What do you say to your kids?

Options
florymonde
florymonde Posts: 261 Member
I know it's generally recognized that it's bad to tell kids that they need to diet. But I do think it's okay to say things like

"We need to cut back on sweets" or "We need to eat more healthful foods" or "We need to exercise more."

Thoughts?

Replies

• Hpetrie
    Hpetrie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think kids are more receptive to healthy snacks and drinks than we give them credit for. If you get them involved in the family decisions, such as buying snacks, and planning and cooking meals, they will be learning about a healthy lifestyle without us having to ever say the word diet to them. My son is a wrestler, so when the season is upon us, he has to maintain his weight. I do not let him starve, or suck weight, but I allow him to maintain it through diet and exercise. One great way to tell that they are listening to you is to have them list off some healthy snacks, foods, and activities, then there is no question that they understand what it's all about. By educating them on a healthy lifestyle, we will be educating ourselves, and then you make those changes together as a family.