Loosing vs Maintenance

skyttles
skyttles Posts: 33 Member
I would post this on the main forums but I feel like its more a question for when you really don't have that much weight left to loose, i don't know, maybe i'm wrong... je ne sais pas
Anyways I'm trying to drop about 5 more pounds so i'm sticking to a 1200 cal diet which is fine as long as i'm eating healthy (I'm really short....) I've done this for about a month now and have really been enjoying it. I'm not struggling with it as much as i thought i would be and its really taught me to make better choices with my food. (I also eat back whatever i work off). Once I loose the weight i will up my calories until i find a good maintenance.
This past week I've had a lot of stress come my way very quickly and i'm having a hard time holding on. I'm an emotional eater. I'm wondering if it would be ok to up my calories to maintenance and see if i can stick with that until i'm over this hump, or suck it up and continue to try to loose the weight. I'm more worried with maintaining a lifestyle than i am trying to loose the weight (its mostly vanity weight anyways, i'm well within a healthy range). If this was happening in the future i would be have a slightly higher calorie goal which would make life easier. I'm capable of sucking it up but i'm finding it to be highly depressing and i just don't know if that's a healthy way to go about it. Then again life always throws curve balls at you and you can't make excuses for everything. What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    In this forum, someone mentioned they adjusted their weight loss goals to half a pound a week and that helped them with the slow process to goal without feeling really deprived (or something to that effect).Maybe that's what you need right now.

I adjusted mine today. Honestly, I just try to eat within a 1400-1600 cal range,work out like I'm suuposed to, and not stress over the 'goal' so much. As far as I'm concerned, I'm in it for life, so I'm just going to go with the flow.
  • skyttles
    skyttles Posts: 33 Member
    That is adjusted to half a pound, i'm very short and have a desk job so i'm extremely sedentary besides my workouts I can't really do more than that without being unhealthy.... But yea not over complicating it and just going with the flow might be good for me right now. Thanks for replying
  • CoCoRedRider
    CoCoRedRider Posts: 47 Member
    I would go on maintenance for a month to 6 weeks - especially if your workouts include strength training. You may not lose weight but you will likely see the muscle to fat ratio improve. I'm trying it this month, anyway...
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    I think it would help you to increase your cals a little bit, even if it's a little below maintenance but higher than 1200. As long as you're not gaining, you're golden.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    You can add a little without actually going to maintenance, but if you want to try maintenance, go for it. Keep in mind that the calculators aren't always exactly accurate, so if you keep losing or start gaining, you can make a small adjustment to fix it, don't necessarily have to go back to 1200.
  • JHart0816
    JHart0816 Posts: 58 Member
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I would like to lose between 5 and 10 pounds, although I'm sometimes happy right where I'm at. I think I just need to get more fit and I want to eat less processed foods and develop healthier eating habits.

I have MFP set to lose 1/2 pound per week. And I don't stress if I go over a little every day, because then I'm pretty much just maintaining where I'm at. I figure even if I don't lose at least I'm not gaining. And hopefully my workouts will develop some much needed muscle and toning which is more important to me at this point.
  • hollymartin90
    hollymartin90 Posts: 57 Member
    I think you could up ur cals a tiny bit and see what happens.If you start gaining you could always go back down.im on about 1000-1200 cals a day and only have a few pounds i wanna lose now.when I get to my goal not sure what to do for maintenance keep exercising but slightly up cals??any help