calorie count too low?

Options
milo321
milo321 Posts: 23 Member
Hi guys! i am a new member/lurker. am wondering about the 1200 colrie range? according to all i entered on my MFP entry, 1200 is too low, esp given the amount of cals i burn doing the workout. Don't want to open a can of worms! :) ...
just wondering what all the "starting Dec 31 groupies "are doing about the diet plan. thanks so much1 am so thankful to have a group i can post to! :) anne

Replies

• samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Hello! :)

I am not following her suggested 1200 calories for the program. I usually eat around 1500-1700 calories depending on the day. I feel like 1200 would be too low for me. So far I have found I roughly burn around 180-300 per workout, which would leave me with only eating 900-1020 for the day. I would miserable on that! Maybe someone who is somewhere near the end of the program can respond and see how they did eating 1200 a day. :)
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I followed MFP recommendations and ate 1400-1500 cal/day and was successful with the program. 1200 cal was too low for me.
    www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/807755-body-revolution-before-and-after-pics
  • milo321
    milo321 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thanks for the post! cpngrats on the weigh loss!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    anything below your BMR will hamper your results and your body, i had to learn the hard way (hair started falling out), eat at BMR at the lowest end and try to eat back the exercise cals. for me my sweet spot was around 1700-1800 cals and my BMR was right around 1500.
  • Mommy_J
    Mommy_J Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is hard for me to grasp....so since my BMR is 1850, I should have a goal of 1800 calories instead of the 1400 I've been trying to eat? I guess I just dont understand how that will help me lose weight faster.
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    This is hard for me to grasp....so since my BMR is 1850, I should have a goal of 1800 calories instead of the 1400 I've been trying to eat? I guess I just dont understand how that will help me lose weight faster.

But do you eat back your exercise calories? If you do then you should be eating closer to 1800/day.
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Jillian on calorie restriction
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meqvmEf6G04&feature=share&list=PLD01B9DE8CCBD45CD

I do things a little differently than explained in the above video.

A little about me, i am 25, 5'4 and 193lbs, I like to get as close to 1200 NET as i can (sometimes more). I go off of how i feel, if i honestly and truly feel hungry and it's been a few hours since i ate last... then i eat. I am doing JMBR 6 days a week with 3-4 days of 6 week six pack... on the days i add in 6WSP i probably eat closer to 1800 total calories. On the days where i just do JMBR i eat around 1400-1500 total.

MFP sets you up with a calorie deficit to lose the weight you want per week WITHOUT exercise. So for instance, mfp gives a calorie limit of 1250 calories to lose 1.5lbs per week, you ate the 1200 calories but then you exercised and burned 300. You just created a larger deficit, so therefor you should eat at least 200-300 more before the day is over.

You can eat according to your bmr or tdee but in my opinion you need to know your body fat % and use the Katch Mcardle formula. It is the most accurate. The bmr calculator on here gave me 1600ish then i did the katch mcardle formula and that gave me 1450ish. (yours may be higher, i just have a really high BF% so mine is lower).