Your Horse

Options
2»

Replies

• foxyninja398
    foxyninja398 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My family breeds and shows miniature horses and shetland ponies. Right now we have 21 with three babies due between the end of Feb. and the end of April. We are mostly into driving but dabble in halter, jumping/hunter in hand, trail in hand, and liberty as well.

Here are our horses barn names:
    ~Ferris (filly)
    ~Kira (mare)
    ~Eva (filly)
    ~Mimi (mare- due March)
    ~Belle (mare- due April)
    ~Roy (gelding)
    ~Aidan (stud)
    ~Cass (stud)
    ~Yuki (mare)
    ~Darla (mare)
    ~Zeke (stud)
    ~Envy (mare)
    ~Lena (mare- first time mom due March)
    ~Dev (gelding)
    ~Ruby (mare)
    ~Kyoko (mare)
    ~Heidi (filly)
    ~Risa (filly)
    ~Drake (gelding)
    ~Goaty (filly)
    ~Helga (filly)
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Foxy!

Holy Moly. How much fun are you having??? I read your profile and saw your amazing accomplishments! that must be fun.

so for Hunter Jumper do you shorten the manes and braid? I think I have seen that on You Tube?

I am very interested in learning more about driving prep.

dawn
  • foxyninja398
    foxyninja398 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Can't do much with the ponies this time of year with all the snow, but summer is always busy that's for sure! This year we have 6 young ones getting started in cart and 4 that just need finishing before show season starts. And we are starting to get into breeding season pretty soon here as well. You can see why I don't have a job away from home.

For the hunter and jumper classes typically at the smaller shows the horses are shown with a regular full mane and tail, but at the larger shows we braid (for pony and mini you don't typically shorten the mane). We usually do either a spiderweave or running braid for the mane. The minis are a little more high maintanence for showing than regular horses since they don't shed out quite like the big horses do so we have to bodyclip before almost every show as well.

Youtube has videos for a lot of the mini classes (if you search for AMHR a lot of times you can see video from the national show, I know there is at least one chariot video on there as well.)
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Foxy I will definitely check You Tube. Are you up?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anyone is interested here is my horse's sire. His fee was 25k but with the economy they really dropped it. He is the highest producing (his babies make the most money) stallion OUTSIDE of Kentucky for 7 or 8 straight years.

and YES of course I visited him at the stallion station off season. Definitely stamped Sunny with his wonderful personality!
  • ToBeCountry
    ToBeCountry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Illinois here. Very blessed to be able to keep them at my parents house that I grew up on. I trail ride and enjoy doing some "fun shows" and obstacle courses.

Anni - Paint mare. 19 years. Bought in October 2010.

Cajun - Arab Cross gelding. 10 years. Adopted from rescue in April 2012.

Misty Mae - Miniature mare. 15 years. Gift given to my special needs daughter in 2007.

Had a Haflinger gelding and a Shire mare before this herd. I co-owned them with a friend that took them when she moved.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ireland, currently part-loaning a lovely little gelding. Was on my university equestrian team, but I'm not really competetive, I'd rather just muck around out in the forest. Luckily, Jackson agrees.

I invented a word for horses before I could even talk. My mother had one when I was about 10-15, an Arab mare. Still behaved like a bronco well into her 20s, but only with a good rider. For me, she was a perfect angel!