concentrate everyday to lose 5-10lbs

Options
bikinisuited
bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
For those that have lots and those with 10 lbs. I came to MFP to lose 10 lbs for the last year and still struggling. The smaller you are... the more you have to lose....it does not matter. We all face new challenges to reach our goals. It does not matter what your goals are, we all need support to lose 10, 50, 100 or to simply to TONE IT UP. We all have our great ideas, skills and 'secrets' to keep us focus. Please share your GRAND ideas. My main issue is going over calories. I exercise regularly 6 times a week! I need to stop snacking between 2-5pm as my calories typically are 500. I don't like to snack after 10pm as I like to go to bed early and start my day with exercise. Is your challenge: DIET or EXERCISE...;0)

Replies

• MrsZippy34
    Options
    My biggest challenge is food, I am use to being able to eat what I want and not having to worry about it, well that is not the case anymore as I have let myself gain over 50 lbs in a couple years after going though deppression when my grandma passed away. I have been trying to lose weight over a year now since I was getting married ( which did not work I was way too heavy at my wedding) I just contiune to gain a little here and there. I use to be upsessed with working out and I know that if I can get back in to my routine I can be again!!! I want this so bad now more than even with my wedding, I want to have a child and I want to be a healthy me to do it!!
  • bikinisuited
    Options
    My biggest challenge is food, I am use to being able to eat what I want and not having to worry about it, well that is not the case anymore as I have let myself gain over 50 lbs in a couple years after going though deppression when my grandma passed away. I have been trying to lose weight over a year now since I was getting married ( which did not work I was way too heavy at my wedding) I just contiune to gain a little here and there. I use to be upsessed with working out and I know that if I can get back in to my routine I can be again!!! I want this so bad now more than even with my wedding, I want to have a child and I want to be a healthy me to do it!!

Perhaps we both need to be consistent in food prepping and pre logging. What are your thoughts?
  • elescott
    elescott Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Definitely food. I've been doing bootcamp, spin, etc for over a year and gained weight! I only have 15 lbs to lose but it's really hard, especially now that I'm 40 (at least that's what I tell myself). I think the key is logging every day, even if you drink several glasses of wine and binge on brownies one day :-) Sweets are my downfall, and hard to keep out of the house with kids. For me it's easy to let the whole day slide and binge if I slip a little - and that's just crazy. So, I commit to logging every day! Agree pre-logging works, especially when going out to eat.
  • bikinisuited
    Options
    I am 40 too and those 10 lbs are like sticking like butter. I have to work on my diet everyday and stay under my calories, otherwise it defeats my purpose of exercise.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Mine's exercise.

It used to be food, but not so much anymore. I enjoy cooking and love the challenge of making healthy recipes that my entire family will love. Since I've completely kicked fast food and limit eating out, this has really become second nature. Portion control can still get me into trouble if I'm not careful.

So, exercise. For awhile, that was second nature too. But I've gotten complacent and lazy... and would rather be just about anywhere than the gym. Part of it is just being out of habit. Some of my "wins" have slipped and I know getting back on the elliptical is going to be painful. Excuses come easily now: I'm too tired, it's too cold, it's too hot, it's too early, it's too late, my back hurts, I've got a million other things to do. Perhaps all true, but that never stopped me before and I'm letting it stop me now. The stopping... uh... has to stop. :-)

I want to get back to thinking about working out like a medication. People don't randomly skip medications. They just do it. It's not a MUST do or a HAVE to do... it just gets done. I did best when I worked out first thing in the morning... somehow, I need to get back to that schedule.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    my challenge is exercise. long as I stay consistent with my workouts, everything follows that in a cycle.
    when I don't, it's a slippery slope.
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Planning and staying on the menu -- that's where I have trouble. I need something hot at lunch. I am looking for easy soup recipes. Love black bean soup! Personally, I think you can add bb to just about anything. Anyone have a great easy bb soup recipes?
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Here's one I enjoy:

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
    3 cups water
    1/2 cup prepared salsa
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Preparation
    Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Add beans, water, salsa and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice.

Transfer half the soup to a blender and puree (use caution when pureeing hot liquids). Stir the puree back into the saucepan. Serve garnished with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.

Tips & Notes

Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro, if desired, just before serving.

Nutrition
    Per serving: 191 calories; 4 g fat ( 0 g sat , 2 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 9 g fiber; 408 mg sodium; 535 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Folate (22% daily value), Iron, Potassium & Vitamin C (15% dv).

Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2

Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
  • bikinisuited
    Options
    Mine's exercise.

It used to be food, but not so much anymore. I enjoy cooking and love the challenge of making healthy recipes that my entire family will love. Since I've completely kicked fast food and limit eating out, this has really become second nature. Portion control can still get me into trouble if I'm not careful.

So, exercise. For awhile, that was second nature too. But I've gotten complacent and lazy... and would rather be just about anywhere than the gym. Part of it is just being out of habit. Some of my "wins" have slipped and I know getting back on the elliptical is going to be painful. Excuses come easily now: I'm too tired, it's too cold, it's too hot, it's too early, it's too late, my back hurts, I've got a million other things to do. Perhaps all true, but that never stopped me before and I'm letting it stop me now. The stopping... uh... has to stop. :-)

I want to get back to thinking about working out like a medication. People don't randomly skip medications. They just do it. It's not a MUST do or a HAVE to do... it just gets done. I did best when I worked out first thing in the morning... somehow, I need to get back to that schedule.

Let me tell you it takes about 20 days to create a good habit. You have the answer. Start going to bed early and set the clock to get 30 minutes. Interesting, I never exercise for 30 minutes only I go over an hour and 65 minutes. Start a good habit and set a timer to do your workout early in the morning. I notice when I exercise in the evening, I do come out with MILLIONS of excuses for myself. You have an advantage in planning and cooking. I struggle with planning, prepping and prelogging.
  • bikinisuited
    Options
    Today's meals were prelogged and staying focus. This works for me. Diet is my biggest issue, I plan to report everyday as to whether I stay under and prelogging all meals!
  • bikinisuited
    Options
    Weekend strength training and cardio walking 80 minutes. Need to concentrate to lose the 1-2 lbs this week. As Jillians says, Give it all you have!!!
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Weekend strength training and cardio walking 80 minutes. Need to concentrate to lose the 1-2 lbs this week. As Jillians says, Give it all you have!!!

Nicely done!!
  • mrsmorris13
    Options
    Wine and evening meals ave been my struggle. I am only having wine on weekends now. I also space 4-6 meals out in the day and leave myself a bulk of mt calories for dinner. I am busy all day.....but when I sit down and relax at night, I want to snack. So I make sure I have plenty of calories left for that. :bigsmile:
  • bikinisuited
    Options
    I have similar problem of coming home from work. Relax and snack, but the problem I eat my dinner calories. Trying harder but planning and allowing myself to eat sweet potatoe pudding for snack time. Sweet potatoe pudding is a combination of fage yogurt, yams (microwave), and cinnamon. I allow myself to eat unlimited Fage yogurt 0% fat which is low calorie, keeps me full longer and stops cravings.

Monday I return to work and now is planning all my lunches and lots of sweet potato pudding to prevent my afternoon snack attacks, 3-5pm :sad: . I took a peek at scale reading this morning and good news I have lost 2 lbs, which most of it was bloating from the holidays. Great day everyone.:drinker: :drinker:
  • bikinisuited
    Options
    Tomorrow is my weigh-in and will be eating early dinner in hopes of getting a great scale reading. Lunch packed and water body ready for refill. I am going to have a water challenge for myself today. Have a great day. Wishing everyone a wonderful day and happy scale readings. You have worked hard this last week. Stay focus and keep your eyes on the prize!!
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    You're going to rock that weigh in!
  • bikinisuited
    Options

Very sweet of you. You are doing well yourself and cheering for you all way!
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Thanks! This challenge has helped.

I've still not hit my groove for morning workouts... hitting "snooze" too much instead. I asked for and received the fit bit for Christmas... I thought I'd slam dunk 10,000 steps (just over 5 miles) a day. I was LOATHE to find out I naturally fall around 2800 steps without trying... and about 4,000 WITH trying. I've been steadily increasing and my goal this week is to get tp 7,500 consistently. THEN I'll tackle 10,000. But I really want to add a gym workout to that. While that won't count against my steps, I can't wait to log that return to the elliptical. Here's hoping I will find and carry trhough on that motivation!! Will post my success when I DO!

Very sweet of you. You are doing well yourself and cheering for you all way!
  • bikinisuited
    Options
    Thanks! This challenge has helped.

I've still not hit my groove for morning workouts... hitting "snooze" too much instead. I asked for and received the fit bit for Christmas... I thought I'd slam dunk 10,000 steps (just over 5 miles) a day. I was LOATHE to find out I naturally fall around 2800 steps without trying... and about 4,000 WITH trying. I've been steadily increasing and my goal this week is to get tp 7,500 consistently. THEN I'll tackle 10,000. But I really want to add a gym workout to that. While that won't count against my steps, I can't wait to log that return to the elliptical. Here's hoping I will find and carry trhough on that motivation!! Will post my success when I DO!

I hit the snooze button once and hubby up and 5 minutes here I go. Try again tomorrow. You can do it. Be in bed no later than 10pm. Feels good to have your morning workout done. I still need to do 30 minute walk and yoga stretch after work. This is the easy part. I wear a pedometer when I am sluggish to hit the 10,000 steps, park far away always and lots of peepie breaks...LOL.
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    So..... How'd you do?!