Replies

• IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hashimoto's 2010.. age ekkkkk 44 =) and 35 pounds sigh
  • queenvic228
    queenvic228 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was diagnosed with Grave's disease at 36 (November 2011) and my entire thyroid was removed in March 2012. I was hyper now I'm hypo. I'm currently on Synthroid 168 and my doctor is still trying to find the correct dose.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at 15, but several doctors had noticed I had a goiter long before I ever was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I also had reynaud's symptoms as a kid and several other symptoms. Since the symptoms were vague and I was otherwise a healthy kid, doctors didn't piece it all together.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was diagnosed with Grave's disease at 36 (November 2011) and my entire thyroid was removed in March 2012. I was hyper now I'm hypo. I'm currently on Synthroid 168 and my doctor is still trying to find the correct dose.

I would look at taking a natural/dessicated med like Armour or Nature Thyroid. Your thyroid produced much of the T3 your body needs to function, and without it you are already starting at a deficit with T3. As well, the synthetic T4 in Synthroid is not bioidentical to your body's T4 and is harder for your body to convert.

Most people feel MUCH better and "back to normal" when they switch to a natural thyroid med.

(I was diagnosed at age 16 with Graves, had my thryoidectomy a few months ago at age 36)
  • Qwiss
    Qwiss Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Graves in 2008 at 42 years old. But in looking at older blood tests from 2005, I had Graves back then and I think I've had it even earlier than that due to radiation exposure while in the military from the mid-80s.
  • acbeach
    acbeach Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at 20. I didn't have any noticeable symptoms, it was just diagnosed after routine bloodwork. I was put on a low dose (50 mcg), which was upped to 88 mcg a couple years later and has stayed there since.
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at nine with Hashimoto's. My first blood draw was a nightmare, too. It's a wonder I don't hate needles or doctors!
  • tisane42
    tisane42 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was 29 but had been having symptoms for years. I don't know if it was having a different doctor or my symptoms just got worse.
  • boophil
    boophil Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    :smile: :smile: I was 29 when I was diagnosed. I honestly don't remember if I had symptoms, but it was found during a fertility workup. I can't believe I've been on the meds for almost 12 years now!
  • mrsnelson16
    mrsnelson16 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 and was diagnosed with Graves Disease in September 2012 after dropping weight like crazy. The weight loss made me feel so good.:smile: I felt like I was getting my old self back. Until it got out of control with a bunch of other crazy symptoms. After having radioactive therapy to make me go from being hyper to hypo. The weight has gradually come back:sad: . However, it has given be a bit inspiration on making healthier choices to get this weight off. 2013 is my year, but I commit to doing thing the right way!!!

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I CAN !!!
  • xxxMumof2xxx
    Options
    Hi,

I am 28 now and was diagnosed at 15 :) I am on 150mcgs now but started on 25mcg. I was only tested because my father, gran and aunt are hypo. Lucky me, I got to join the family tradition lol
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosed last week at the age of 30

ive had symptoms for years but told everything was because im overweight
    i started to get alot worse 9 months ago, pains in my limbs racheted right up, sleeping 12 hours + and still tired, losing sensation and strength in my arms, cold but clammy etc

i lost strength in my legs in september and fell down stairs and have walked with a stick since so was referred to metabolic bone clinic when vit d tests came back low ( doc pinned everything on that )

bone doc dismissed the vit d stuff and tested thyroid and flagged it up.

the gp decided to wait and see testing my levels a few times, each time the number got worse

i was pumped full of painkillers and several courses of antibiotics as i kept getting reoccoring chest infections
    ive bled constantly for 4 months so she sent me for a scan where even thou i told them there was zero chance of me being pregnant i was made to do a pregnancy test. when it indeed came back negative i was told they dont know why im bleeding but the scan looked like early pregnancy to them

2 weeks ago she decided to do an antibody test which came back sky high, i was to be tested for anemia at the same time but they lost the second vial of blood

so a week ago i was told to take 50mcg of levothyroxine and that the bleedings most likely caused by my thyroid levels

right now im feeling worse than ever. im sleeping up to 16 hours a night and falling asleep if i sit for longer than 10 minutes, cant wait for it to kick in!
  • incognitopotato
    incognitopotato Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was 20 when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's, but I had been having symptoms for years. No weight gain, but I was constantly exhausted, sleeping all the time, and craved sweets when I crashed in the afternoons. Turns out my TSH was 12 and anti-TPO antibodies were crazy high.

Funny enough, I was taking a class on endocrinology at the time I was diagnosed. There's nothing like real-life relevance to make you study more :)
  • mcheather14
    mcheather14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was 22 at diagnosis, am now 38. My TSh was 208, they had me re-tested because they had never seen a TSH so high. Came back the same of course. Been fighting weight issues ever since diagnosis. I am a medical lab tech and work closely with my doc to keep it under 1.0 at all times, sometimes it goes wonky, but we get it fixed with med adjustments.
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was 14. Hasimotos/ Hypothyroidisn and a goiter with nodules. Im creeping up on 45. Long hard battle
  • Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimotos at 24, after I had my daughter. I'm almost 27 now. They told me that my levels were at those of a 60 year old. I also have a nodule that they're watching. And I had a goiter but it's gone down with meds.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was 20 (I'm 28 now.) I've had symptoms since I was about 14 years old.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimotos at 24, after I had my daughter. I'm almost 27 now. They told me that my levels were at those of a 60 year old. I also have a nodule that they're watching. And I had a goiter but it's gone down with meds.

Keep the faith :-) I had 3 that completely disappeared, even with my thyroid levels not optimized.
  • WineMaiden
    Options
    I am waiting another two weeks to get my anitbodies test to verify Hashimoto's. I am on levothyroxine and am the highest weight of my life. It is so frustrating. I am 44.
  • TheTrym
    TheTrym Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I got the diagnosis at 20 if memory serves me right (36 now). A doc was feeling my neck when I was in for a throat infection and told me I should have some blood drawn "just to check".. :p I've spent most of the years since then undermedicated, since all the gp's went with the "ah, it's within normal range now", it was only recently I saw an endo who told me I needed TSH to stay under 2. My current doc is in the loop now, and also checks t3 if I ask for it (since t4 and tsh is the standard).