Logging Meals on Night Shifts

Options
duichaser
duichaser Posts: 172 Member
Hey all, how do you go about logging your food for the day when you work over two different days? I am interested to hear how other people handle it. Our shift is 2100-0700.

Replies

• ltgarrow
    ltgarrow Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    There is a way to configure the settings so that your meals are not designated B/L/D. You can call them whatever you want. For example: 2015/0130/0800, etc. The way that you log won't change, just what you call it. Third shift sucks by the way, even though I'm posting this at 0041.
  • ZL9685
    ZL9685 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just call breakfast whatever meal I ate first, whether it was at night or not. If MFP tries to jump to the next day you can just click back to the previous one, which is how I do it. It is a tad tedious though, and my night shifts tend to be 1800-0600
  • cl0377
    cl0377 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do 2 days (0700 to 1900) and 2 nights (1900 to 0700). And I typically stop eating at midnight. When I get home after a night shift, I go to bed, then when I wake up (usually around 1500), I have "breakfast"( which is actually lunch food) , then I have supper when I get to work, and then around 2300 I have "supper" (usually breakfast food). All those meals are logged on the same day, and then the next day is the same. I am a 911 operator and fire/rescue dispatcher. I started 3 years ago and within the first 3 months I put on 40 pounds because I at to keep myself awake. It was awful. I find turn around days hard, usually end up skipping meals on my first day off, and on my 24 hour break between my last day and 1st night, but i find that on night shift, if I stop eating at midnight, it works well. Plus I usually do the treadmill at work on nights for about an hour around 0200 or 0300. That keeps me going for the rest of the night too.
  • Hawkeye_74
    Hawkeye_74 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I work a swing shift (1400 - 2300 hrs) which doesn't pose much of a problem. However I do have evening meals. My logging runs from 0700 hrs till 0700 hrs the next day regardless of what MFP says. Meaning, anything I log is logged on the day of when it starts. Anything I have to log after midnight goes on the previous day. The new log doesn't start until 0700 hrs the next day.
  • TheHungryMedic
    TheHungryMedic Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Here is how I look at and do it:

In the end it is two days and that sucks. So what I do is I choose a time that I consider one day over and the new one begins (For me its 2am) I don't use midnight because I am active late into the day, both at work and at home. This gives you a little overlap that seems more reasonable considering the hours that your operating. Look at it the same way as if you were awake 48 hours straight. Even though you are awake, its still a new day. But doing it this way makes your meals roster closer to the "day" you actually eat them.

Hope that helps.
  • mojd80
    mojd80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I work a swing shift (1400 - 2300 hrs) which doesn't pose much of a problem. However I do have evening meals. My logging runs from 0700 hrs till 0700 hrs the next day regardless of what MFP says. Meaning, anything I log is logged on the day of when it starts. Anything I have to log after midnight goes on the previous day. The new log doesn't start until 0700 hrs the next day.

I work 3-11 and do it very similar. I keep the midnight to midnight but anything I eat before bed goes to the previous day.