stage 1 help

Options
I'm sure this has been covered at some point but I couldn't clearly see the answers in this group.

I don't understand what

workout 1,2
workout 3,4
workout 5,6
workout 7,8

is all about. I can understand doing the sets in order 2 X15 then doing it again, is this 1,2? But it doesn't fit in with the programme duration to go 1,2 - 7,8.

I hope if you have read the book that makes sense. It's a big book so if I have missed something obvious please tell me or I'm going to continue doing it wrong.

Adding the workout to my gym routines (stage 1 workouts A&B) adds 20 mins. Am I doing it all wrong?

Replies

• morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    This should help clear it up. :)

http://www.jpfitness.com/showthread.php?t=29198&highlight=stage+1+schedule

"Does this make sense:

Stage 1

Week 1
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #1)
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #1)
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #2)

Week 2
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #2)
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #3)
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #3)

Week 3
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #4)
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #4)
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #5)

Week 4
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #5)
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #6)
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #6)

Week 5
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #7)
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #7)
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #8)

Week 6
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #8)"
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    yes that makes sense now I knew it would be simple
  • kr381806
    kr381806 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What would the "typical" weight to begin with the deadlifts? I don't even know how much the barbell weighs by itself (don't judge!) so I don't want to throw some #'s on there and injure myself.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I believe standard olympic bars weigh 45lbs, but I could be wrong.

The author notes that most women underestimate their ability to lift a certain weight by a long shot. His advice to most men is to take some off what they think they can lift and most women need to add.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I modified the fill-in schedule log that is on the website to make sense to me. I just extended it from 4 workouts, out to 8 workouts for each exercise in Workouts A and B and that helped me visualize it better.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    What would the "typical" weight to begin with the deadlifts? I don't even know how much the barbell weighs by itself (don't judge!) so I don't want to throw some #'s on there and injure myself.

oly bars are 45#. Start with the barbell, do one set, see what you think, and adjust as needed. It will take a couple of sessions in the gym to figure out your starting wieght for each move. Don't be afraid to adjust between sets or even get started in a set and have to re-rack and adjust up or down as necessary.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has been covered at some point but I couldn't clearly see the answers in this group.

I don't understand what

workout 1,2
    workout 3,4
    workout 5,6
    workout 7,8

is all about. I can understand doing the sets in order 2 X15 then doing it again, is this 1,2? But it doesn't fit in with the programme duration to go 1,2 - 7,8.

I hope if you have read the book that makes sense. It's a big book so if I have missed something obvious please tell me or I'm going to continue doing it wrong.

Adding the workout to my gym routines (stage 1 workouts A&B) adds 20 mins. Am I doing it all wrong?

I had this question as well. And even reading the explanation I had a hard time translating it to how the worksheet is written. Total newb.

But I think I got it now...... assuming lifting 3x per week.

Week 1 = ABA
    Week 2 = BAB
    Week 3 = ABA
    Week 4 = BAB
    Week 5 = ABA

Workout A
    workout 1,2 = This is the first week, the first two times you do this. So if you are on a Mon-Wed-Fri schedule, this would be Mon & Fri.
    workout 3,4 = This would be second week and into the third week. The Wed of the second week and Mon of the third week.
    workout 5,6 = This would Friday of third week and Wed of fourth week
    workout 7,8 = This would be the Mon & Fri of the fifth week.

Then Week 6 you are doing the special workouts?

Workout B would be the days opposite the above.

And doing Workout A the first time....

Squat 15 reps - then rest for 60 seconds - Squat 15 reps

Then Alternating sets means you alternate the next two exercises.....

Pushup 15 reps - rest 60 seconds - Seated Row 15 reps - rest 60 and then repeat for second set of both?

And alternate the next two exercises the same, between Step ups and Prone Jackknife.

Follow the chart accordingly to decrease reps/increase weights when possible.

Do I have all that right?
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options

oly bars are 45#. Start with the barbell, do one set, see what you think, and adjust as needed. It will take a couple of sessions in the gym to figure out your starting wieght for each move. Don't be afraid to adjust between sets or even get started in a set and have to re-rack and adjust up or down as necessary.

What I did was to start fairly low and added weight every set that I could. Sometimes I added another set if I really dogged it on the first two. The key is to keep adding weight when you can.
  • MzDfy
    MzDfy Posts: 14
    Options
    This should help clear it up. :)

http://www.jpfitness.com/showthread.php?t=29198&highlight=stage+1+schedule

"Does this make sense:

Stage 1

Week 1
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #1)
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #1)
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #2)

Week 2
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 15 reps (Wk #2)
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #3)
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #3)

Week 3
    Workout A – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #4)
    Workout B – 2 sets of each exercise – 12 reps (Wk #4)
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #5)

Week 4
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #5)
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #6)
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 10 reps (Wk #6)

Week 5
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #7)
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #7)
    Workout A – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #8)

Week 6
    Workout B – 3 sets of each exercise – 8 reps (Wk #8)"

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :flowerforyou: That URL link really helped me to finally figure this all out. I did have to scroll through the feeds, past where Lou gets involved with the whole schedule. I think I'm going to make copies of the pics and my log and take that to the "dumbbell" side of the gym with me. You would have laughed to see me at the gym yesterday in that section. I gave up and worked out on the machines because I did not have the pictures to guide me.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    What helped me to figure out and remember the individual excercises for each workout was to have a physical run-through of each exercise at home without weights. Once you actually do it, it makes sense and you will remember it when you get to the weight room.
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. Thanks :)
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    bump