The Internet is full of videos with horrible kettlebell form

Options
ItsCasey
ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
I seem to watch endless kettlebell videos online, mostly to learn new workouts from people who appear to be well-educated on kettlebell training and who seem to have achieved the level of leanness for which I am aiming. I am horrified by some of the videos that are out there, and I really hope the people in this group have not suffered unduly as a result of studying bad form.

It is well-documented that Jillian Michaels probably should not be teaching anyone how to do anything with a kettlebell, but for those looking for free videos online, there are random people posting such videos on YouTube, and some of them seem really fit or have jobs that would make the average "I'm looking for the next big thing" workout rookie believe that they probably know what they are talking about.

Here is one of the worst ones I have seen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4yo5vG_Iak

Everything about her swing is wrong. Her clean & press is going to end up giving her (and her viewers) a shoulder injury, not to mention bruised forearms. And I am utterly disgusted that anyone would use a beautiful piece of equipment like a kettlebell to do curls. The problem is that people who don't know anything about kettlebells will see this girl and how fit she obviously is and go "oh, well, she must know what she's doing." Wrong. She is clueless. She very clearly does a lot of strength training, but it is very clearly NOT with kettlebells.

Same thing with this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QUb8vVnGo4

As one of the video's commenters said, I'm not sure he did a single exercise with proper form, but he's a firefighter, and he looks like he's in great shape, so people just buy into this nonsense like it's gold. They try the workout, it makes them sweat and/or breathe really hard, so they think it's working, and they just continue until they're on an orthopedic surgeon's table.

So I guess this is a PSA for kettlebell beginners, especially with the New Year on the way ... if you're thinking of trying out kettlebells, get some PROPER training. Take a class with an RKC-certified trainer if you can, or at very least look up the websites/blogs and YouTube channels of some real kettlebell trainers and learn as much as you possibly can. Kettlebells are outstanding and very safe fitness tools when used properly. When used without guidance or solid instruction, they can be very, very dangerous.

Here's an example for the ladies. Men, feel free to chime in.

The RIGHT way to do kettlebell swings (then go find Neghar Fonooni's YouTube channel): http://www.girlsgonestrong.com/5-tips-for-a-better-kettlebell-swing/

Replies

• KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    One of the nice things about kettlebells is that as soon as you start going heavier with the weight, you quickly learn whether your technique is sound or not. One of the hard things about kettlebells is that as soon as you start going heavier with the weight, you quickly learn whether your technique is sound or not. You can only get away with poor technique for so long...definitely better to work with someone who will call you on mistakes and avoid injury!

There was a Reebok video out a while back where a woman was using a 5 lb kettlebell in almost hilarious ways...that's another one to stay away from.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Here's another great swing tutorial from Delaine Ross, RKC Team Leader:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-LvhjWh1vA

I also recommend Neghar Fonooni's videos. Marianne Kane of myomytv.com is also sound. So is Tracy Reifkind.

Steve Cotter, Dan John, Mark Reifkind, Pavel Tsatsouline...all great if you want to see a guy in action.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Surely preaching to the choir on this group though
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Franz Snideman (Revolution Fitness) and Mike Mahler both post excellent quality kettlebell workout videos. And they won't get you hurt.

As far as those other videos.....I don't think there's enough room here to point out everything that's wrong.
  • ItsCasey
    Options

I also recommend Neghar Fonooni's videos. Marianne Kane of myomytv.com is also sound. So is Tracy Reifkind.

Steve Cotter, Dan John, Mark Reifkind, Pavel Tsatsouline...all great if you want to see a guy in action.

I love Marianne Kane's videos. She works so hard, and I like seeing someone who isn't a professional trainer showing people that it's possible to have a full-time job outside of the fitness industry and still make time to get in wicked shape. I recently watched some of her older videos (from around 2010), and her technique has improved dramatically since then, as has her body. It is so nice to see real evidence of a woman training with heavy weights who only gets leaner and hotter, as opposed to big and bulky.
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I second this. If that helps. I have Pavel's videos and they've worked well for me.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I loved the quote on Neghar's site: if your swings look dirty, you're doing it right!
  • deedles42
    Options
    I love everything Lauren Brooks does. And Tracy Reifkind. A lot of people also do not know the difference of American KB or Sport/competition. And to me crossfit kb looks downright painful.
  • Lupercalia
    Options
    Crossfit on the whole looks painful to me! :tongue: I was listening to a podcast the other night that seemed to be Crossfit specific, but was about kettlebell training, which is why I was listening as I'm not a Crossfitter. The two guys talking were saying that KBs aren't really used that often in the Crossfit WODs, and when they do come up, it's either swings, snatches, or TGUs FOR TIME! That last bit freaked me out....TGUs for time, really? TGU is meant to be a slow and careful exercise (a grind) that demands a lot of focus of the person performing it. It's just not something one should ever rush through...so dangerous with a heavy bell overhead!

The guys were also talking about the lack of variety with the KB exercises that do come up in the WODs, kind of having a moan about that, and talking about all the other great exercises one can do with KBs but that aren't included in Crossfit WODs.

I don't know enough about Crossfit to really comment at length on that. Perhaps things have changed since whenever that podcast was recorded, I don't know.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I think crossfit started off well, from what I saw, but like many things became worse and worse the more popular it got. If kettlebells hadn't become popular, there would be no american swing, no kbs in lb weights, no dinky aerobics kbs, no jillian michaels demos, and people wouldn't be getting confused about what is or isn't the correct form, weight or exercise.
  • AmyBoogie
    AmyBoogie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think crossfit started off well, from what I saw, but like many things became worse and worse the more popular it got. If kettlebells hadn't become popular, there would be no american swing, no kbs in lb weights, no dinky aerobics kbs, no jillian michaels demos, and people wouldn't be getting confused about what is or isn't the correct form, weight or exercise.

The American Money Machine seems to be really stellar at taking something good and solid then breeding the hell out of it with stuff that sells, turning into some bastardized useless piece of flop. It's not just exercises but everything. I'm glad I learned about kettlebells before they got too popular so that majority of the information I had wasn't the sparkly spandex version.

Now.... all that said..... If the sparkly spandex version is what people need to get healthy then the more power to 'em. If they start sparkly and turn out to use the gritty original version then that's even better. What we as a society do to things like kettlebell,yoga,crossfit, etc can seem annoying but there is a reason, it's what the general population wants and needs to some extent. Those that get serious will dig for the real work. Those that find this isn't for them will move on to the next fad until something finally speaks to them.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Although I mentioned the American swing, and mention an American (I assume) trainer/entertainer, I feel it's not American culture that's to blame.

I'm in the UK, and the same thing happens here. Although some of the source for the fitness industry or consumers is from America, I believe it is more a product of human nature, no matter the society.

People fear and scorn that which is different, and people always look for an easy solution.

And they must like spandex and vinyl.... or something.
  • AmyBoogie
    AmyBoogie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am in the US and as Americans we're very self centered. hahaha Of course, I should know it's the same in many areas. I guess I always hope that people elsewhere don't rely on the sparkle as much as it seems people do here. The repackaging and making this pop and sparkle for general consumers can seem way off kilter sometimes. Hopefully the spandex and vinyl is helping someone other than those making the money off of the video sales.
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    The two guys talking were saying that KBs aren't really used that often in the Crossfit WODs, and when they do come up, it's either swings, snatches, or TGUs FOR TIME! That last bit freaked me out....TGUs for time, really? TGU is meant to be a slow and careful exercise (a grind) that demands a lot of focus of the person performing it. It's just not something one should ever rush through...so dangerous with a heavy bell overhead!

It hasn't changed. This is what Crossfit is. I saw a video last week of two women in a Crossfit gym doing squat cleans for time. Since when are Olympic lifts meant to be done against the clock? The women both had horrible squat form, and their coach, instead of correcting them, was just standing there saying "more speed!" The only that makes heavy lifting + bad form more dangerous is heavy lifting + bad form + speed.

And I do not like the concept of the WOD at all. There's no point to it ... no programming, no strength or hypertrophy or fat-loss goal being trained for, no purpose. It's just a bunch of exercises randomly thrown together and done at a high volume on a regular basis. I said this on the main fitness & exercise forum last week, but it bears repeating: that's not training; it's just burning calories.

Dan John frequently makes fun of the Crossfit-style WOD on his Twitter feed by coming up with his own versions. Last week, one of them was "Double-unders, box jumps, Achilles surgery."
  • Lupercalia
    Options
    Haha, well I'm an American in the UK and I think you're both right! :laugh:
  • KidP
    Options
    Well, if that fellow in that previous video tried whatever he's doing with more weight, he'd learn pretty quickly not to do it that way. The hard way.

In response to something from above, I jokingly asked my instructor if we were ever going to do Turkish Get-ups for time. He laughed. As an aside, i taught my grade 2 kids at school to do TGUs as part of our gym class starting exercises (with no weight - not once did i tell them that people do it with weight for fear of someone trying something crazy at home & getting hurt).
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    As an aside, i taught my grade 2 kids at school to do TGUs as part of our gym class starting exercises (with no weight - not once did i tell them that people do it with weight for fear of someone trying something crazy at home & getting hurt).

I have found with my 9 year old that the balance-the-shoe-on-the-fist style works well for teaching focus/balance etc.
  • KidP
    Options
    I thought about that but in the end went with bean bags. That way if it fell on their face, no harm done. I like the shoe on fist idea better. With one or two kids, i would have done the shoe, but with 20 something kids, i couldn't risk it.