Tips for Staying Motivated

Options
I'm having a hard time staying motivated to type this as I wrote it once and then lost all the information to a computer glitch. Argh! hahaha.

With New Year's Resolutions bright on our minds and a nice juicy challenge to sink our teeth into, motivation can be found in abundance right now!

But be it a week or 2 months from now, that burst will inevitably fade into Auld Lang Syne.

Since motivation is pretty key to staying "on it" in terns of a healthy lifestyle, here are some tips to keep the buzz going.

1) Set Yourself Up for Success
a) Track your progress by as many means as possible. Measurements, before pictures, ability Some time the scale stops moving for literally NO scientifically fathomable reason. Nothing kills mojo like a lack of trackable progress.
So track! If that scale stops moving, you inches very well may still be shrinking, and you might find that in pictures, the tummy is looking a bit flatter or your arms firmer. If you work hard and push yourself, you WILL be able to lift more weight. Measure yourself TODAY. Take a before picture TODAY. Do a fit test or ability test TODAY!
b) Set Goals that are challenging AND with reason. This one is a tough one. You want to push yourself, but not to set a goal that is absolutely unattainable. I encourage setting most goals based on what you DO: eg, meeting your nutrition macros, taking on something like the 30 day shred or Insanity. You have TOTAL control over whether or not you meet those goals. That's not to discount goals for weight loss, inches or body fat. Just make them with love for yourself and your health and safety.

2) Know Your Triggers. If you have fallen off the wagon before, what was happening? Was there an event or events or a specific emotion your were feeling? Likely, the same type of things would lead to a derailment again. But if you know what they are, you will know what type of support to seek in order to power through to the other side.
And there is another side.

3) Accept it: You Are Where you Are, Now Let's Move On. I hear a lot of people beating themselves up based on their current state - I am guilty too. But where does that get us? There is no altering what I have done to be where I am, there is only what I can do now and in the future, so why beat myself up??? Accept the body you're in and love it for what it is. Love it so much that you want to make it better.

4) For staying motivated with our 3 week challenge ahead, it's vital to have workouts you can do. If you go to a class, have a back up in case you can't go. I recommend taking a peek at the workouts for Bodyrock.tv.
Plus, Jillian Michaels' workouts are on Youtube.
Pinterest has great, short workouts that are intense pinned alllll over its health section.
Plan to do one or more work outs a week above goal. That way, if something goes amiss, you're still up on things.

Hope this is helpful. What keeps you motivated? What helps you pull out of slumps. Post your thoughts here.

Replies

• pkdarlin
    pkdarlin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Very helpful! Thanks for starting up this challenge., it's just what I needed. :smile:
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks! You have anticipated everything that could help in those Dark Times...