Trying to put on the pounds!

Options
I am 32 and 112 lbs. A couple of years ago I was near 150 and wanted to lose. I started running and the weight fell off. I was comfortable at around 130 but then stress and other things caused me to keep losing. Now, I can't gain back to save my life. If one more person tells me that they would gladly give me their weight I am going to scream. I want to get back to around 130 and fast but I know it takes time. I am tired of buying the same clothes in different sizes.

It's nice to know that there are others out there with the same issue!

-Nisha

Replies

• Larmed3
    Options
    Hi, I'm a uk size 4. I am also trying to put on weight and have not seen people who also want to do the same. You are the first :)
  • mgloreth
    Options
    Hi, I'm here to gain weight also, I'm at 120 lbs looking to put on 20 lbs or so. I've always been skinny and never liked it.
  • dadeogba
    Options
    I'm trying to gain weight as well. It was hard at first eating so many calories but it's becoming easier. I've gained 2 pds so far and I can't wait to hit my goal. I'm 5'6", 109 pds right now. I'm trying for 120. Good luck to you guys. Just keep at it. Nothing worth having comes easy.
  • DGarnier
    DGarnier Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've always been "skinny" and it took me forever to get to 112 on 5'6" frame ~ I was so very proud of myself! I felt healthy, looked healthy. Then I went through a stressful period about a year and a half ago and lost the weight, it seemed like, in a couple of days. I still haven't been able to put the weight back on. I weigh right now 99 pounds and want to get to my 112 "perfect" weight. If anyone is up for a partner I'd be glad to be there for them! :smile:
  • jrjchow
    jrjchow Posts: 10
    Options
    Good to see more people working on looking/feeling healthy. A year ago, I started out at 114 lbs at 5'7". I wasn't exercising and eating the right foods for weight gain. I got a trainer/coach that's helped me put on some weight up to 127.5 lbs now. I dropped body fat and gained muscle so now I'm toned and getting on track for having a cut, healthy, physique model look.

The habits that really turned things around for me:

- Eating enough protein for muscle maintenance and gain (I eat about 1-1.5 grams/lb body weight)
    - Eating enough good fats (avocado, whole eggs, olive oil, coconut oil, nut butters, fat in lean meats)
    - Eating enough calories over my BMR
    - Eating real food (no protein bars, no juice, nothing processed)
    - Drink water, lots of water
    - Strength training...lifting free weights, cable machines
    - Cardio...sprints, walking, very minimal long runs

In case you didn't notice, I listed a lot of eating changes. They are an absolute must to make your work outs effective. Ever see the folks in the gym doing endless cardio/weights that have guts or look flabby/unhealthy? They are not eating well. It starts in the belly!

Ladies, don't worry about "bulking up". You won't...unless you have some type of hormonal imbalance/disorder where your body doesn't register your estrogen. You won't bulk unless you really push yourself at bodybuilding, Ms. Olympia level weights. I've been lifting progressively heavier over the year and have yet to bust out of a shirt like the Hulk. I'm able to do pull ups, push ups, dips, do deadlifts...none of which have given me that massive look. What it does do is sculpt the body so that you don't just look bigger in your weight gain, but toned and healthy. Endless cardio does nothing but reduce you to skinny fat--and that's not sexy!

Keep it up people...it's only day 10 of 2013! You've got the rest of your life to look great :)