Gluten Free

Options
2»

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy Islandmonkey's input!! I've learned so much!!! Thanks Islandmonkey!! My sister's got celiac's disease and 'all' of the women in our family have had some form of thyroid autoimmune problem. My blood work came back negative; but if I eat any form of gluten during the day I feel bloated and swollen and very fatigued at night. I'm also 'not' loosing weight and slowly gaining 'no matter' what I do!!! and do!!! and do!!!!

Haha thanks - I've learned a lot in the last little while, mostly from people much smarter than me, and feel the need to "pass it on" -- I wish I had known this much when I was diagnosed 20 years ago!

Did they mention that you have to eat gluten for a month straight, daily, before doing the test? A lot of people don't bother because they are just so uncomfortable that a firm diagnosis isn't worth it. I don't know as much about the actual testing but I think there are a few options?

Oh wow...so has your sister been testing for thyroid issues??
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    I always enjoy Islandmonkey's input!! I've learned so much!!! Thanks Islandmonkey!! My sister's got celiac's disease and 'all' of the women in our family have had some form of thyroid autoimmune problem. My blood work came back negative; but if I eat any form of gluten during the day I feel bloated and swollen and very fatigued at night. I'm also 'not' loosing weight and slowly gaining 'no matter' what I do!!! and do!!! and do!!!!

Haha thanks - I've learned a lot in the last little while, mostly from people much smarter than me, and feel the need to "pass it on" -- I wish I had known this much when I was diagnosed 20 years ago!

Did they mention that you have to eat gluten for a month straight, daily, before doing the test? A lot of people don't bother because they are just so uncomfortable that a firm diagnosis isn't worth it. I don't know as much about the actual testing but I think there are a few options?

Oh wow...so has your sister been testing for thyroid issues??

I always enjoy Islandmonkey's input too! Lol. As for the GF experiment, it's going great!! I used to get this achiness all over, my joints were sensitive, and I felt like I had a slight fever. It's wasn't as bad when I started thyroid treatment, but I still got it. Ever since I've been GF, I haven't had it at all! I have had tons of energy, no more being "backed up", and the weight is slowly coming off! I have been working so hard to lose the weight, and it hadn't budged for a long time. I also added vitamin D3 to my supplements, so that might also have had an effect too. But I think everyone should try to at least reduce the gluten in their diet and see how it makes them feel, it won't hurt ya! :happy:
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    As for the GF experiment, it's going great!! I used to get this achiness all over, my joints were sensitive, and I felt like I had a slight fever. It's wasn't as bad when I started thyroid treatment, but I still got it. Ever since I've been GF, I haven't had it at all! I have had tons of energy, no more being "backed up", and the weight is slowly coming off! I have been working so hard to lose the weight, and it hadn't budged for a long time. I also added vitamin D3 to my supplements, so that might also have had an effect too. But I think everyone should try to at least reduce the gluten in their diet and see how it makes them feel, it won't hurt ya! :happy:

That's great!!

I think pretty much everyone should be on Vit D supplements, haha. :)
  • rwoodman0903
    Options
    I have been Gluten Free/Dairy Free for about 1.5 years after being told by a chiropractor that ANYONE who has thryoid issues, and particularly those with Hashimotos are probably gluten sensitive.

When I first did GF, I used a lot of GF substitutes, which were just as bad and I actually gained weight. They are made with rice, potato, lots of starch and very little fiber. Unfortunately, if you are sensitive to gluten, other grains and even other foods (for me, dairy) can also be an issue.

I would suggest a paleo type diet (no grains or dairy) at least initially and then you can try adding things grains in one by one and see how they make you feel.. My meds were also off, so once I adjusted them, the weight finally started to come off with diet. I do eat grains occassionally, but try to limit it. Going GF helped my galbladder pain, hair loss, brain fog, back pain, hand pain (similar to carpal tunnel), so it is definitely better for me. Good luck!!!