Exercise! What are your goals?

Options
kacdragon
kacdragon Posts: 21 Member
As I said yesterday, there are a couple of commitments I'm making to myself this year. One of them is 160 minutes of exercise a week, with at least 120 minutes of cardio and 40 minutes of strength training. To accomplish this, my family helped me clean out the garage so I could set up a "home gym". I had a stationary bike, bought a used Total Gym (love it BTW) and acquired an electric incline treadmill for free this last weekend (both from Craigslist).

My husband bought me a small flat panel TV and wall mount for Christmas, then hooked it up to our FiOS (it might really be for him since I prefer to read while I'm riding the bike). It will be nice when I want to use the DVD that came with the Total Gym.

Now to stick to the commitment of at least 120 minutes of cardio and 40 minutes of strength training each week! So far this week, I have 50 minutes of cardio. I think I need to work on the strength training either tonight or tomorrow.

What do each of you plan to do to accomplish your fitness goals this year?

Replies

• buddsct
    buddsct Posts: 11
    Options
    I try and go to the gym 6-7 days a week for 1.5 hours split between cardio and strength training and once a week Yoga!!
  • kacdragon
    Options
    I love Yoga and hope to add that back into my life... I quit several years ago and can tell everyday when I am doing anything that requires a bit of stretching! Like touching the floor... :huh:
  • WEB331
    WEB331 Posts: 3
    Options
    My fitness goals are pretty basic. I want to walk/hike at least 4 times a week for at least 60 minutes each outing. I've been slacking off while here in Washington as the weather almost never cooperates. I need to really commit to this goal as I've been finding every excuse in the book to not go out in the rain. Ugg...

I have tried yoga in the past and loved the way I felt afterward. I actually tried a beginner's video I found on YouTube yesterday morning and found that it's not quite possible to do many of the poses in our rather small camper. So I hope to be able to get just some daily stretching in and maybe some work with resistance bands.

Baby steps :tongue:
  • knye0823
    Options
    Hello,

I don't know how to even get started. Never have joined a group like this before. :) I live in Ohio and have a membership to a gym.
    I have been working to get off 50 (or more) pounds for a long time. I get to a certain point and then
    I loose interest because I see the weight creeping up. I cannot afford to do that this time as my blood pressure
    is stable now. plus, I feel better about my self. In saying all that, I do not have motivation! My heart does, but my
    mind and body does not. HELP! I know all I need to do, just not doing it. I also have notice, in getting older, I get so bored with
    everything after a couple of minutes. I think that is what my problem is now. Hope I was not a Debbie downer. I didn't mean it like that. :) I have been like WEB331, using every excuse I can find.

I did find on, you tube, a Jillian Michaels 20 minute plan for 30 days. I did 3 days. So now I have to start over. But, I really did like it. hahaha

Hope you all have a great day....
  • kacdragon
    Options
    Don't give up!!! We all need the mind set of going forward, even if that means starting over every three days...

If I work out 3 days in a row and miss one, I no longer beat myself up. What I do is make sure I do not miss the next day, no matter what... Even if it is only for 15 minutes! Because then my mind says "ha... we have to go work out" and it becomes a more consistent habit.

What is it they say... Do anything for three weeks in a row consistently and it becomes a habit! Let's give ourselves permission to be realistic, set reasonable goals (like a pound a week this year) and we will all reach our goal together by next January!
  • knye0823
    Options
    sounds good to me. :)