holistic doctors?

Options
DebraYvonne
DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
I have used traditional medicine for my Hashi's for 17 years (Synthroid) successfully. I have always been completely energetic, peppy, etc. But the past few months I do not have my get up & go. I wonder if any other folks have tried the alternative medicine route and been successful? We have a new wellness group in our city that uses holistic medicine that I may try.

Replies

• ladyshills
    Options
    You are so lucky Synthyroid has worked for you for so long. I'm back on it after trying Armour which did not work at all for me. Synthyroid doesn't work that well for me, I am up to 150 per day & have no energy. There is a facebook group called ThyroidSexy or SexyThryroid run by Gena Lee Nolin & Mary Sholoman (may have misspelled her name).. Several thousand people with many on holistic meds & it works great for them. Check it out. Good luck!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I have used traditional medicine for my Hashi's for 17 years (Synthroid) successfully. I have always been completely energetic, peppy, etc. But the past few months I do not have my get up & go. I wonder if any other folks have tried the alternative medicine route and been successful? We have a new wellness group in our city that uses holistic medicine that I may try.

Hashi's can be tough to manage because you can have swings up and down. Most people with Hashi's find their med dose changes often.

Honestly, I would look at a couple of things:
    1. Get your levels tested, and make sure they test your free T3 and free T4. Often doctors just want to go on TSH, which is a terrible measure of thyroid function, especially in those already taking meds. You want your levels to be optimal, not just "within normal range". Optimal is around mid-range for free T4, and in the top 1/3 of the range for free T3.
    2. Switching to a natural thyroid med, like Armour or Nature Thyroid. It contains both T3 and T4 (as well as T2, T1, and some other requirements). As well, the T4 is bioidentical to your body's thyroid hormone and is easier to convert; unlike the synthetic T4 in your synthroid.
    3. Get your iron, ferritin, Vit D, and Vit B12 levels tested. Iron is used in converting T4 into T3, and ferritin is basically your iron stores. Vit D is critical for T3 expression at the cellular level; i.e. what makes your cells "go". You want your Vit D not just at "normal", but optimal; at least 60-80.

My guess is that your free T3 levels are too low, and/or that your Vit D is too low.

I'd caution you on supplementing with iodine without getting your iodine levels tested. Some people just know that 'thyroids use iodine" and think that supplementing must help. However, it only helps if the source of your thyroid issues are low iodione levels; since you're positive for Hashi's that's unlikely. Plus supplementing with iodine when your levels are already sufficient can make your hypothyroid worse.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    don't forget the cytomel for the T3. If I don't take it twice a day I sleep for 2 hours in the afternoon. I am just hypo after surgery, so different disease.
  • NurseandMom1981
    NurseandMom1981 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat my hashis is no longer under control and suffer from always being tired too
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I hate not having my normal energy!!
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    don't forget the cytomel for the T3. If I don't take it twice a day I sleep for 2 hours in the afternoon. I am just hypo after surgery, so different disease.

Cytomel is a synthetic T3 and would be used in conjunction with a synthetic T4 like Synthroid or Levothyroxine.

If something is using a natural/dessicated med like Armour or Nature Thyroid then synthetic T3 is not necessary (as the med contains natural T3).

For people who stick with synthetic T4 I definitely think many (if not most) should also be on cytomel. But most people feel better with a natural med as it's bioidentical to your body's natural hormones.

Make sure you don't take your cytomel before labs, as it can give an artifically high free T3 result. And most people shouldn't take it before bed as it can keep you awake at night.
  • ginnylee75
    ginnylee75 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Cytomel is a synthetic T3 and would be used in conjunction with a synthetic T4 like Synthroid or Levothyroxine.

If something is using a natural/dessicated med like Armour or Nature Thyroid then synthetic T3 is not necessary (as the med contains natural T3).

For people who stick with synthetic T4 I definitely think many (if not most) should also be on cytomel. But most people feel better with a natural med as it's bioidentical to your body's natural hormones.

Make sure you don't take your cytomel before labs, as it can give an artifically high free T3 result. And most people shouldn't take it before bed as it can keep you awake at night.

I take Armour and my endo also gives me Cytomel as my T4 is good but my T3 is still low. The Cytomel has helped a lot. However the T3 is still low so now he is checking the Adrenals. Everyone is different. Hang in there and keep on discussing your symptoms with whomever you decide to go with. Holistic or Medical doctor.
  • islandmonkey
    Options

I take Armour and my endo also gives me Cytomel as my T4 is good but my T3 is still low. The Cytomel has helped a lot. However the T3 is still low so now he is checking the Adrenals. Everyone is different. Hang in there and keep on discussing your symptoms with whomever you decide to go with. Holistic or Medical doctor.

Armour is made from dessicated pig thyroid hormone, and the ratio of T3 to T4 is much higher in pigs than in humans. If your free T4 is good (I assume by good your doctor means optimal, so it's at least middle of the range your lab uses?) and your free T3 is too low, you have something else going on for sure.