More fat!

Options
bashiera
bashiera Posts: 140 Member
So, I've been doing well eating paleo about 80-90% of the time (Christmas cookies from Grandma...I can't resist.) but I need more fat! Right now the majority of my fat is from quality bacon, butter, chicken skins, and olive oil, but it seems I'm just sick of slathering olive oil onto every.single.meal to reach my 123 grams goal for fat. What other sources of relatively cheap fat do you have to offer? Right now, organic coconut oil isn't really an option in large amounts, but I can try and price a decent jar next trip. I was considering coconut milk in smoothies as well but as unsure of how it would affect the taste,

Replies

• CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I throw an ounce each of walnuts and almonds into my salad every day.
  • Emily3456
    Emily3456 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Nuts and avocado!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    nuts and avocado!!!
  • rusty1257
    rusty1257 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Homemade mayo. theclothesmakethegirl website for recipe
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    homemade mayo
    sardines in olive oil
    eggs (hope you eat the yolks!)
    coconut milk
    coconut flour (if making stuff like muffins etc)
    marrow
    avocado
    nuts
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    bacon grease
    coconut oil
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions above. Also, if you are getting free range meats, eat the fatty cuts. Cheaper and healthier. Yum fat....

I too often have to add vegetable/fruit fats, but i do my best to get as much as I can from the animals.

(LOVE seeing a post like this!!!)
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Oh, doy! Nuts, obviously. I can grab raw almonds on the cheap at DG, same with avocados at the local Aldi's for a dollar each usually. I'll check the meat department when I go the grocer's and see if they have any fatty cuts on sale. We own hens so right now I can get usually 1 or 2 eggs a day from them so I eat those for breakfast, though I sorely wish they'd lay more. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • amandavanvels
    amandavanvels Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yeah, definitely eat fattier meats! When I get pork, I don't cut any of the fat off, just throw it all right into the crock pot and eat it all. Also, I eat just plain ground beef (85% lean, 15% fat) and that seems to help me up my fat.

You can get jars of coconut oil for around $8, which doesn't seem so pricey! I'm just finishing up my first jar and I bought it about a month ago, so it should last you a while!

Good luck!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Nuts
    Avacado

Coconut Oil isn't all that expensive - if you have a Trader Joe's near you they have their brand for $6 a jar. I use Dr. Brommers (sp?) in a pinch and can usually find that for under $10 a jar. A jar lasts me about 6 weeks or so. I don't use it everyday. Spending money on Coconut Oil or GOOD olive oil is a must