easy for a while. In the new year though, I'm going to start lifting - I recently bought weights.

So, when I start this (I'll be doing stronglifts 5x5 I think), should I then start eating a bit more?

The walking to lifting trade of time will mean a bit more calories.
    But because of lifting, the deficit can be more and still maintain LBM.
    So you may get a wash and be at the same level or even less if desired.