Pregnancy & Low Carb

Options
I've been doing Induction since the beginning of September and have been doing extremely well with losing weight. I just found out earlier this week I am pregnant and I was wondering how do I stay on a low carb lifestyle while pregnant. I've had two kids already and with my first baby I gained 65lbs and my second I gained 45lbs. I do not want to gain that amount of weight again so I would really like to stay low carb. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I would really appreciate any feedback.

Replies

• valjacobsen
    valjacobsen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I stayed at 15-30 grams of carbohydrate through two pregnancies and while nursing both babies for about 18 months each. A girl and a boy, they are now 8 and 6 years old, were between 8 and 9 pounds at birth, and have been perfectly healthy. (Neither has ever seen the doctor for illness or ever taken antibiotics.)

Remember, this is the way that some whole cultures ate in the past. Mommies don't need to eat sweets and starches to grow healthy babies.

My kids do eat sweets and starches, but sweets are a special or holiday treat that is fairly rare. They eat bread but less than most kids. I encourage them to eat lots of butter, healthy oils, cheeses, cream, meat, etc.
  • transformedj
    Options
    Glad to read that! I'm aiming to be low-carb and sugar-free by the end of this year, but DH and I are TTC this year too.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    It's calories and nutrients that the baby needs, not excessive carbs. Make sure you are eating plenty of calories and that a healthy portion of those calories comes from fat. The baby needs fats and protein. Don't worry too much about losing weight just watch to not gain too much weight. You will probably want to eat no less than 2000 calories a day. Take your prenatal vitamins. Avoid all lunch meats and limit fish.