Carb loading ???

Options
Anyone on Keto Diet do Carb loading on the weekends??? If so, what do you increase your carbs too and doesnt it throw you out of Ketosis??

Replies

• bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    It very much throws you out of ketosis. You definitely don't want to "carbo-load" unless you're in a stall/plateau or you're lifting some extremely heavy weights over a long period of time.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    It very much throws you out of ketosis. You definitely don't want to "carbo-load" unless you're in a stall/plateau or you're lifting some extremely heavy weights over a long period of time.
    This.

Also, that is a cunning hat!
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info :) I havent been on Keto very long, almost a month, I've been reading some stuff online and I think its more info for body builders (not me)... I stay under 20 Net Carbs daily and have seen results thus far...
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options

What about for a 15k? I'm running one next month and really don't feel like 20g of carbs is going to cut it for that distance, but I am also paranoid about being sick from the gluten/grains. :/
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options

What about for a 15k? I'm running one next month and really don't feel like 20g of carbs is going to cut it for that distance, but I am also paranoid about being sick from the gluten/grains. :/

Danger- I ran 2 half marathons on almost NO carbs. I did fine. Granted...during the race I did eat a FEW dates for natural energy. If you can train that way before hand your body is used to it. They were the best half marathon times i've had.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I've dont it once, just because I was having a major weight loss stall and wanted to shake things up a bit. It worked I lost a lot the week after but I wouldn't be doing it very often.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I've dont it once, just because I was having a major weight loss stall and wanted to shake things up a bit. It worked I lost a lot the week after but I wouldn't be doing it very often.
    What did your carb load look like? Were you eating bread and potatoes? Something else? For how many meals? How many net carbs? Inquiring minds wanna know! :-)
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

I came across a couple of sites yesterday for runners that discussed using coconut oil before a long run, and the benefits they gained, including energy. Do a little more research so that you can achieve your fitness goals without kicking yourself out of ketosis,and stay on track with your weight loss goals. Once you're in ketosis, your body is already used to using fat for energy; I don't believe it's necessary to introduce carbs. However, check out this link: http://www.free-workout-plans-for-busy-people.com/ketogenic-diet-types.html. Perhaps you need to consider TKD while you are training, and the day of the race. Good luck!
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I will definitely be checking out your links, and probably just sticking to what I know works!
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau, so I carb-loaded for 3 days. I gained 4 pounds. It took another 4 days to take it off. (Granted it wasn't fat, but it was frustrating - and I didn't feel nearly as well off the diet as I do on the diet.

Lesson learned: I put off reaching my goal by one long week.
    Lesson 2: Don't do that again.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    What did your carb load look like? Were you eating bread and potatoes? Something else? For how many meals? How many net carbs? Inquiring minds wanna know! :-)

Ate a fair bit of bread , toast or breakfast and a sandwich for lunch, also had cake or desert over, did this sat and Sunday but stayed blow my maintenance cals prob about 1800 cals

Then did 24 hour fast on mon and some heavy lifting as I do every mon and carried on with usual cals, put 2lbs on over the carb weekend but lost 5.5 the next week and have carried on losing or the 4 following weeks