How many calories are you eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lindseysarus
    Options
    I know its so frowned upon and can put me into "starvation mode", but I've been eating 1000 net calories or less. Im by no means FEELING starved though. Ive just switched from high Cal fatty binge foods to veges and other yummy things! I try to work in light exercise daily. I don't feel so sluggish and my colon seems to like me a lot more. I eat clean, restrict the high Cal junk, but im still getting plenty full and eating pastas and burgers. I've just cut down to normal portions and eat clean. No, im not suggesting you do this! My Doctor has agreed that along with a daily vitamin, balanced diet, and not over exerting myself this would be a great way to begin my weight loss and learning self control.
  • Rivmage
    Rivmage Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    MPF put me at 1950. Based on TDEE - 20% I should be getting 2940 which is my currently daily goal.

Scott
  • teach722
    teach722 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    MFP put me at 1700 or so, I set it at 1500 and get at or close to it daily. I don't usually bother with figuring in excercise calories as of right now. I have been losing weekly, so I figure until that changes I am sticking to what works.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    TDEE and my nutritionist both place me around 2700, however, I wanted to eat cleaner which allows me to eat more at a much lower calorie intake so my nutritionist and doctor both support me with setting a goal of 2100 calories a day.
  • Symphony2010
    Symphony2010 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just had the gastric bypass surgery and am on the liquid diet. I'm eating about 630 calories a day.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    MFP has me at 1980 calories. TDEE -20% has me closer to 2582. I'm 302.2 lbs and 5'6". Right now I'm just trying to stay between those two numbers if at all possible.
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hello all - just wondering how things were going for the people that were eating those higher numbers/TDEE? I had been at 1800 but then losses really slowed down. So I've added exercise and lowered calories to 1300-1600 recently but that doesn't seem to be helping and is just making me feel weak. I've talked with the guy at IIFYM website and he said I should do the TDEE -15% which is like 2500! Think I will do 2100-2400 and just see. So how's the higher calories working for you?
  • tokig0313
    tokig0313 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hello all - just wondering how things were going for the people that were eating those higher numbers/TDEE? I had been at 1800 but then losses really slowed down. So I've added exercise and lowered calories to 1300-1600 recently but that doesn't seem to be helping and is just making me feel weak. I've talked with the guy at IIFYM website and he said I should do the TDEE -15% which is like 2500! Think I will do 2100-2400 and just see. So how's the higher calories working for you?

It will take your body some time to adjust. I generally upped my calories by about 500 every two weeks until I hit my target. The first few days I'd feel slightly bloated and uncomfortable, but usually by the end of the first week I'd gotten use to the extra food. When it came to the scale, I'd generally see a gain the first week, but see my weight start to dip some the other way again the following week.

I've been eating at my target for almost two weeks now. I am not sure if I'll see a loss or not this week as my workout has been ramped up a lot this past week and I think I've discovered a few new muscles in the process. I find at times I'm gaining some weight as my body likely is building muscle from my workout at a bit higher rate then my fat loss, but I'm noticing it in my pant size.

I honestly thought that when I was first told my target after the personal trainer/nutritionist had calculated my micro nutrient numbers that she was completely insane, but I think I'd feel pretty rough eating what I was before and working out as frequent as I am.

Ultimately, you have to do what makes you feel right at the end of the day. I know that following the program I am might mean it takes me longer to loose the weight I want to loose, but it'll be more sustainable for me vs going very low calorie and then when I've lost the weight finding a way to maintain without gaining everything back. I have friends that are following about 10 different approaches and we're all having success. Some have tried TDEE and are loving it, others just found it wasn't for them.
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm using this calculator - http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee to step down my calories. I am doing this very slowly in stages. I set it to a temporary goal of 30 pounds under where I am, and adjust every 10 pounds or so. I have dropped painlessly from over 2500 to 1850. I know many people prefer to see faster results, I'm enjoying making gradual changes to my life over time.