Amitriptyline and Weight Gain

Options
2»

Replies

• melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Thanks @canadjineh it’s taken a lot of time and experimenting and I’m still learning. What’s been really interesting to me is how much diet makes a difference, I had a week of higher carb including lots of bread a couple of weeks ago and I’ve been in a flare up which has left me completely exhausted.

I really think what we eat affects us more than we realise with this condition. My problem is that I love bread too much and I seem to have problems with really low energy on zero carb so there’s still room for further experiment to find what’s the best balance for me. I’m just so glad to be able to give up the side effects of daily medication, I know lots of people aren’t that lucky.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You don't have to be zero carb....just choose more of the kinds of carbs that support your health. You can make breads from nut flours if you are not allergic and they are a bit lower in carbs. hang in there.... keep up with the learning <3 Here's an easy low carb mug muffin (you don't have to put cinnamon in it) you could put other herbs like oregano/basil/garlic powder to make it savoury. Gluten free too as long as you confirm your baking powder is GF.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    @canadjineh Thanks, I thought zero carb would help more as lots of people find it resolved their health problems. Unfortunately every time I get serious about it I seem to crash and get worse, I think I just can’t eat enough meat to be healthy on it, I struggle to even get up to 1000 calories on meat only and even then only by adding dairy to up the calories and that’s not a healthy diet for anyone unless very short term. All the zero carb people eat tons of meat to keep healthy but I can’t seem to do it for more than a day or two then fall back and start not eating enough. At least I’ve made some progress in my health so I’m getting there, it’s always worth trying something in case it works!

I think you’re right and I need to find carbs that don’t upset my stomach then keep it to just a low carb diet rather than no carb. Maybe going gluten free will help more. I’m going to try that mug muffin for a start!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    As everyone is fond of saying in the Low Carber Forum, we are all an n=1, meaning we are all our own scientific experiment in a sample of one. What's healthiest for one person may not be the best choice for another. I see you are a friend of Karlottap too. She's a great encouragement. You are welcome to friend me too if you wish, @melmerritt33.

What we eat in autoimmune conditions makes a huge difference... leaky gut syndrome is often implicated in all kinds of AI diseases. It's possible that you do not have an abundance of the normal enzymes and bacteria that process meat protein, the same idea as some of my friends who have a real problem digesting fruit & vegetable carbs - 2 of them are fully carnivore zero carb (with good health results for them, but it doesn't work for me either). Many people with Fibro have difficulty with gluten (grain protein) like Celiacs - in fact, often those with FM or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome are found to have undiagnosed Celiac disease.

You may be better off trying for <50g net carbs (mainly from non starchy veggies and a bit of fruit) while concentrating on getting strict about gluten which is hidden in all kinds of things. You might find the articles in this link useful - similar to the FM ones I post but focused on Celiac and Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity: :):)community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10104290/medscape-medical-professionals-continuing-ed-site-celiac-disease-gluten-sensitivity-articles/p1
    h6icfj8z4qzb.png