Reset is freaking me out. Ack!!

Options
greenmeena
greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
Hi all,
I think I just need some support here...
I joined MFP in the late fall, and of course it recommended I eat 1200 calories- which I did, dutifully, hungrily. I was at that time running 5 miles 4 x per week and working out on nautilus machines. I wasn't comfortable eating so little, so I was psyched when I found Road Map and it led me to this group.

I know that I have a history of a metabolic crash because I went through a rough break up in 2010 that put me into grief anorexia (eating way below my BMR) for 1.5 years. It made me lose some weight so I thought, oh, I must be "that age" (I am 37 now) where you just don't eat as much. Total BS. Anyway, this year I finally started eating normally and went from 135 to 145, and was very unhappy about that. Which is when I joined MFP.

On the 1200 VLCD I went down to 139, but since I've joined EM2WL I've gone up to 150!!!!!!!! (I am 5'4 1/2) OMG that is so not excellent. I am lifting heavy now, free weights, 3 times a week, and I also do 30 day shred but not everyday. I'm active nearly every day. My measurements were improving for a while but I am definitely feeling my clothes are too tight.

My BMR is 1425 or so. When I calculate TDEE I am at 2100 or so. I usually aim for about 2000. Yes, there's definitely been more sugar/ wine during the holidays but I still manage to keep myself around 2000. I know it is best to do a reset for 8 weeks, as recommended... but this is killing my self esteem here. I'm so bummed that I'm heavier than I have ever been. (At least I still just look curvy, lol, but my clothes aren't fitting!!) :(

So- stick with it? Am I doing something wrong? Everyone on here said they gained some weight initially. I must have really tanked my metabolism to have gone up this much. I'm so sad about that, it makes me want to panic and cut now but I know that will not be the right answer. Support? Would love some. Thanks so much.

Replies

• timvet
    timvet Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am sorry if you posted this, but how far are you into your reset? Have you taken pictures? I went through a similar situation with my reset and I have now gained 8 pounds total and I am past my reset and onto my cut currently but I am the same size. I have gone down a little bit in measurements but my pictures tell it all, as well as does my husbands comments. I am lifting what I consider pretty heavy right now, and when I first started lifting with my reset I gained a bunch of weight, which was mostly water. Do you have your macros set at 30/40/30? Please hang in there it will be worth it! Remember you are teaching your body you won't starve it anymore and you want to fuel it properly now. Please feel free to friend me!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. It is going to take your body some time to adjust. But you will be happy you did after you get through the awkward time.
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi- thanks so much for replying. I started mid December (12/12 I believe) but had slowly been coming up in calories in the 2 weeks before; so I'd say safely that it's only been 2-3 weeks. I was just surprised to go up so much. I definitely am relieved to be eating this amount, my energy is great, I'm not cranky or distracted anymore. Amazing, when you fuel your body! I will stick with it, I'm just really unhappy that it climbed so much. :(
  • timvet
    timvet Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I didn't weigh myself the entire reset so I wouldn't get side tracked. You can do this, you will be so happy you did!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi- thanks so much for replying. I started mid December (12/12 I believe) but had slowly been coming up in calories in the 2 weeks before; so I'd say safely that it's only been 2-3 weeks. I was just surprised to go up so much. I definitely am relieved to be eating this amount, my energy is great, I'm not cranky or distracted anymore. Amazing, when you fuel your body! I will stick with it, I'm just really unhappy that it climbed so much. :(

So in like 2 weeks you gained 10 lbs?

While some may be fat as you were eating over your suppressed TDEE until your metabolism kept going up, keep in mind some facts, if you believe this to be totally fat.

10 lbs fat @ 3500 calories/ lb = 35000 calories excess over 14 days.
    That would mean you would have had to be eating in excess of even a suppressed TDEE 2500 calories each and every day.

Since you were only eating 2000, this obviously didn't happen, and you didn't gain that much fat.

Maybe 500 calories in excess for some time.

The bigger impact is eating in excess to suppressed TDEE while lifting heavy. You've added LBM, maybe even a very little muscle. But even if not muscle since only 2 wks, extra LBM is higher metabolism. Besides heavier now too.

So your BMR and TDEE estimate went up.

Just as amount of weight lost weekly slows as metabolism lowers, you should see amount of weight gain weekly slow as metabolism raises.