Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Phase 3 - Workout 9

a_new_dawn
a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
Super-intense moves inspired in part by power yoga and hardcore bootcamp. Lightening fast cardio bursts incinerate calories and fire up metabolism.

The warm up: Speed rope, High front kicks, mountain climbers, squat jumping jacks

Circuit 1: Push Up Jacks, Plank Flys, Sumo "calf" Squats,

Circuit 2: Dive Bomber push up, Ab hold push-up, Down dog sequence, side burpees, frog-to-squat jumps.

Circuit 3: Single-Leg Squat to plank, yoga Chair pose, Boat pose to Hollow Man, reverse crunches with resistance, Plank Moguls

Circuit 4: Squats with a V Raise, lateral arm raise with a "curtsy", crab dips, Side plank crunches, Rock and Rolls

Replies

• Wow! WOs 9 and 10 are so much more enjoyable than 7 and 8 IMO! Really enjoying them
  • WO9 is in the books! Ha!
  • a_new_dawn
    Phase 3 has begun for me, and it wasn't as bad as i'd anticipated. I did expect a massive jump in intensity, mainly because the warm-up throws you straight into it with some fast cardio, giving you the impression you have an extremely intense workout ahead...but it actually wasn't too bad considering it's the final month.

I do advise you to preview this DVD before doing it for the first time, moves such as dive-bombers are a bit awkward to follow when you are in down-dog and have to crane your neck to see the TV!

Side burpees are a little odd - i found that i couldn't get my legs out as straight as the guys on the DVD - but practice will make perfect!

Side planks put pressure on my pathetically thin wrists but i managed to get through them ok.

Moguls could be quite scary to some - i'm glad i already did these in 6W6P.

Rock and rolls - I was terrible at these in an earlier JM workout (30DS or RI30 - i can't remember which one) and i'm still terrible at them. I can do the roll back fine, but i cannot get back to my feet in one continuous movement, even with my hands down. I kinda have to twist myself to lift myself back off the floor. LifeIsNotADressRehearsal has suggested a cannon ball & rock start jumps combo alternative, which sounds good to me!
  • a_new_dawn
    Yesterday was my 2nd attempt at this. I found that i felt ALOT of pressure in my wrists, especially in side planks crunches. I try my best not to modify but I'm thinking i might have to on this move, and come down onto my forearm. I can push through a little bit of discomfort, it comes as part of a workout, but this discomfort feels different and i don't want to risk injury. Perhaps a wrist support might help.

ab hold push-ups - i can do these, but only when one arm slightly leads the other, i find it impossible to lift with both arms.
  • a_new_dawn
    I still feel pressure in my wrists, i haven't had chance to get any sort of wrist support yet and i can't risk any injury so i am modifying as follows:

ab hold push up - i am doing a dolphin pose with reps (taken from yoga meltdown)
    side plank crunch - on forearm rather than palm (this actually still gives a good 'crunch')
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    Wow! WOs 9 and 10 are so much more enjoyable than 7 and 8 IMO! Really enjoying them
    I completely agree! I really hated workout 7, and was dreading anything that could possibly be more challenging. Thank heavens, so far, it doesn't feel like a torture session.
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    I still feel pressure in my wrists, i haven't had chance to get any sort of wrist support yet and i can't risk any injury so i am modifying as follows:

ab hold push up - i am doing a dolphin pose with reps (taken from yoga meltdown)
    side plank crunch - on forearm rather than palm (this actually still gives a good 'crunch')
    That's a good idea for a modification to those tricky ab hold push ups. I was surprised how difficult those were! I'll do my best to get at least a couple in, and modify the rest. For now, anyway...
  • sassynkp
    sassynkp Posts: 148 Member
    Ok. 1st day of workout 9 and oh my gees! It kicked my tail!
  • Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 390 Member
    1st attempt of phase 3-workout 9 wasn't as bad as workout 7 but I just couldn't get those dive bombers ...... Side burpees weird angle for me ..... Rock and roll yea my balance was off!!!! My 2nd time hopefully will be better !!!!
  • Second week doing this and I still feel too much strain in my wrists when I do the side plank crunch. Maybe because it's the last exercise? I still feel it in by obliques, though, so I think it's fine to modify and do them on your elbows. This workout is hard on the wrists and I wish she had varied some of these exercises with different weeks.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    First attempt at Workout9. I like this one so much better than WO7. Side Planks I am really out of balance on the 2nd side--can hardly hold up. maybe will try on my forearm just on that side until my back issues are resolved and I have even strength. Love the side burpees...really didn't do very well on the rock and rolls--can't get up to my feet every time. Had to push off the floor with my left arm. Sigh.

Am looking forward to improving on this one...
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    First attempt this morning. WOWZERS I agree I like this one better then workout 7 but I find that she doesn't modify enough for a person my size it's disappointing. Hopefully the next round of the BR I am much smaller and can kick this out of the park
  • RedRita32
    RedRita32 Posts: 321 Member
    Wow everything sounds hard!