Free at last!

Options
CRody44
CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes in 2003 and slowly tried to get my weight down about 30 lbs. from 2003 to 2010. In Feb. of 2011, I started cutting out processed carbs and eating healthier and lost another 30 lbs. I did good enough to get off several diabetes meds except for metformin, 1000mg twice a day. I had a series of health issues over the years and, last August, was taken off the metformin and placed on insulin to combat the effects of prednisone which I took for two months. I was taking 20 units of Novolin twice a day and Novolog as needed before meals and bed. I went lower carb two months ago, trying to stay under 42 grams per day, losing another 5 lbs. In December, I only had to inject Novolin 6 times because my BG had been in such good control. My highest morning fasting BG was 128 and my highest after dinner BG was 121. I then ran a test for a day going without Novolin, checking my BG every hour for 14 hours and never got higher than 108. Armed with this info, I emailed my doctor asking to be removed from the insulin. He agreed, telling me that he wanted me to keep my morning fasting BG under 130 and my 2 hour after dinner BG under 160.

So now I am completely off any diabetes medication. I am under control, not cured! I will watch what I eat so I don’t screw this up! This is a great way to start the year!

My next goal is to get off the blood pressure meds.

Replies

• pkdarlin
    pkdarlin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    That is great! What a nice way to start the new year.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Great work. You are in control.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    That's really great news to start the New Year. You have worked really hard and have received your just reward. Stories like yours are a great incentive to those who are recently diagnosed or who are still on the journey. Thanks for sharing this news with us. We rejoice with you and are encouraged to keep plugging away, very well done.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Yahooooooo! Congrats, for your achievements, but most of all... for all your effort. Happy New Year to you!!!
  • sabinavaughan
    sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Awesome awesome awesome!!! Thats my goal this year...to come off the insulin. I'm only on 10 Units mid day and 1000mg of metformin. my brother is only on the metformin..I know if I loose the weight I have a better chance! Thanks for inspriring!
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    For anyone that is amazing, considering all you have been through it makes it doubly impressive. Well done Chuck.
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!.. Well Done!!!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement. So far, my highest BG has been 111 since quitting insulin, and that was New Year’s day, a day of watching football and eating finger food.
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Congratulations ! What a nice way to start 2013 !
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and a great way to start the new year!
  • lmataloni
    lmataloni Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Awesome! This is my dream. My meds are piling up and piling up. I feel like it has been harder to lose weight on insulin and all these meds. Totally out of whack! Keep up good work!
  • mamajenb
    mamajenb Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic!
  • peacefulwaters
    Options
    Great job!!! Keep up the good work. I hope to be there at some point also.
  • mistressfaye
    mistressfaye Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic start to your year!!! Im so happy for you :)