new to this

Options
hi all,

recommended by a friend on here to check this group out. ive been an MFP member for about a year. My friend was telling me to look up my TDEE calculations. and i couldnt believe how little I have been eating! While wondering why I cant seem to loose anything. I dont full understand all this but I will learn. Thanks all!

Replies

• floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Read the pinned topics, watch the video faqs and enjoy eating again!!! :)
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Eating more is wonderful!!

I have lost more eating this way than when I was eating 1200 cals.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    First of all, WELCOME!! If you are stuck on a plateau, terrified of gaining back everything you have worked so hard to lose, or dreading a lifetime of starvation and deprivation, please learn everything you can about this process. Read the forums (especially those tacked at the top...), ask questions, gather like-minded friends and jump in! You have to have patience, but it is so worth it! I only wish I had the knowledge I have today about 40 years ago, when I first started "dieting"…..

I have battled with my weight for as long as I can remember – always either being “on a diet” or totally out of control (and in denial) with my eating, at one point I hit an all-time high of 260 pounds ( a definite low point of my life…)

I joined MFP and started on the typical 1,200 calories a day. Over the course of about 5 months I lost 50 pounds, but then, just like every other time before, I hit that plateau. My natural reaction was to eat less and exercise more (which, as we all know, does not work…). The difference this time was my MFP friends. In the past, I would have gotten discouraged and quit, but this time I had support of my friends. Some of them saw that I was eating less and less and adding more and more cardio. Several times I posted about getting discouraged and stuck, and several of my friends directed me to the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group.

In May of 2012, I joined EM2WL and read, and read, and read. It all made sense in my brain, but I was terrified to take the plunge and "up" my calories. I was only 10 pounds from my goal weight of 150 and could not imagine gaining any weight back yet again.

Over the next month or so, I upped my calories from 1,000 to 1,800, and then finally to 2,000 calories a day. I made it through that process without gaining any weight, and in fact over the next few months, I was able to slowly get down to my goal weight of 150 !

After gathering like-minded friends on MFP, I noticed that the weight lifting was a common theme amongst those having success, so I decided to give it a try, and am so glad I did (even at the age of 49...) Lifting heavy has given me the most surprising results and truly changed the shape of my body. Even while maintaining my weight, I have continued to get smaller and “tighter”. I have gone from wearing a size 8 or 10 to a consistent size 6 (and even the occasional 4…)

It is not a quick process, but if you are willing to give it some time, it is definitley a process you can stick with for life, because you are not hungry. Please feel free to add me if you would like additional support --- come on it, the water's fine!! :-D

Anitra