Is My Pouch Fitting Too Much?

Options
I am about a month out from my Gastric Bypass surgery, so I have begun re-introducing softer foods as directed. However, I feel like being only a month out I am able to fit too much into my pouch. I just had about 2 ounces of ham and a bite of my protein bar, and I am hardly feeling full at all. I am wondering what other post-op patients' tolerance is/was about a month out, as I feel like maybe I able to fit too much into my pouch. Also, if someone could tell me what it feels like to be hungry? I have yet to feel anything that resembles what it felt like before so I have been eating a little something every few hours to make sure I am getting nutrients in, but how do I know when I am hungry? Sounds funny I know, but I would appreciate some sincere answers. Thank you

Replies

• smokeywolf57
    Options
    you will find that some foods fill you up and some don't. I did like a whole cup of cr. of mushroom soup and I thought I had hurt my pouch but I didn't. then I might have like 1/2 chicken breast and be stuffed.

everyone is different just like the foods and such. just take 1 day at a time and keep track of what fills you up more then other things.

good luck
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    At a month out you won't feel hungry. You are doing right by eating every few hours. My plan had me eating 4-5 times a day. It's also important to measure out your food into portions, because even at a month you are still healing and you are getting to used to your new stomach and you are learning. Some foods will fill you up more then others. Just stick with what your doctors and plan tell you and you will do great!
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys, I suppose I have notice that as well, that it depends on what I eat. As you said right now is a trial and error time but I wanted to make sure nothing has happened to my pouch I know it is possible to stretch it.
  • Barbara2420
    Barbara2420 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters in saying that everyone is so different in their reactions to foods.

Also wanted to mention the word "full." When I heard the word "full" I thought of my pre surgery sense of "full' which occurred after consuming large amounts of food in a short time and the result was perhaps better stated as "stuffed." That's what I was expecting post-op. It wasn't until several months out when I expressed concerned over my lack of fullness that one of the nutritionists told me to replace the word full with "satisfied." (Am not sure I felt/ understood/ appreciated just the feeling of satiety.) Knowing this is a somewhat subtle feeling to me, I have relied on measuring and weighing. That way I know I am getting proper amounts.

Hope this helps.
  • Maylene1217
    Maylene1217 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to start feeling hunger pains again. So just eat every few hours nutritionally sound foods you should be good. With my surgery unfortunately my "full" feeling is an actual uncomfortable occasionally painful feeling. I had to learn to stop eating before I got the stomach pains.
  • kasmusic3PA
    kasmusic3PA Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Kathy

I had my surgery September 11, 2012 and I have yet to feel hunger. I can only eat about a cup of food.
    I would say that you should follow the advice of your doctors. There are certain foods that I can eat and then there
    are others I can do without any problem. This is a trail and error type of thing with food choices. As I'm finding
    out. One day I can eat a certain food and the next day I can't. Try not to get discouraged as we have all gone
    Through this. I look at it as we are retraining ourselves how to eat healthier food choices and even though we have
    The tool to rely on it is our choices that will lead to our success. If you have any other questions you can add me to
    Your friend list. I'm here to lend support