Tricks and Tips

Options
a_new_dawn
a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
The tips below will help you become stronger physically, which will help you push through plateaus, and keep you on the smooth road to success!

*SCHEDULE YOUR WORKOUTS - Just like any other appointment. Make health & fitness a priority in your life.

*INCORPORATE EXTRA WORKOUT ACTIVITY - Take the stairs instead of the lift, park the car further away from your destination, walk the dog!

*NEVER SKIP A WARM UP OR COOL-DOWN - The warm-up prepares your body for the workout and prevents injury. Cool-down gradually decreases heart rate and alleviates muscle soreness and stiffness through flexibility.

*GET ENOUGH SLEEP - Try to get at least 8 hours of sleep each night - it's not a luxury, it's necessary for good health & balanced hormones.

*INVEST IN GOOD WORKOUT SHOES - Supportive, well fitting shoes are a must. They will improve your performance and reduce the risk of injury

*DIG DEEPER - Try to push yourself that little bit further with each workout. Can you make your movements bigger? jump a little higher? can you increase the resistance? stretch a bit deeper? IT SHOULDN'T BE EASY!! - You should aim to be sweating! if you're not, you're either not doing it correctly or you need to increase your resistance or intensity and speed of motion. The more you put into the workouts, the more you will get out of them!!

3...2...1...GO!!!!

Replies

• a_new_dawn
    Options
    Some of my own personal tips -

1. Invest in a good quality, well fitting, supportive, "impact" sports bra. The girls take some punishment...especially during cardio sessions!! I'm not blessed in that department at all, but they still need some TLC!

2. Listen to your body. FOOD- Sometimes your body will need extra fuel, especially on high impact days. Don't go hungry - it will hinder your progress and make you ILL! A sure sign of needing more food is dizzy spells. REST - If your body needs rest..then do it!. If you don't take the time to recover properly you will risk major burnout or injury. I have experienced a burnout when i did my 30 day shred in 30 days straight and it was an awful experience. I had trouble sleeping and i would jerk awake almost with mini panic attacks. I ALWAYS take at least 1 day of rest per week now - regardless of whether i want to or not.

3. Drink plenty of water - replace fluid lost through sweating and prevent dehydration. Water is vital for weight loss - aim for at least 8 glasses per day.

4. Concerned about your form? Work out in front of a mirror! I did this for the first time today. Not only was i able to check my form wasn't slacking i was amazed to see how low i could get during my squats...and i noticed that my biceps are starting to look pretty damn impressive! (Just need to work on those triceps!). It's not all about what the scale says!
  • JABGoochie
    JABGoochie Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    good tips - thank you
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Feel free to add any tips of your own!!

The can be about the workouts themselves...

or nutrition..
  • Snoozypaws3000
    Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you have plenty of space to not just work out but to take into account any off balance wobbles you may have.

{Last fitness DVD I tried I toe punted my poor dog across the room after doing a bit of an unplanned sideways stagger} :blushing:

He's forgiven me but now slopes off to lay beside the Aga as soon as the coffee table in the living room gets moved!

Sky x
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Make sure that you have plenty of space to not just work out but to take into account any off balance wobbles you may have.

{Last fitness DVD I tried I toe punted my poor dog across the room after doing a bit of an unplanned sideways stagger} :blushing:

He's forgiven me but now slopes off to lay beside the Aga as soon as the coffee table in the living room gets moved!

Sky x

Aww poor doggy! But a very good tip!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    TODAYS TIP - If using the resistance cable for modified hip thrusts (workout 2) - make sure your cable is securely placed midway down your sole! In my rush today i managed to narrowly miss being whipped in the face by my cable as it was positioned too far towards the top of my shoes and flicked off!! :blushing: :laugh:
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    One very important tip..

DON'T FORGET TO BREATHE!!!!

When doing your workouts, it's all too easy to hold your breath! :sick:

Another useful tip - when stretching out your calf muscles in cool down (touching either foot) I find it easier if you lead with your chest and not with your head.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I don't really feel experienced enough to offer tips. The one thing that I wanted to say is Do Not Give Up. In the past, I would start a workout, try for a few minutes, decide I wasn 't in good enough shape to do it, and give up. One thing that I have learned from Jillian is that I can be strong. I have done the Shred several times, but because there was frequently a big gap of no exercise it was always like the firs time. Every time I start a new workout I feel like I'm not going to make it, I need to take breaks, I'm sore and even feel sick. Today, on my 3rd time throught Phase 1, Workout 1, not only did I get through without taking a break, but I was able to wash my hair right after which I couldn't do a week ago because of arm fatigue. If I had time, I would have jumped on the treadmill for an extra cardio, again something that I wouldn't have even considered a week ago. Jillian says it at the end of workout 1 on the Shred DVD, that if you are on days 5,6,or 7 you should be noticing a huge difference in your endurance! Your body will get stronger faster than you imagine if you just keep going!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Thanks for your comment Kate, I loved hearing about the improvements in your endurance, it's brilliant. We often don't realise how strong we are, and we underestimate what we are truly capable of. As long as you go into each workout with the mindset to try your very best, and to try to push yourself that little bit further each day then you will progress. Never be afraid to TRY...to go harder, longer or faster...You have nothing to lose (apart from pounds).
  • claireplum
    claireplum Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Lovely thread Dawn...great advice so far!

My tip: for the cardio...go crazy! They take it far too slow (in my opinion) and if you can up it and your heart rate you will feel much better for it! That goes for the pure cardio workouts and too the intervals.

Also, I never drop the weights...always have a tiny dumb bell in each hand at least. This means more cals being burnt thoughout the workout.
  • a_new_dawn
    Options

My tip: for the cardio...go crazy! They take it far too slow (in my opinion) and if you can up it and your heart rate you will feel much better for it! That goes for the pure cardio workouts and too the intervals.

Also, I never drop the weights...always have a tiny dumb bell in each hand at least. This means more cals being burnt thoughout the workout.

Definitely Claire! The more effort you put into the workouts.. the better and faster the results!!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Another useful tip that i forgot to mention is:

*Always weigh in or measure at the same time of day - first thing in the morning is best, immediately after your "visit" to the bathroom :blushing:

Weight fluctuates throughout the day so if you weigh at the same time every time you will get a more accurate gauge of progress.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    my tips:

1. unless you are morbidly obese, DO NOT follow the meal plan to a T, you will starve yourself. lol

2. do yoga on rest or cardio days, it'll save your life.

3. recover with a high protein with complex carbohydrate meal or recovery shake after workouts, your recovery window is KEY.

4. try the harder moves, you will be surprised at what your body can actually do!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Great tips myfitnessval! Thanks for contributing!
  • Kimberly92122
    Options
    Great tips! I would add -- get your family involved as motivation for you and them. My daughter joined in last night -- doing her own stuff for sure but she was there for most of the 30 minutes watching the video and seeing me work hard. Helps her learn about and enjoy exercise too. She's only 4 so its about having fun more than anything. For me, I was more motivated to have good form and not give up cause she was watching.
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My kids have joined in, too, and it's so much fun. Not only am I setting a good example, but they're getting a good little workout in, too.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My tip is when I finish the workout I load the DVD for the next day and put chilled water in the fridge. And I keep my workout clothes in the laundry room down by the TV. This way when I am stumbling around sleepy at 5am I don't have to think too hard to start the workout and I haven't yet missed one of the planned 6 days in the first month--only 3 more days to go for Phase I.
  • gwenhafra
    gwenhafra Posts: 1
    Options
    Great tips! I keep my workout clothes set out the night before too--those 5 a.m. pre-coffee mornings are tough!