Week 7......just starting

Options
PaytraB
PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
I completed W7D1 today. It went harder than I thought it would be but I made it through.

Anyone else doing W7 this week?

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 7 on Tuesday. Last week on day 2 I started running until I hit 5k and I made it through it. Although it took a lot of mental willpower.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I just finished W9D3 this past weekend. What I found for weeks 7-9, the full on run the whole thing, staying out of my own head was the challange. Ugh, I'm tired; ugh, I'm cold; ugh I have a stitch in my side; ugh I just wanna take a rest; etc. lol

A few times, always somewehere in the last quarted of the run, I had to walk for a minute or two to avoid hyperventilating. Then I would just run a little bit into the cool down to make sure I had run the alotted amount of time.

I find having a mix on my ipod of songs with a great beat and that I love and know all the words to helps keep me out of my head. I may look silly running down the sidewalks of Main Street singing along but it gets me through the tough spots. I also talk to myself for some encouragement - You've got this. The three mile mark is just past home, you can go that far. Just make it to the lot around the corner from home and you can walk.

You've both got this! Good luck!!
  • rednpnk
    rednpnk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I start week 7 tomorrow. I've gotten off track by a few days, but I'm still going. Yesterday I didn't think I could make the 22 mins on day 3 week 6, but I did. Not sure what the next run is, as I was to scared to look ahead.
  • msfaithful
    msfaithful Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    staying out of my own head was the challange. Ugh, I'm tired; ugh, I'm cold; ugh I have a stitch in my side; ugh I just wanna take a rest; etc. lol

A few times, always somewehere in the last quarted of the run, I had to walk for a minute or two to avoid hyperventilating. Then I would just run a little bit into the cool down to make sure I had run the alotted amount of time.

THIS!!!

and
    I find having a mix on my ipod of songs with a great beat and that I love and know all the words to helps keep me out of my head.

THIS

...is me every run!! LOL! It works!! :flowerforyou:
  • csqurred
    csqurred Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just completed W7D1 today! It's definitely all about talking yourself through it and not giving up. I wanted to give up a few times but just kept telling myself to keep going. Got to get mentally ready for the rest of the program!
    My pace is definitely slower than what the program thinks it should be, I've been running about a 12 min mile instead of 10 so once I get through the program I'm going to work on my speed.
  • loril13
    Options
    My pace is definitely slower than what the program thinks it should be, I've been running about a 12 min mile instead of 10 so once I get through the program I'm going to work on my speed.

I finished the program doing 11 min miles comfortably. I could possibly dig real deep and get 10 minutes out, but I don't think I could sustain that speed for any length of time. I graduated to the 5k to 10k program. It works on speed and endurance to build lung capacity. I have W1D3 on Saturday. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck!!
  • PaytraB
    Options

This is me. I'm much slower than the program thinks I should be. After completing the program, I'm going to continue by adding more time to get me to 5K. C25K may not be a 9-week program for me but a 12-week one. No matter, the point is to get there.
    As well, I'm now slowly ramping up my speed to try to get quicker (if I tire during the run, I slow back down to my normal speed).

Either today or tomorrow is W7D3. This week has certainly been one of determination and will power. I can do this but my legs want to stop before the time is up. During the 25 minute run, I need to push myself through a mental barrier two times (happened both days...two times each run!). Is this "the wall" I've read about?
  • hlsc
    hlsc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I did week 6 over the holidays, but was abroad and missed a few days between the end of W6 and the beginning of W7. So I did days 1&2 of week 6 again this week and will start week 7 on Monday. The program I'm doing had a 25 min run for W6D3, so I've done that already and hopefully I can just start up with the long runs again next week. I can't believe I've come so far :) Hooray to everyone who's doing this!!
  • loril13
    Options
    Either today or tomorrow is W7D3. This week has certainly been one of determination and will power. I can do this but my legs want to stop before the time is up. During the 25 minute run, I need to push myself through a mental barrier two times (happened both days...two times each run!). Is this "the wall" I've read about?

My wall is a specific corner on my usual route. I think it is about 2.75 miles into my run. Being from Boston, I call it my personal Heartbreak Hill. I fast forward to a really good song on my iPod when I know it is coming up. Once I am past this corner, I am fine for the rest of the run. With the 5 minute warm up & cool down, I get just about a 5k in, usually about 3.4 miles.
  • csqurred
    csqurred Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I just finished W7D2 today and I felt like it went better mentally and physically then the first day of this week and I honestly think the weather had a huge impact on it! It was warmer today and the sun was out vs. cold and bundled up running.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Just got in from my W7D3 run. It was cold out but I ran 5k at a 5:45 min/km pace. I skipped day 2 to let my leg rest. Still felt a little pain today but it's much better. Got an ice pack on my leg now.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    wow! i feel so much better that many people are having a hard time with week 7. I was on week 7 day one and I could not do it. I guess the negative thoughts won. Last night I was on the treadmill and ran 5 minutes and stupidly decided that it'd be easier to do outside. Today I ran for 15 minutes minutes, kept slowing down and finally gave up. I walked for the rest of the program and then made myself walk an extra mile. I am going to keep doing week 7 day 1 every other day until I complete it them move on.

Or maybe I need 2 days rest instead of one between runs.

Yes, after I complete it I will rest for 2 days.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Hang in there, Cinflow58. Concentrate on everything and anything besides your body. Listen to music (really listen....every note, every word, etc....the key is to concentrate). If outside, focus on a tree in the distance and watch it get closer, then focus on something further away. In on a treadmill, focus on a picture or something and really study it. Anything to get your mind away from your body.

I finished Day 3 yesterday. Observation: it seemed as hard as any of the other days, complete with the parts that I had to push myself through, but the time seemed to go by quicker. So....maybe....I'm improving?

Onwards to Week 8.

I'll be back to this thread to encourage everyone along. We are all doing great!
  • hlsc
    Options
    Just did W7D1 this morning! I kept my pace pretty slow and steady (12.5 min/mile), but was still huffing very heavily when I was finally able to walk again. I've heard that you're supposed to be able to have a conversation while jogging if you are going at the appropriate pace. There is no way I could talk during my runs - I can barely squeak good morning to someone else that I run past! Any thoughts on this?
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I've heard that, too, hlsc, and recently had the chance to test it out and found that I can carry on a conversation while jogging. While running, I'm breathing fairly easy (faster than normal but not panting or struggling). Going from that info, I guess my pace is good. I'm now slowly increasing my pace through part of my jog to get used to that.
    Maybe try slowing down just a little bit and see if it feels better for you while running? My pace is slow....probably about 14-15 min/mile. At this point, I'm not worried about my speed but about my stamina.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am regressing! today I jogged 13 minutes and walked the rest. I need better tunes. I am listening to pandora and the mix sucks. I have so many excuse it's cold, my legs hurt, then i'm hot, this is so boring, I'm going to have a heart attack, i am going to fall and hurt myself, now i know why i never ran. Maybe I'll just be a race walker.

I need Jillian yelling at me. " Come on! Run you know you can do it! Either run or get out!"
  • hlsc
    Options
    Thanks for the tip Plex. I'm not worried about speed right now either, so I'll slow it down and see how that goes.
  • loril13
    Options
    I am regressing! today I jogged 13 minutes and walked the rest. I need better tunes. I am listening to pandora and the mix sucks. I have so many excuse it's cold, my legs hurt, then i'm hot, this is so boring, I'm going to have a heart attack, i am going to fall and hurt myself, now i know why i never ran. Maybe I'll just be a race walker.

I need Jillian yelling at me. " Come on! Run you know you can do it! Either run or get out!"

It is all about the music for me. I made a mix on my ipod. Requirements are awsome beat and I know all the words. Focusing on the song helps get me through tough spots. I'll admit to singing bad 80's songs as I run down Main St.
  • hlsc
    Options
    W7D2 down last night. Had to go to the gym and run the track because it's been very wet and stormy here. It felt like an eternity running around and around. I much prefer running outdoors - more distractions. I found myself wanting to stop about every five minutes, but I kept on until the end :)
  • PaytraB
    Options
    That's great news, hlsc! You did it!
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to spring when I can get out and run, too. I'm using a treadmill and am staring at the same scene all the time. It's boring. I'm currently listening to an audio book while running and that's helping by giving me something to concentrate on. It's like a one-way conversation. :D
    On the other hand, I kind of wish my gym had a track. That sounds like an interesting option for running in winter.