Good Health Habits

Options
mrsfurby14
mrsfurby14 Posts: 181 Member
1. Portion Control. The best way to make sure you have the correct portion is by measuring but sometimes that is not possible so here is some other ways

Use your hand to Estimate

Fist = 1 cup or 1 medium whole fruit
Thumb(tip to base) = 1 ounce of meat or cheese
Thumb tip(tip to 1st joint) = 1 tablespoon
Fingertip(tip to 1st joint) = 1 teaspoon
Index finger(1st to 2nd joint) = 1 inch
Cupped hand = 1-2 ounces of nuts or pretzels
Palm(minus fingers)= 3 ounces of cooked meat, fish, or poultry

Use the Plate method

Divide your plate into quarters. Fill 1/4 with a grain based side dish, 1/4 with a protein source and the remaining 1/2 with 0-1 Point vegetables and/or fruit

2. 5 servings of Fruits and Vegetables: For leafy vegetables like lettuce and spinach one serving is 1 cup; for all other fruits and vegetables 1/2 cup is a serving.

3. 2 or 3 servings of Milk and or Milk products.

4. Make Whole grains part of your new lifestyle

5. Make sure you get enough protein. Have one to two servings of protein besides your milk servings

6. Go light on Fats, Added Sugar, Alcohol

7. Take your Vitamins

8. Get at least six glasses a day of water. 3 of your six glasses can be a decaffeinated beverages.

Replies

• AA1ex
    AA1ex Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This is all helpfull. The using your own body to know appox serving sizes helps a ton when you are eatting out. And to add to this I want to mention that 8 cups of water at least is what your body needs to maintain proper functioning. So If someone is working out alot or has a strenuous day remember you will need more than that. But on the other side you can drink too much water where you flush your body of necessary salts. I like to get about 80-100 oz in me. :smile:
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I had to see a dietitian about my daughter, because she is gaining weight, one thing she said was about starchy foods, such as pastas, potatoes, bread n rice, I think its white flour too, not sure, limit it as much as you can. At least one serving with your dinner, no more. I think of it as a starchy substance, and starch sticks, you see it when your boiling how much comes out n sticks to the sides, think of it going into your body. But I do eat maybe 3-4 starchy items per week, well when I was eating better, before Christmas lol I will be returning