My first break to TDEE

Options
rachmass1
rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
I have been eating between 1700-2000 calories per day pretty much since I started on my weight loss path, with my TDEE currently estimated between 2,100 - 2,400 per day for my 5'2" 51-year old, 150 pound self (between lightly and moderately active). My BMR is around 1,290-1,320 depending on the calculated source. For the past four days I have been eating between 1,900-2,000 calories per day and so far am maintaining to going up slightly (no big deal). I would like to take a 2-week break at TDEE.

My question is if I want to take a break to TDEE and it varies depending on my activity level, should I simply go to the 2,100 or even 2,000 level as my set point, or should I go to the higher or mid level? Also, if I start to gain weight at 2,000 calories, does that mean my TDEE is actually lower than that? With eating 1,700 calories per day I lose about 1-2 pounds a month now, and at 1,900 I don't seem to have the scale move at all. I lift weights, swing heavy ropes, and walk about 5 miles per day on average but don't to much other activity other than I tend to be on my feet moving around a lot.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• rachmass1
    Options
    Edit, per F2F my TDEE is less than 2,000 calories per day. I was basing the above on what my BMF says I burn.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat at your TDEE for two weeks I say good for you! Do it! A month might even be better because it will give you better information. From what I have read lately I think the best thing to do is eat at your calculated TDEE and also eat back half of your exercise calories ( sometimes exercise calories are inflated). Go you!
    Question: how much weight do you want to lose to reach your goal?
  • rachmass1
    Options
    If you want to eat at your TDEE for two weeks I say good for you! Do it! A month might even be better because it will give you better information. From what I have read lately I think the best thing to do is eat at your calculated TDEE and also eat back half of your exercise calories ( sometimes exercise calories are inflated). Go you!
    Question: how much weight do you want to lose to reach your goal?

Hi Mandy, I currently weigh 150 and to be a healthy weight for me 130 seems about right (with muscles). I am 5'2" and 51-years old and my start weight was 182 in January. I slowed down a lot in movement of weight since about August losing about 5-6 pounds since then. I am not in a hurry to lose as I am reasonably healthy now and am happy to have the remaining 20 pounds gone by June if possible, if not, by the end of 2013.

Maybe I should try one month. Don't know, haven't had a break since I started and I don't want to gain, just maintain for the next period of time in hopes that I can start to lose while eating more (1,900 is perfect but 2,000-2,100 would make me estatic).
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you eat at TDEE just remember that includes your exercise. You dont need to eat half the exercise calories back. Good luck.
  • rachmass1
    Options
    Thanks. Only time I would eat back is if I overdo it ( happens sometimes)