Friendship & Intro Thread

Options

Replies

• Misty92412
    Misty92412 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    it has been about 2 yrs ago i found out out i had Hashimoto's. 8/2013 had left sialoadenitis, submandibular gland excision.i have to go back to them soon having problems.dos anyone lose there voice?ever sens i have had it i lose my voice an i have really dry mouth at times.
  • kjs2305
    kjs2305 Posts: 1
    Options
    hi im new to the app i have had a underactive thyroid for 10 years and since this i have not been able to loose the piles of pounds i have gained i have tried ww ad sw and although lost nearly 2 stone it has been a long struggle over 2.5 yrs. I am hoping that my fitness pal with help me along the way
  • RandiDM
    RandiDM Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi! I also have Hashimoto's, diagnosed in 2011. I use MyFitnessPal daily to keep up with my macros and make sure I am eating enough of the things my body needs to be healthy.
    I have recently started blogging about my experiences, trials, and tribulations with Hashi's, and would love to invite any of you to read and respond with what has helped you, harmed you, etc.
    You can find my blog at: http://healthyhappyhashis.blogspot.com/
    There is also a corresponding Facebook page where I post articles, studies, healthy living tips, etc:
    https://www.facebook.com/HealthyHappyHashimotos

I hope you'll take a look at these, since we can all use all the support we can get!
  • Kelkath72
    Kelkath72 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi! Kelli from the US here. i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 10 years ago and have put on 100 pounds since then. it's real annoying when we sit down to eat and my husband eats twice as much as me and i am the one getting bigger and bigger. i was told by several people that once you gain the weight with an underactive thyroid that you could not lose it so i never tried. at the beginning of this year i looked at a photo of myself from Christmas and was saddened. i decided to at least really try and do something about my weight. it's real slow going and i'm kinda getting frustrated with myself. i do feel better now that i exercise and eat better but i still want the weight to come off!!!!! please add me if you wish :smile:
  • babywife86
    Options
    Hi My name is Abbie im from the uk, I suffer with Hypothyroidism, My husband and I were trying for a baby in august 2011 we started I still never fell by august 2012 so I went to drs who referred me to hospital only to be told I had to lose 5st before they even thought of helping me, I left the hospital devastated but it gave me the determination to get my *kitten* into gear! The next day I joined a gym went for 2hrs a night watched what I ate and in February 2013 I found out I was pregnant in that time I lost 2st 7lb, I gave birth in November 2013. I decided to start again last week properly exercising logging my food onto here, I have lost 9lb in my first week which I am surprised at and im now at my pre pregnancy weight only 5 more stone to go until I get to a weight im healthy at. I exercise for over 2hrs a day when lo is asleep and count calories, I also suffer with pcos as well. I am on 100mg thyroxine I was diagnosed in 2010 xx
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm so glad I found this group because I feel like I'm all alone with this hyperthyroid. Just me and my overactive thyroid :wink:

I was diagnosed about six years ago and have been on and off meds since then. It will go into remission then it will come back. I lost 25 pounds since 2012, discovered my hyperthyroidism returned and went on medication in November 2013. Needless to say I've lost NO weight since November even though I've eaten under my calories for 12 weeks straight. However, I have not gained weight either so I'm happy about that. I've decided to worry less about calories and started a pretty aggressive weight lifting regimen and that seems to work well with me. Even though I haven't lost weight I am losing inches and I'm getting some muscle definition!

My doctor really pushed the radioactive iodine treatment but I just felt that wasn't the right solution for me. She kept pushing and I finally told her I wouldn't talk about it again. I said if after a year things weren't under control I would revisit the subject. She has backed off and now thinks I will go into remission again.
  • arios952013
    arios952013 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Angie and I am from Phoenix, AZ, US and I have suffered from hypothyroid for years, but recently diagnosed and placed on medicine by the doctor. Now I am 50 years (at 20 years I was tired all the time and never knew why), and working hard and removing the fat yet once again with diet, cardio and strength training. Wish there was something to help reverse hypothyroidsim like iodine (my naturopath isn't ready to put me on that yet...) need to understand this diesease better... I have lost weight before being hpothyroidsim, so I suppose I can do it again - but I wan this time to be the last time! Needs to be a way of life for me - not getting any younger. Looking forward to some good info and sharing what I can.

Stuff about me personally, I am currently doing Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I am not much of a meat eater and love my fruits, vegetables, beans, legumes, seeds, berries Onions, Garlic and Mushrooms. It is so good for the heart, doing in part to help my DH with this cholesterol, high blood pressure - he already has calcium build up in his heart. The doc put him on the Mediterranean diet - but he now understands that it is the saturated fat he needs to stay away from. He even brought home Forks Over Knife. I understand this way of eating isn't for everyone, but for us it is a prescription for good health and longevity. Just putting it out there so you all have a bit of understanding that we aren't just cooks and it isn't that we don't love our meat - we just want to get healthy and stay there.

Also, I am a grandma for the first time to a baby girl, DH and I are basically empty nesters. I have a full-time desk job and I don't get out much. Used to love to travel and scuba dive. Currently we are building a pool in our backyard on our own with an exception of hiring some subcontractors. Would like to look good when it is complete in my bathingsuit.

Again, looking forward to some good tips from those who are hypothyroid - curious about what it is like to be hyperthroid - guess either extreme isn't good.

Cheers!
    Angie

53099968.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • MiqGallegos
    Options
    Getting back on the weight loss wagon (again!) I was always the big girl growing up and then lost 83 pounds between ages 29 and 30 and when I got to my lowest it seems the number just turned around and started creeping back up the scale over a course of 3 years, from 154lbs to 179lbs. Then my life went crazy and I didn't take my thyroid meds for 5 months. I gained 30lbs in 2 1/2 months!! Now I'm back on my thyroid meds and I am really trying to focus on getting the weight back down for myself, to feel good and to like my body again.

If anyone needs a cheerleader for their journey please feel free to add me! It's great to have someone that understands the frustration of hypothyroid and weight gain/loss.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I've been on MFP for two months now and I am new to this group. I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid in 2007 and within a couple of years got adjusted up to 112mcg of Levothyroxine. A couple of years after that, I removed most soy from my diet after reading about the link between soy and thyroid, and it cleared up some symptoms within a couple of months. Plus, I had hot flashes for two weeks. That was interesting.

I also have PCOS and mild adrenal issues. Basically my endocrine system is a hot mess. I'm sure everyone here can relate to the fact that weight loss takes more effort, but I'm finally here to put that effort in.

I'm active on this site, log almost every day, and love having motivation. Please add me if you like! :)
  • butterflyshadowkat
    Options
    Hi, My name is Kathleen, I have been searching for an answer for years for why i felt so sick and so tired. I basically spent years researching and self-diagnosed. After switching primary care doctors in the last year, I finally found a doctor that would run the necessary tests to give me the answers that i needed. As far as my background, i have a multi-nodular goiter, that was diagnosed in 2008, Im a Type 2 Diabetic, and was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's.
    Now im dealing with an Endocrinologist that has no clue how to treat me, because although my antibodies are horrid and off the scales, my thyroid levels are of course, you guessed it, NORMAL.
    I have worked for the last 6 months, and have lost from 240 lbs to 183, I drastically changed my diet, no sugar, no dairy, no gluten, no processed foods. I eat primarily fresh fruits and vegatables, with fish and some chicken. I have issues with major vitamin deficiencies, and cant seem to find anyone that will give me any information (Doctors).
    Any information i have received about this condition and how to control at least a portion of things, i have learned by reading and informing myself. I am now going into a major flare up with some big time hair loss, major fatigue and stomach issues, as well as the fact that my blood pressure while normally on the low side of normal, is going very low.
    Its very disheartening, that i get the diabetes under control, and now i have all these other issues that are soo much worse. I could sure use some suggestions, im running out of vacation time at work, and out of patience.

Thanks
  • pawstech09
    pawstech09 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm a 28 year old mother of 3, twin girls who are 3 years old and a boy who is 19 months old. My thyroid failed after I had my twins, but I didn't realize it for about 10 months during which I gained almost 80lbs. My OB tried to treat me for post partum depression when I described my symptoms, but I had a feeling that wasn't right. I started levothyroxine in December of 2011 and got pregnant with my son within a month. I was 303lbs when I gave birth to him in September 2012, and have never been more miserable in my life. I waited a few months after I had him to establish breastfeeding, and then in January 2013 at 274lbs I started MFP and haven't looked back! It has been a HUGE rollercoaster, and while my thyroid levels have stayed pretty normal this whole time I still deal with extreme fatigue. I started doing weekly B12 injections in October and I started feeling like a normal human being for the first time in years! I lost the first 50lbs with just diet alone, and then in February I started working out 6 days a week and have managed to lose another 20, although it has been an ever increasing slow process. I'm just glad there are others out there who deal with all of the same symptoms and hurdles that I do, because I find it difficult sometimes to read success stories where people can lose 100+ lbs within a year, wouldn't that be nice.
  • INSPRD2LOSE
    INSPRD2LOSE Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I've recently entered my thirties and have struggled with thyroid issues since...oh, I don't know...initial discovery of borderline hypo back in high school. I've had - and not had - insurance, which means meds for a while and minimal symptoms, then off meds and a barrage of every issue in the book. With each new doctor comes new challenges, as I always test in the normal range and it takes a great deal of history discussion to get a new physician on board with even a low level of meds. Without levothyroxin, I am completely useless. Exhausted, freezing, unable to concentrate, brittle and dry skin and nails - you name it, I'll have it. I've just recently learned that diet can have a positive effect on some of these symptoms, so I'm hoping to learn more. For quite some time, I completely gave up on getting fit and healthy, as it seemed impossible. No matter what I did, it had no impact. I've been on MFP before, but again gave up - on MFP and on myself. But now I'm back and hopeful for the future. For me, I think creating some relationships will be key. Specifically, with those who can identify with the challenges being hypo brings. Please, message or friend me if it strikes your fancy, and maybe we can help each other!
  • Stormykitty
    Stormykitty Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you for having this intro thread I am new to MFP. I have had a diagnosed thyroid condition since my early 30's and had been on ever increasing dosages of Levothyroxine. About 3 years years ago a new Dr. tested a secondary componate in addition to the standard TSH and discovered I was lacking there also ( sorry I think it t6 or something like that-crs hits me often) so he put me on Liothyronine 10mcg in addition to the Levothyroxine 200mcg. I never really blamed my weight gain on hypothyroidism but to overeating and inactivity due to spinal injuries and fibromyalgia. Now I see I need to do some research on this subject as a contributing factor. Thank you for this group.
  • mghollis
    mghollis Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Melinda. I was diagnosed with a multi-nodular goiter in 2002. The right side of my thyroid was not reading or reading cold when they did a nuclear study. Every six months I was getting a big long needle stuck in the side of my neck for tissue withdrawal. When I finally figured out what they were doing (checking for cancer), I asked them to remove my thyroid. That happened in September of 2003. Got my levels all straightened out, got pregnant with my second child, then moved in 2007.

Then I went crazy. :D I felt HORRIBLE. I told my husband I felt like my teeth were vibrating. Found a new primary care doctor. My TSH levels were at 77 on 150mcg of levothyroxine. He bumped me up to 175, and 6 weeks later my levels were "untraceable." So, he sent me to an endocrinologist who has been the best thing since sliced bread. She's great, really. We figured out that I can't tolerate the levothyroxine. So now, I'm on 150mcg of Synthroid. And yes, I know I need to go get my lab work done. *sigh*

I have been trying to ... not really lose weight, but be healthier overall since 2011. Losing weight is one way for me to be healthier. But I didn't realize that my thyroid (or lack thereof) was playing into my weight loss until just recently. So, I'm here. I'm going to read and learn and grow. I'm glad to meet all of you.
  • DJonssy
    DJonssy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello friends!
    I joined the main forum and my intro post included my issue with my thyroid. So I thought I would post here!

I went through a 3 month period of weight loss, of about 30 lbs. No exercise. Eating whatever I wanted, and the weight seemed to keep falling off. It got to a point where I was going to go into the doctor because I figured I had to be sick, it seemed so drastic, and then it was like a switch, and WHAM in a month and a half I was up 30 pounds. Once the twenty was on I started exercising daily, and became meticulous about what I was eating, but I continued gaining. My hairdresser made a comment to me that I should get my thyroid checked because my hair had quickly thinned out a lot, (which I had already noticed, among other things) and as she combed it, her hands were grossly tangled in hair that was falling out. As hyper is often followed by a period of Hypo, I thought she was on to something.

I have not gone in to get checked, because from what I have heard, treatment has been hit or miss, or worse, and instead looked into healing with diet and exercise lifestyle changes. I have to go in soon for a physical, and he will probably test me then, but I don't know how I feel about it. I don't want to feel pressured onto synthetic treatment. But I do want to make sure nothing is seriously wrong.
    At this point, with the amount that I am exercising and strict way I am eating, I want to see SOME SORT of result in my weight loss. But i've got nothing. It's been 3 weeks of exercising 1-2 times a day for 40-100 minutes each time. I continued to gain, and now I am hovering at that gain without losing. I am very discouraged.

About that same amount of time I have been taking Gaia's Thyroid and Adrenal support supplements and it seems to have helped with my hair loss and rapid weight gain. But I still can't lose anything.

The only way to know if it is truly my thyroid is to get tested. (And even those tests can be inaccurate, I hear) So until then, I'd like to hear from others and what they've done to stop the massive weight shift. And how do you deal with the disappointment of working so dang hard and HAVE NOTHING HAPPEN!? I just want to give up. :(
  • Dspartan
    Dspartan Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm new to this website and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Danielle and I was just diagnosed with Hashimotos/Hypothyroidism a few weeks ago. My doctor put me on Synthroid (25mcg) 2 weeks ago and I'm trying to get fit and also lose maybe 15-20lbs. I've gained a lot of weight in the past 2 years and I thought that was just due to the stress of being a teacher and just getting older. I look forward to reading more and getting fit!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I've just joined the group. I don't have a diagnosis, but I'm waiting on bloodwork results.
    I've been able to lose weight quite well until December/January. It just kind of stalled out then and hasn't really gone anywhere but up and down since.
    In the last 6-8 weeks, I've noticed that I'm insanely cold, my nails turn blue, and more recently (4 weeks or so), my hair has gone horribly brittle, my nails are weak, my skin is so dry, and oddly, while exercising, my toes cramp up.

I went to see the doctor (PCP), and she immediately gave me a work-up to have blood drawn based on my symptoms. She said if it doesn't come back as a thyroid issue, she has no idea because I'm a "book case" for underactive thyroid.

I've been told by others that because I lose weight, I lost my insulation so I'll be cold. It seems so much more than this! I went and donated blood a few weeks ago, and it took 3 attempts at taking my temperature to meet the minimum requirements for body temperature. THEN it took 16 minutes to get enough blood - usually it takes 5-10 minutes.

I've been foggy and forgetful for so long, my hubby's told me on multiple occasions that I should have a CAT scan to make sure I'm ok.

As much as I don't want to have a diagnosis, I wouldn't feel so crazy and maybe get back to feeling normal again (normal is such a relative term hehe) if I knew what was going on!

Oh - my name is Krista, I'm 29, married with 2 kids .. and I'm Canadian! :drinker:
  • MancChick
    MancChick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm new to the boards and looking for other thyroid challenged folks for moral support.

You can call me MC (I wish to remain annonymous) I am a Graves sufferer, exercise fanatic and Manchester United supporter. I am UK based and was diagnosed 2 years ago with Graves, I went through one course of Carbimazole over 8 months or so until my levels stabilised, have been off medication for over a year but have just relapsed.

I am one month into second course and my levels are stabilising quickly (as they did last time). Looking forwards becoming hypo this month (not) so I'm here to try to limit my intake of calories and the inevitable weight gain that will soon be upon me. I gained 2 stone last time at this point, after losing a stone whilst hyper, so I am much better prepared this time. Although, i haven't lost a stone this time - have gained 5-6 pounds if anything.

I am not a fan of holistic therapies, I am ruling out thyroid removal (DO NOT want a scar!) and RAI as i have the Eye Disease, so I think this will be me forever, replase, medicate, relapse, medicate.

Struggling at the moment because I miss being able to train properly, I need the endorphins but I don't need my heart rate maxing out at over 200bpm. I am tring to retain some fitness by exercising with my HRM but keeping under 180 BPM - and it doesn't take much to hit that at the moment.

I am no longer craving sugar and my hair has stopped falling out so at least there is movement in the right direction.

Looking forwards to 'meeting' you all.

MC
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for any friends with thyroid problems. It's nice to have people who can relate.

I have had Hashimoto's for a few years now. I had just hypothyroidism for a few years prior. I went undiagnosed for about 4 years because a couple of docs had a "miscommunication," and I never was put on medication.

I have recently started Armour and I'm hoping this is what I need to get my levels in check and finally be able to lose the weight.
  • mochamalt
    mochamalt Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello I am 26 years old and about to get married in a month! I have struggled with hypothyroidism since the 6th grade. Three months ago I started to feel super lethargic and put on ALOT of weight (15lbs!). Apparently my synthroid dosage needed to be increased so Im going through the trials of finding out what will work for me now after being on the same dosage for years.
    Its nice to finally be able to communicate with people in the same situation!