Lap band?

Options
Hey ladies.. Im 26 years old I have 3 children ages from 2-7 and ive gained alot of weight since my 1st child.. was 167 before getting pregnant with her and now 7 years later i weigh 270 :( im so uncomfortable in my body..i hate putting clothes on cuz i dont like the way they fit..i wanna be healthy not just for me but for my kids..i wanna be around for them to grow up and have kids of their own..but if i dont do something about this weight and change my lifestyle and eating habits I;m afraid that i wont..my cousin about 6 years ago did the Lap Band and she was bigger than me and now shes maybe a size 3 or smaller...I wanna call the surgeon next week to schedule something cuz i know you have to do counseling and such 1st..but has anyone had bad experience with the lap band before? just kinda scared

Replies

• healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion but I would not go into this with tunnel vision of that being the procedure you want. You really need to discuss with the surgeons office and your PTP if you have one and follow the advise of the correct procedure for YOU. Based on everyone's different health situations, there may be reasons why they would want to do one procedure over another. Don't limit your options, think about the pros and cons of each and every one. Also, based on whatever insurance you have they may or may not approve some of the procedures, your doc will know what is best for YOU and you can then decide together. I commend you on taking the first step!!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion but I would not go into this with tunnel vision of that being the procedure you want. You really need to discuss with the surgeons office and your PTP if you have one and follow the advise of the correct procedure for YOU. Based on everyone's different health situations, there may be reasons why they would want to do one procedure over another. Don't limit your options, think about the pros and cons of each and every one. Also, based on whatever insurance you have they may or may not approve some of the procedures, your doc will know what is best for YOU and you can then decide together. I commend you on taking the first step!!

I agree completely. My surgeon decided which procedure was best for my medical needs and for my convenience too. I'm really glad that I put my trust in him.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Do not do the lap band!! I had to have mine converted to a sleeve. Love my sleeve!

I had the lab band July 2010. Everything was fine I was losing slowly, but I was happy. Because I was paying cash the doctor only gave adjustments for the first 12 months and I was eight months out. So he tightened it too much and it slipped. I couldn't keep anything down, even water.

I have to go right now, but feel free to message me and I'll give you more details if you want.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    As with any type of surgery or medical procedure - there are risks involved with all. You will hear horror stories about all three kinds of Weight Loss Surgery. People choose the one that is best for them and meets their needs. I chose the LapBand. i have 6 friends - two who had GBP, four who had the band. One of the banders did convert her band to the sleeve but it was because she didn't want to work with the band. One of the GBP friends has gained every single pound back and is considering getting banded. One of the other banders won't work with it and the other two banders - are doing wonderful. The other GBP is also doing great. I talked to each one of these friends, asking why they chose the path they took. Thoughts, comments, tips, pros and cons. I then discussed this with my Hubby and my PCP doc. My surgeon does not do the GBP anymore but because I chose the lapband - he was a good fit for me. I did alot of research. If you are interested in having any of the surgeries - look at ObesityHelp.com. And there are a couple of other WLS specific sites - ie Lapbandtalk.com. I would recommend the Lapband but then it is working for me and I am working for it. I would have loved to have the rapid weight loss that GBP and Sleeves see but chose the band.

If your surgeon offers a support group - go. Mine does and I have gotten alot of good info from the people that come. Feel free to add me or message me if you have any questions. I will tell you how I feel and will not try to talk you out of any decision you make. :tongue:

g
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve done. My doctor will do the lap band but doesn't recommend it. I have a niece who had the lap band done, lost 15 pounds and gained it back. My doctor told me the lap band doesn't work for everyone. That is why he recommended the sleeve. I guess it's different for everyone, what may work for some may not for others. You just have to weigh it all and talk to a doctor and see what is best for you.