"Measuring" your progress

Options
a_new_dawn
a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
Contrary to many people's beliefs, "weight loss" and "getting in shape" is not just about what the scale says. Of course, it's one way of gauging progress, but unless you have an all-singing, all-dancing top of the range model, the scale won't take factors like body fat% & water retention, (from sore muscles, hormones/TOM, soduim), etc into account. This is why you need to try to not rely on the scales too much and become friends with the tape measure, the mirror and a camera!

The number on the scale may appear to stay the same but it's quite possible the tape measures shows a loss!

Some things just cannot be "measured" as such...and is all about the visuals. It's a good idea to take "Before", "During", and "After" photos. During your weekly weigh in & monthly measure up take the time to look at yourself in the mirror...with time and hard work you will see your shape change, for example - abs may decide to poke through, your legs may appear more slender and your arms look more toned even though weight & measurements haven't changed. Strange...but very true!

How do your clothes fit? You may find that they begin to feel looser as fat is replaced by muscle. Pound for pound - muscle takes up less space!

Body mass index is a brilliant gauge of progress too, especially if you are looking to get "lean"

If you do use the scale as your main was of monitoring your progress then always remember that weight fluctuation is normal. That extra pound on the scale could just be "water weight" from a change in diet (eg - spike in sodium intake), or retention from sore muscles etc. Drink plenty of water (yes, you got that right - drink more water!) and you will most likely find that pound is gone again in a few days.

One point worth remembering is:

It takes 3500 EXTRA calories to gain a pound in weight. If you haven't eaten an extra 3500 calories then it's unlikely be true weight gain.

Replies

• mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Contrary to many people's beliefs, "weight loss" and "getting in shape" is not just about what the scale says. Of course, it's one way of gauging progress, but unless you have an all-singing, all-dancing top of the range model, the scale won't take factors like body fat% & water retention, (from sore muscles, hormones/TOM, soduim), etc into account. This is why you need to try to not rely on the scales too much and become friends with the tape measure, the mirror and a camera!

The number on the scale may appear to stay the same but it's quite possible the tape measures shows a loss!

Some things just cannot be "measured" as such. It's a good idea to take "Before", "During", and "After" photos for a visual, and often very surprising gauge of progress. During your weekly weigh & measure in take the time to look at yourself in the mirror...with time and hard work you will see your shape change, for example - abs may decide to poke through, your legs may appear more slender and your arms look more toned even though weight & measurements haven't changed. Strange...but very true!

How do your clothes fit? You may find that they begin to feel looser as fat is replaced by muscle. Pound for pound - muscle takes up less space!

Body mass index is a brilliant gauge of progress too, especially if you are looking to get "lean"

If you do use the scale as your main was of monitoring your progress then always remember that weight fluctuation is normal. That extra pound on the scale could just be "water weight" from a change in diet (eg - spike in sodium intake), or retention from sore muscles etc. Drink plenty of water (yes, you got that right - drink more water!) and you will most likely find that pound is gone again in a few days.

It takes 3500 EXTRA calories to gain a pound in weight. If you haven't eaten an extra 3500 calories then it's unlikely be true weight gain.

I actually found, when I did Ripped in 30, that doing weekly measurements was frustrating for me. I weigh in weekly but my plan is for measurements at the completion of each phase, rather than weekly. The reason I became frustrated that time was because, though I saw changes one week, the next week, there was barely any change... Which made me feel like I wasn't getting anywhere, though I was. It's kinda like weighing in daily, you get fluctuations, but not really the true picture, at least for me that's how it works. So my measurements and photos will occur upon the completion of each phase. :smile:

And as far as the rest of it, you're right. And here's my blog post that says something similar: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mariposa224/view/you-did-not-gain-x-number-of-pounds-overnight-431514
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Jenni, I'm glad you commented on this, because I didn't intentionally mean to write "weekly measure in"

I also found that measurements would barely change on a weekly basis (which can be very disappointing), and I agree totally that monthly measuring would be better!

Thanks for pointing out my error - much appreciated.. I will edit!!
  • mariposa224
    Options
    Jenni, I'm glad you commented on this, because I didn't intentionally mean to write "weekly measure in"

I also found that measurements would barely change on a weekly basis (which can be very disappointing), and I agree totally that monthly measuring would be better!

Thanks for pointing out my error - much appreciated.. I will edit!!
    I wasn't trying to say you were WRONG! lol I was just saying that measuring that often doesn't work for ME, though it may for SOME. :wink: It's all good. You're awesome, Dawn!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options

I wasn't trying to say you were WRONG! lol I was just saying that measuring that often doesn't work for ME, though it may for SOME. :wink: It's all good. You're awesome, Dawn!

lol, i know you weren't saying i was wrong Jenni.. *I* was saying i was wrong!! :laugh:

But i guess if people DO want to measure in weekly, that's their choice. I just agree with you 100% that if it's done monthly there's more likely to be a significant change!

P.S Did you notice how i'd used this:

You must have got SICK and tired of saying this to me over and over again... but it's probably one of the most useful points i've learnt in all my time here on MFP. You're truly awesome too!!!
  • mariposa224
    Options

lol, i know you weren't saying i was wrong Jenni.. *I* was saying i was wrong!! :laugh:

But i guess if people DO want to measure in weekly, that's their choice. I just agree with you 100% that if it's done monthly there's more likely to be a significant change!

P.S Did you notice how i'd used this:

You must have got SICK and tired of saying this to me over and over again... but it's probably one of the most useful points i've learnt in all my time here on MFP. You're truly awesome too!!!

LOL, ok, as long as we're on the same page with that first business... :wink:

And I got tired of repeating myself to a LOT of people, but I didn't ever feel I had to say it to YOU, in particular, overmuch. I wrote the blog because someone else who used to be on my FL (she left for a while, then came back with a new profile and didn't add me as a friend when she came back) was ALWAYS going on about it. And I really *did* grow quite weary of telling her the same thing over and over. She even comments when I wrote it, I think she knew I wrote it because I was over telling her all the time. lol
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options

[/quote]

But what time period? Like 3500 calories in one week? Sadly, that is a real question:) I am good with numbers and I make them work for me.
  • a_new_dawn
    Options

But what time period? Like 3500 calories in one week? Sadly, that is a real question:) I am good with numbers and I make them work for me.

That's a really good question Stacey, one I cannot answer! All we can do is monitor those cals in compared to cals out!
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Very true. I was all excited to hop on the scale earlier in the week and found that I'd "gained" five of the six pounds I had already lost. Now, I know I didn't eat more than I should and I worked out hard, so it's not physically possible to have put on real weight, but it was still disappointing. On the other hand, after two weeks of Jillian, I can do more pushups, lift more weight, squat deeper, and not feel like I'm dying at the end of a workout and those things are a lot more important than what some silly machine tells me.

As of this morning, I was still up a pound but I have to have faith that as long as I keep doing what I'm doing, things will work themselves out.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Very true. I was all excited to hop on the scale earlier in the week and found that I'd "gained" five of the six pounds I had already lost. Now, I know I didn't eat more than I should and I worked out hard, so it's not physically possible to have put on real weight, but it was still disappointing. On the other hand, after two weeks of Jillian, I can do more pushups, lift more weight, squat deeper, and not feel like I'm dying at the end of a workout and those things are a lot more important than what some silly machine tells me.

As of this morning, I was still up a pound but I have to have faith that as long as I keep doing what I'm doing, things will work themselves out.

carolina- I couldn't see your food diary, but if you are not tracking sodium consider adding that into the mix. I like your outlook, just have faith in Jillian and I'm sure you'll get some sick results!
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Carolina - are you feeling sore at all? Your body retains water if your muscles are hurting too. Definitely agree about monitoring your sodium intake, it's one think i need to keep a very close eye on.
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    I've just remembered one other indication of progress that i forgot to include in the main post...

this isn't something that can be measured as such, and won't reflect in the mirror.

STRENGTH AND STAMINA.

can you go harder? Can you go stronger? Can you go longer?

as you progress through your workouts you will find that you become more capable of whatever is thrown at you. We often underestimate our own ability.

does that move seem slightly easier? That's progress.
    can you get more reps in/increase speed? That's progress.
    are you ready to use a higher resistance? That's progress.
    can you go a little lower in your squats and lunges? Yes, that's progress.

The possibilities are endless.
  • missingone
    missingone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Question for you all: When tracking your calorie intake and exercise in myfitnesspal, how do you calculate the calories burned with JMBR? Do you just count it as aerobics?
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Question for you all: When tracking your calorie intake and exercise in myfitnesspal, how do you calculate the calories burned with JMBR? Do you just count it as aerobics?

Personally, i use a heart rate monitor. I would recommend you use "circuit training, general" on the MFP database for your BR workouts.
  • missingone
    missingone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Personally, i use a heart rate monitor. I would recommend you use "circuit training, general" on the MFP database for your BR workouts.
    [/quote]

Thank you! That helps a lot.
  • nieradzik
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm new to the group as well as MFP...but I do have a question. I am on week 3, almost week 4 of BR. Do any of you do additional cardio with the program? Like running, jogging, etc? Because I can honestly say I'm not really seeing the results I had hoped for. I'm going to stick with it the full 90 days...but the scale has not moved, my clothes fit the same...and I am eating about 1500 cals a day. I tried to stay around 1200-1300, but was feeling too hungry, and for my height/weight I was thinking I probably needed to up the cals. Any thoughts? I've read a lot of the posts in this board, and it all makes perfect sense...but it's hard not to get a little frustrated, and I am wondering if I should be doing more cardio in addition to the program.

Thanks in advance!
    Tracy
  • DKrisAn
    DKrisAn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do additional cardio on top of BR. I run/walk for at least 3 miles during the morning and then BR in the evening. My body does not burn calories very quickly so I feel like I need to do additional work to meet my calorie burn each day.
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm new to the group as well as MFP...but I do have a question. I am on week 3, almost week 4 of BR. Do any of you do additional cardio with the program? Like running, jogging, etc? Because I can honestly say I'm not really seeing the results I had hoped for. I'm going to stick with it the full 90 days...but the scale has not moved, my clothes fit the same...and I am eating about 1500 cals a day. I tried to stay around 1200-1300, but was feeling too hungry, and for my height/weight I was thinking I probably needed to up the cals. Any thoughts? I've read a lot of the posts in this board, and it all makes perfect sense...but it's hard not to get a little frustrated, and I am wondering if I should be doing more cardio in addition to the program.

Thanks in advance!
    Tracy

I don't do any additional cardio on top of the regular workouts, this is purely because i am not looking for any more weight loss. I was only able to workout 3-4 times per week in maintenance due to the amount of calories i can consume.. I am doing BR 6 times per week and it hasn't brought any unwanted weight loss as of yet. If i did additional cardio i would need to eat more, and i just physically can't, my cals are usually around 1400-1600.

if you think you can do more, then go for it! There's always an up button! Just make sure you're fuelling that body for all those big burns!! I will say one other thing though, the intensity of workouts 3 and 4 are fairly low in comparison to later workouts, so you might not be able to see much visible change yet.. But your strength and stamina is improving to carry you through the later workouts. Jillian 's got plenty to give you yet!
  • nieradzik
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the responses! I like knowing that the ones I'm doing now aren't really that difficult comparatively speaking to later workouts...I think that may be enough just to keep me doing what she has me doing, even though I haven't seen a lot of results yet. I appreciate the feedback and will keep on with BR!

Tracy
  • Niqkeema
    Options
    the scale thing is so true cause my scale was saying that i weighted the same but body measurements showed a decrease which felt so motivating:)
  • a_new_dawn
    Options
    the scale thing is so true cause my scale was saying that i weighted the same but body measurements showed a decrease which felt so motivating:)

It's all about the inches!!!!!!!