New to Stronglifts 5X5

Options
Happy New Year everybody. Over the holiday, I've done some reading in trying to decide on a simple lifting routine. Last year I'd moved to a circuit with fewer exercises and it looked something like this:

Wall squats with a fitness ball (15ish reps, increasing each week)
bench press (10-12 reps)
deadlift (5-7 reps)
lat pulldown (10-12 reps)

I'd increase reps and/or weight if reasonable, although I didn't have a spotter so I kept the bench low enough to avoid trouble. I'd do three sets of the above, and add some isolation like triceps extensions, dumbbell curls, lateral arm raises, and overhead presses (dumbbell).

I'd go through three sets of everything except the squats, which I'd do 5. The isolation exercises would be 1-3 sets...kind of thrown in willy nilly.

So I want to be more focused this year and consolidate my lifting. Stronglifts 5x5 seems to accomplish that and is incredibly simple to follow. (Not the same as easy to complete...mind you.)

I'm very excited to get started. I've read quite a few posts from this group and learned quite a bit, but I have a few questions if you don't mind:

Mehdi doesn't seem to write too much about cardio. I enjoy the cardio I get (stationary bike; ice skating; the occasional hike) and once I'm a bit stronger I might even play some floor hockey and/or ice hockey and I don't want to leave the cardio out. I'm also old enough at 42 to recognize that I'm not the young guy that can work really hard with heavier weights once I get there and recover quickly.

First question: How many of you also do cardio? And how - if at all - does it interfere with your plan of three workouts per week?

Second question: Do any of you only do two days of 5x5 per week instead of 3? Or some modification like two rest days instead of one, and simply go over third day regardless? I don't want to sound like I'm trying to take the easy way out here. I'm simply being realistic based on how slowly I recover now, my time and my interests.

And to clarify my goals:

Lose the fat and get fit, all while enjoying my workouts. In the past, I've definitely enjoyed lifting, so I'm not worried about that. Being the 'buff guy with a 6 pack' isn't on my list of goals. I simply want to get fit and enjoy life.

Thanks again in advance for any answers.

Lowell

Replies

• LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    Welcome to stronglifts!! I personally play basketball 2-3 times a week. This is the only cardio I usually do, except some soccer and walking on occasion. I try to get all 3 workouts in each week sometimes I only get 2 in though. I'm 31 and still recover fairly quickly although I did have to take some time off during the fall due to a pulled muscle in my back. I would suggest starting low weight like he says and make sure your form is good. It will get heavy fast enough and this could help with recovery as well if your not starting too heavy. I'm on my 4 week of my second go at it, back injury was after close to 12 weeks after starting. I never lifted regularly before this and i have been very happy with my results so far.

Squat 230 x 5x5
    Bench 130 x 5x5
    Row 130 x 5x5
    OH 95 x 5x5
    DL 265 1x5 with a 315 1x1 PR on 12/31

Good Luck To You!!!
  • JocelynMartin10
    Options
    Here's what I do. When I stick to my routine I feel stronger, healthier, happier, lighter, I sleep better, etc etc.

- I walk every day after dinner for about 30 minutes
    - I hike 1-2 times a month
    - I lift 5x5 two times a week.
    Day 1: Squats/Deadlifts/Bench or Overhead Press
    Day 2: Squats/Press/Pushups or weighted pull ups to failure
    -I do one of the following 1-2 times a week
    ** Tabata intervals (20 sec work, 10 sec rest, for 5-15 minutes) of burpees, sprints, jumping rope, jumping jacks
    ** bleacher laps until I can't do them anymore

Check out marksdailyapple.com for more info on working out. Basically I follow his "model/program" of "lifting heavy things" 1-3 times a week, sprinting 1-2 times a week, and moving slowly (walking) everyday. By the way, Mark (the author of the site) is 56 and in incredible shape... seriously it's ridiculous.

Good luck!
  • Huskychemist
    Huskychemist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you both very much for the replies. I really appreciate your time and input.

Workout A is tomorrow for me. Woohoo! (And I'm going to start with just the barbell, like Mehdi suggests and work on form first. I think this is critical, especially for the deadlift and squat.)