Early menopause for vegetarians?

Options
firedragon064
firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
I'm 48F. When I switched to become a vegetarian 4 months again. I stopped have my period for 2 months
then i read that being vegetarian may cause early menopause so I start to eat meat about 2 meals a week
and my period come back for 2 months now. I don't know if it was a vegetarian thing or it's just pre-menopause?
I'll plan to do full time vegetarian again to see if I have this problem again.

Replies

• Marie12059
    Options
    hi, I also saw a pattern here. for me it was about 9 yrs ago, and i agree there is an unproven connection. I was lucky, as i got healthier as a veg my menopause got easier.
  • terricakes
    terricakes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi i have been an ovo lacto vegetarian for 27 years. I am 49 and was told by my doctor that i was peri menopausal at the age of 38. I am, however, apart from the odd little blip over the years, as regular as clockwork and have no other symptoms. I have therefore concluded that that my GP must have been wrong. My mother was only 39 so i actually did expect an earlier menopause but it hasn't yet happened, i am glad to say. I wasn't aware of the link to vegetarianism. Interesting topic.
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The average age of menopause for women in the USA is 52. So age 48 doesn't seem off to me for you to have it. I also don't see it as a problem if your periods stop if you're otherwise healthy because that means you're ready for it. The reality is that most meats come from animals raised on antibiotics, steroids and artificial hormones so it seems to me that eating meat would cause more of a problem than going without it. There does need to be more research to see what the connection, if any, is between diet and onset of menopause. I'm betting though that many things we think are 'normal' because of the mainstream meat eating diet will be re-evaluated once more research is done.

My periods stopped at age 52 and I became a vegetarian at age 55. It made it all easier for me as I had fewer hot flashes, etc when I changed my diet. Now I'm a vegan and find that's even better...

Best wishes!
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Maybe it has something to do with your age??? I became a vegetarian in my 20's and now I'm in my 40's and never missed a cycle.