Metabolic Resistance Training (MRT)

Options
I 've been researching Metabolic Resistance Training (MRT) using Lyle McDonald's site [http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html] and other resources, but I've just managed to thoroughly confuse myself. I should also mention that I just started day 1 of the Maximum Capacity (MRT) program this morning [http://www.maxcapacitytraining.com/].

--- Is MRT a replacement for lifting or can it be categorized as cardio? I usually categorize exercise as either cardio, resistance/weights or stretching/flexibility, so I'm trying to fit MRT into one of these categories.
--- Since I have so much weight to lose, should I only do MRT for the 3-4 years it will probably take me to reach my goal weight/body?
--- Should I continue lifting while doing MRT and if so, should that lifting be endurance, hypertrohpy or strength?
--- What should a fat loss program that includes MRT look like?
--- Do I do cardio on the days that I don't do MRT?

I'm looking for a good workout plan that will burn off my extra 50+ pounds. Thanks for any clarity you can offer.

Replies

• cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It is both lifting and cardio when done correct. I think i used one of the workouts from bodybuilding.com.
    You will want about 5 exercises and you want to fail in the 8 to 10 rep range. You want to do the exercises with no rest between exercises and about a 2 minute rest after you have done all 5. Do 3 sets of the series of exercises. The idea is to keep your heart rate up to the point that you find it difficult to carry on a conversation between or during sets.
    I use metabolic resistance training when i am cutting and i eat barely under my tdee and have minimal to no lbm loss.
    I do mrt 3 days a week and use a full body workout. I don't do cardio on my off days because my body needs the recovery time.
  • cafel3
    cafel3 Posts: 89
    Options
    @cedarghost - Thanks for your response! How long are your MRT sessions? I'm doing Maximum Capacity so mine are 16 minutes.