ok...so..pouch is obviously not broken....

Options
Onaughmae
Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
Went to dinner with hubby last night for a badly needed date night. Went to a movie and to Red Lobster. I was able to eat...a lot more than I thought I should be able to. Had a bit of salad, part of a biscuit (couldnt resist) a few crab legs, a small lobster tail, and a few shrimps in scampi sauce. Very yummy but I was kind of worried that it all went down so easy (I am 8 months out now).

Well, this afternoon I decided to have some broccoli since I havent had any in awhile and I am trying to be good after an indulgent yesterday....2 bites of it and I am dying :cry: Completely stuck in there and I have the whole pouch pain, mouth watering, nauseated foamies going on. Apparently my pouch is still intact and I *still* cant tolerate broccoli *sigh*

Replies

• JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I can so totally understand.....I'm 8 months out too. And still discovering what wont pass the pouch! And the pain and nausea is horrible.....And some folks thing this is the easy way out!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    There are days when everything goes down so easily that I worry. And there are other days where eating anything is a struggle. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it.
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I TO HAVE BAD DAYS WITH BROCCOLI AND SHRIMP/LOBESTER MMMMM SLIDE RIGHT DOWN LOL JUST LEAN WHAT NEEDS TO BE EASY WITH AND WHAT CAN GO EASY AND LOG EVERYTHING LOL
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with broccoli, too, especially broccoli that hasn't been cooked until it's VERY mushy.

Some days are better than others. I just had two ENTIRE days where EVERY BITE felt like it was going to come back up, and some of it did. Today is finally a little better. No idea what the triggers are, but I have learned to just slow down and not worry about eating too much on the days where it seems to be too hard, and not completely pig out when things feel easier. It's been a bit of a balancing act, but I am learning. :) (I am about a year + a week and a half in)
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I haven't had much trouble with any foods, other than raw vegetables--lettuce, especially. Sometimes I can eat more than others, but focus on the fact that I need to keep the meal at about 1/2 cup. I am only three months out and it is frightening how easy it is to eat most foods. If I want a treat, I have a very, very small taste and am done with that. I have never had nausea, vomiting, or dumping syndrome at all.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    15 months out and still cannot do raw brocolli or any kind of chicken. Avoid both like the plague. Time for a fill for me. Haven't gained but can tell that I can eat more food than before.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    ohhhh, the first time I had broccoli, I wanted to cry myself to my death!!! The gas it induced was horrendous!!!!
    I can eat it fine no problem now.... I have learned that....... and forgive me if this doesn't make sense, but after surgery we become so intolerant to foods, and swear off foods, and avoid certain foods like the plague.... that when we do try them, we get sick/dumping then we swear them off again.... but in order to avoid dumping, you sometimes have to keep consuming the 'bad' so your body can adapt to it again. just like the surgery. we shocked our system, it takes months to adapt. I had to eat broccoli 5 or 6 times before my body was cool with it. same with bread and eggs.

I too have days where I eat A LOT, like 1500-1600 calories and then days when I can barely can get in 1000. Every person I've talked to that are years out from surgery said this is normal and they experience it, too.

I am 9 months out now and keep my calories at about 1300-1350, just increased from 1250-1300. My NUT wants me at 1400-1500 on the days I work out, but I normally physically cannot eat that much.

It also all depends how much of these foods are 'fillers' or have actual nutrition to them! The healthier it is, the faster and fuller with less food I eat!
  • Onaughmae
    Options
    Thanks for all the input...sometimes I swear I have broken my pouch and then it pops up and kicks my butt! I suppose that is a good thing! I will try broccoli again at a later time...at least once my brain forgets how sick it made me :) Thanks goodness I can still eat squash....I have been a steaming and roasting fool today!
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You know I have the same issue. Ironically as I was reading this post - my pouch and broccoli were having 'the' discussion and the pouch won. I won't be having broccoli for a long time now. Some days broccoli isn't so tasty going down but coming up is even worse. I too have days when my band works like a champ. Can't put anything in it - and others when I feel that I have broken it and it is not working. I am so glad I saw this post as it is exactly what I was thinking and feeling...
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    What to feed your pouch is all trial and error. What works one time might be evil the next. I can eat cheese and I can handle those "flatout" flat breads, but I tried melting the cheese on a small flat bread in the toaster oven, took one bite and got the foamies. Tossed it all in the trash at work and held my head over my trash can at my desk. Lesson learned.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Broccoli fine but 2 years down the line & still can not eat cauliflower!!
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I like you never really have problems with any particular foods. Sometimes if I am chewing beef that is well done, I just can't bring myself to swallow it because of the dryness. I am six months out and have never even felt like I wanted to vonit.Now I wonder if I actually can or not. Does anybody else feel like that?
  • Onaughmae
    Options
    At 9 months out I can count the number of times I have actually thrown up on one hand. I have had some instances where I had pouch pain and "foamies" after eating something that just didnt sit right in there. Anytime that happens I can usually trace it back to eating too quickly and not chewing well enough, or eating something that was too dry. Of course, I still have issues with broccoli :(
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    At 9 months out I can count the number of times I have actually thrown up on one hand. I have had some instances where I had pouch pain and "foamies" after eating something that just didnt sit right in there. Anytime that happens I can usually trace it back to eating too quickly and not chewing well enough, or eating something that was too dry. Of course, I still have issues with broccoli :(

Same here. Had the "foamies" at Thanksgiving with dressing and Spiral Ham. I absolutely cannot do iceberg lettuce. Couldn't before surgery either. And I agree that the problems generally occur from eating too fast or not chewing thoroughly.
  • nickychicky
    Options
    I am 2 years out and still have days like that. What you can eat one day won't go down the next
  • WandaFisch57
    Options
    I'm 2.5 years out, ate broccoli in a salad about an hour ago and ohh the pain and gas! I haven't eaten it raw in a long time so thought I would try it again...bad choice!