Smith Machine Question, and a few others

Options
knk1553
knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
Ok, I figured I'd rather come here and ask these questions than attempt to search the forums and just get overwhelmed, frustrated and pissed off. I'm so happy you guys made this btw.

Ok, at the current moment I work out in the small gym in my apartment complex, nothing fancy but its free and I'm on a really strict budget money wise with an unpaid internship, finishing up my masters thesis, and classes (aka no time for a paying job). The complex gym is mediocre but it gets the job done. My big question though, is using a smith machine completely detrimental to my progress lifting? I just started back into lifting and am doing a 5x5 program with some accessory work. They do have an Olympic barbell but no rack to work in really besides one set of pegs on the front of the smith machine. I've been using the smith machine because 99% of the time I'm the only person in there, on the occasion there's some chick who spends hours doing cardio and 9 million reps of 5lb dumb bells. I ultimately use the smith machine just because I feel safer with it since there isn't a true rack otherwise. I do use the regular barbell for everything except for squat and bench press

Few other small questions:
Creatine? Yes? No? I already use a protein supplement but wasn't sure if I should add creatine in
HIIT training on my lifting days and 30-45 mins of cardio 2 other days too much on top of lifting? I'm around 23% body fat and would like to drop down to 16-18%. I do one day of deep stretching and 1 other full rest day a week as well.

I had more that I thought of while I was lifting, but I forgot. Clearly they weren't important. I would appreciate any feedback!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My big question though, is using a smith machine completely detrimental to my progress lifting?

No, but I don't think it's ideal. You can still make progress on a smith machine, but I'd be cautious about using proper technique for the smith machine. I'm not qualified to assess that but for example, if you're squatting on a smith machine I assume the mechanics are going to vary a bit from a traditional squat.

The smith machine forces you into a fixed bar path. This potentially can create problems, but I wouldn't make the statement that you "can't make progress" on a smith machine.

And maybe this is a bit controversial, but you may find it superior to work at slightly higher volume and slightly lower %of 1RM and just use the pegs. And yes there's an element of risk there too and this would require you to know your limitations.

Just for example, I am not comfortable repping anything near a 3RM or heavier on bench press w/o a spotter. I'm comfortable using loads that are closer to 5RM without a spotter.

I'm not encouraging you to put yourself at risk, but there is probably some point of volume/loading that you would be comfortable and quite safe doing without a spotter and using freeweights. This is again, assuming you know how to rack/unrack properly etc.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I believe the smith machine has it's place. For example, rehab work or when you want to isolate the quads. I would never do any heavy squats with the smith. The range of motion is unnatural. When doing a squat, the body does not move in a up and down fashion. Over time your body will adapt and when you try a real squat, things won't go well.

When I first started, I use to be afraid of the squat. So, I stayed to the smith machine. I started squatting and I wasn't even able to squat 95 pounds correctly. Mind you I was "squatting" 275 on the smith.

Even with the bench, you face issues with range of motion. You're going to have to use whatever equipment is available to you. Make the most of it.

Regarding the creatine comment. Creatine is not a supplement just made me for men. Take it.
  • knk1553
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll start next week working with lighter weight and higher reps with the free weights and work up as I feel comfortable. I don't think I would be as nervous if it wasn't just me in there. However I know I can comfortably squat and bench the bar alone (probably more) so ill start with that next week and just play around. I'm working in the 5-8 rep range currently. There is "arms" ( I don't know the appropriate word for them) on the front of the machine as well, so I can set the pegs at the appropriate rack height and the arms at the bottom of my rep. I just need to stop being scared and have more confidence in my strength and abilities I think
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with SideSteel's comments. Just to add a couple of additional points:

- don't use clamps so you can dump the weights if you need to
    - for bench, do dumbbells for your higher % of 1RM
    - what are you thinking of taking creatine for? As a heads up, if you are responsive to it you will gain additional water weight

As an example re the weights. The gym I use in the week, which is when I squat, only has a fixed safety bar squat rack which is too high for sumo or low bar squats. So for these I squat outside the rack but at a low weight relative to my 1RM but with higher reps.
  • knk1553
    Options
    - what are you thinking of taking creatine for? As a heads up, if you are responsive to it you will gain additional water weight

I've heard here and there about taking it, ultimately I would like opinions on if its beneficial, what its beneficial for, etc. I probably need to just take the time to sit down and research it and decide for myself, I've heard about the water weight and that is what has put me off from it so far, I'm still trying to drop weight/bodyfat and knowing myself I feel like gaining water weight would really discourage me

Thanks for the feedback!
  • knk1553
    Options
    Oh....remembered my other question... Any way to increase grip strength? In particular on my deadlift and barbell row my grip strength is what is holding me back...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Oh....remembered my other question... Any way to increase grip strength? In particular on my deadlift and barbell row my grip strength is what is holding me back...

I would suggest farmers walks.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I would suggest farmers walks.
    And plate pinches.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    - what are you thinking of taking creatine for? As a heads up, if you ate responsive to it you will gain additional water weight

I've heard here and there about taking it, ultimately I would like opinions on if its beneficial, what its beneficial for, etc. I probably need to just take the time to sit down and research it and decide for myself, I've heard about the water weight and that is what has put me off from it so far, I'm still trying to drop weight/bodyfat and knowing myself I feel like gaining water weight would really discourage me

Thanks for the feedback!

Creatine helps primarily with between set recovery. This gives you the ability to push a little harder on later sets IMHO. It also a volumizer so it will increase water in the muscle tissue which, theoretically, helps with over all recovery. If I were you, I'd probably wait to decide whether or not to add it until I was pushing more weight and between set recovery is more critical.