HIIT vs Weight Training on Fat Loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• Polymorphist
    Options
    Hello All -

I just found this board after doing a search on HIIT training. I just started doing HIIT with a combination of jump rope and elliptical. I lifted on a strength training program for the entire past year, mostly compound movements with the barbell and heavy weights. My body weight went up to 225 lbs, i'm 5' 9''. I'm also 41 years old. While I liked being strong, I have quite a bit of body fat which i'd like to get rid of so I put the weights down for now to concentrate on burning fat off and getting leaner. I'll probably pick up the weights again after I do this and then continue to do cardio/HIIT along with the lifting. I also started krav maga training last summer but stopped for a bit because my cardiovascular fitness wasn't up to par and I was dying to get through the hour-long classes. My goal now is to increase my VO2 max and lung capacity so that I can go back into krav training.

Here's my more immediate question - how in the heck do I record my HIIT training metrics when I jump rope?

Just a note, I'm not wearing a heart rate monitor when I jump rope. Because of this, i'm not sure how I should be calculating my calorie burn. So, if I do 10 intervals of 30 seconds jumping/30 seconds rest for 10 total minutes, do I record 5 minutes of jumping as my actual calorie burn? There are fitness calculators I can use to calculate my calories, however if I enter 10 minutes of jumping rope I get a very large calorie result because I think the calculators are interpreting that I'm jumping rope for 10 straight minutes.

Are there are any particular formulas which any of you are using for calculating your HIIT calories?

Thanks!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hello All -

I just found this board after doing a search on HIIT training. I just started doing HIIT with a combination of jump rope and elliptical. I lifted on a strength training program for the entire past year, mostly compound movements with the barbell and heavy weights. My body weight went up to 225 lbs, i'm 5' 9''. I'm also 41 years old. While I liked being strong, I have quite a bit of body fat which i'd like to get rid of so I put the weights down for now to concentrate on burning fat off and getting leaner. I'll probably pick up the weights again after I do this and then continue to do cardio/HIIT along with the lifting. I also started krav maga training last summer but stopped for a bit because my cardiovascular fitness wasn't up to par and I was dying to get through the hour-long classes. My goal now is to increase my VO2 max and lung capacity so that I can go back into krav training.

Here's my more immediate question - how in the heck do I record my HIIT training metrics when I jump rope?

Just a note, I'm not wearing a heart rate monitor when I jump rope. Because of this, i'm not sure how I should be calculating my calorie burn. So, if I do 10 intervals of 30 seconds jumping/30 seconds rest for 10 total minutes, do I record 5 minutes of jumping as my actual calorie burn? There are fitness calculators I can use to calculate my calories, however if I enter 10 minutes of jumping rope I get a very large calorie result because I think the calculators are interpreting that I'm jumping rope for 10 straight minutes.

Are there are any particular formulas which any of you are using for calculating your HIIT calories?

Thanks!!

I would probably not stress it. It's only 5 minutes and at max you will probably burn 20 calories or something like that.