Healthy Lunches

Options
hope25
hope25 Posts: 188 Member
I am a school teacher and am not able to go out an buy lunch. I have trouble packing healthy easy lunches any good suggestions?

Replies

• carissamelk
    Options
    I always wanted to get myself to eat a salad for lunch, but never was motivated to make it the night before. I found that if I made all of the salads for the week on Sunday afternoon, I found it a lot easier to take each day. I know teaching doesn't always allow you enough time to eat a full salad though, so how about hummus wraps? hummus and crackers? fruit with yogurt?
  • cmdoiy
    cmdoiy Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm also a school teacher and have only 30 minutes for lunch. I usually have frozen entrees, but I know those are full of sodium. I like the salad idea. I've found that in the past, if I get into the habit of having salad, my body starts to want it.

However, I must admit I also get tired of eating the same thing over and over again, so I do need some variety. I'm glad you posted this topic!
  • Lauri66
    Options
    I find myself getting more and more discouraged because I am bored with my lunches. I too take salads everyday. I am supposed to be eaten gluten and dairy free as well and it has also been a challenge for me. I have lost 23 lbs so far and do not want to find it but I am about to embark on finding it because I am bored.

I need all the support I can get through this. Another too is I don't exercise and I know I need to for all of this to work properly. I start and do it for a couple weeks then I quit. How can I keep myself motivated to keep exercising?

:smile:
  • neen6270
    neen6270 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am also a teacher. I make my lunch the night before. Also, if I don't take a salad, I take a variety of small items. Here is a sample lunch: 5-10 raw baby carrots, apple, grapes or orange, 2 oz boars head turkey lunch meat (no bread), and a yogurt.
    Sometimes I might also include the Kelloggs Sea Salt cracker chips as you can have 30 of them for 110 calories.

I also like chicken and jalepeno pretzel bread lean hot pockets for 270 calories. They microwave for 2 minutes.

Make healthy soups and pack leftovers for lunch for variety too.
  • Rhunt24
    Rhunt24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I found making stuff for the week works well too. Or, if you have a fridge at work, take in a week's worth of food so it's all ready there. I teach and our math dept all pitched in 20 bucks and we were able to get our own full size fridge with lots of space.

I also like to wash/cut up fruits and veggies as soon as I get home from the grocery store so that it's all ready to go and requires less prep work in the morning.
  • KJ4health
    KJ4health Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like to have tuna fish made with red fat miracle whip and relish and eat on carrot chips. Hummus and red. fat wheat thins are good. I sometimes grill chicken breast ahead of time and make differenct things out of it....chicken salad with diced up apple and mixed with fat free plain yogurt and eat on a pita. chicken breast with honey mustard and spinach in a wrap. This time of year I like to make chili or chicken vegetable soup.
  • leesey03
    leesey03 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You might try lean cuisine frozen salad entrees! They are great you microwave the entree (salad toppings) and pour them over lettuce. They are great and run less than $3 per meal.
  • 1peanutandapumpkin
    Options
    If you have time on the weekends you can make a batch of soup and/or chili to alternate through the week. I like salad too, but I'm a snacker so I do better with finger stuff. How about veggies with dip? Add some lean deli meat, sliced fruit and you cover all the food groups.
  • marie2779
    marie2779 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am also a teacher... I try to vary what I bring as I find I get bored too if I bring the same thing every day. Usually a couple days a week I bring a sandwich- I use the Flat Out bread (90 calories), turkey, lettuce, tomato then bring an apple and some almonds. 1-2 times a week I bring either some homemade soup or a can of progress lite soup. The remaining days it's either tuna or a salad or sometimes dinner leftovers. Once in a while a lean cuisine frozen meal. I always work through my lunch so it's hard to find the time to slow down and eat.. but I find if I don't I'll end up eating a birthday cupcake that one of the kids bring me or something like that that I shouldn't be eating! (I teach kindergarten :)
  • no1belongs
    Options
    my lunches are pretty simple

whole wheat bun
    veggie burger (amys california)
    1 T dijon mustard
    slice of tomato
    reduced fat swiss cheese

salad
    salad greens (1 cup)
    grape tomatos (1/2 cup)
    cucumber (1/2 cup)
    2 Tablespoons of lite italian dressing

aprox 407 calories extremely filling
  • whittlelauraann
    Options
    Do you have a microwave? If so your lunches don't have to be boring at all. Some of my lunches are things like the following:

Chicken breast
    Acorn Squash
    Romaine Lettuce and Kraft Calorie wise Asiago Caesar dressing

Tuna and Light Miracle Whip wrapped in Romaine lettuce

Turkey Breast, lettuce and mustard on weight watchers bread

Chicken Breast, salsa and romaine lettuce

or really any left overs from the dinner before.... I haven't been in the office much since mid December but by mid week here I will be back at work and back on track I hope!
  • leesey03
    leesey03 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I go back to work Monday so I plan to use some of these ideas.
  • tjwilliam1
    tjwilliam1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great ideas. Thank you as we'll for the post. I've been doing left overs or frozen dinners.