Gloves

Anyone using them? I'm on workout three of Stage 3 and this is the first stage my hands have bothered me. I don't so much care about the look or appearance of callouses, but they hurt! My husband keeps telling me to buy gloves but I feel like they'd be more of a pain then they're worth, anyone have any experience using them? Oh yeah, if you have gotten calloused up, how long did it take till they were hard, and not red and painful!

Replies

• suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    I always wear gloves when I lift; it is much more comfortable. My skin is really sensitive. I still get callouses, but they aren't painful. And the gloves aren't any bother at all. I've also started using straps for deadlifts, which has enabled me to lift heavier than w/o. Hope this helps.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    I have Versa Gripps and no callouses! I used "regular" gloves for Stages 1 and 2. I've been using my Versa Gripps for Stage 3 and they are much better than my other gloves.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I'm one of those non-glove wearers who is "callused up" :D I train with kettlebells in addition to barbells, so I probably toughened my hands up a bit faster than someone who only trains with barbells and dumbbells would. I'm pretty sure I had my calluses settled in after about a month's worth of regular training. Even though my hands are in pretty good shape, there are times here and there when I lose a callus and I am unable to lift or use my KBs for a couple days, but it's really not a big deal. It's happened twice in the past six months.

If you're going gloveless, I highly recommend reading up on hand care (Neghar Fonooni has a great blog post on the subject) so that you know how to maintain your calluses. For me, I am able to just keep them filed down with a pumice stone, making sure there aren't any rough edges to catch and tear...that seems to work pretty well. Other people use callus shavers, nail clippers, etc. etc.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Okay, I haven't been wearing them. But today a guy who has obviously been lifting a long time came over and gave me a speech about how basically men are pigs and the barbells etc are filthy and I should get some gloves. So needless to say I'm a little sleeved now! :laugh:
  • In my gym they have disinfectant gel right by the lifting area so it is nice to just stop by there when you start and finish. That way, you won't be bothered by the germophobia. I personally use fingerless gloves to lift because as soon as I take start using over 8 kg 'bells, (18 pounds) I get sore. The gloves makes it easier to pull and push more weight around and I like that. Before I got up to these weights, I went gloveless and it didn't bother me a bit.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    I had to get gloves in Stage 5. I was using 35 lb dumbells for some lifts, and my forearms were hurting so badly! The gloves help a lot, although I got the 1/2 finger kind, and I still get calluses at my second knuckle.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,106 Member
    I always use gloves.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    I always wear gloves when I lift; it is much more comfortable. My skin is really sensitive. I still get callouses, but they aren't painful. And the gloves aren't any bother at all. I've also started using straps for deadlifts, which has enabled me to lift heavier than w/o. Hope this helps.

Can you tell me more about the straps you use? I could deadlift more but my grip is too weak for now!