Mama's and their routines!

mz_asher
mz_asher Posts: 87 Member
Hey mama's just wanted to know how everyone handles their day to day life's with little ones?

Ive have been finding it very hard to get in a workout lately. With mommy duties, house duties, and cooking duties. It just seems impossible to get it in. Im not morning person so i dont think forcing myself to wake up early would do me any good. My 14 month old doesnt really nap good and that is usually the only time i could get in a workout. Plus after the cooking and cleaning is done im just to tired to complete my routine. Any of you have the same problems? If so what are you tips.

Replies

• Ugh, I feel you! My kids are 3.5 and 1.5 and I only get ANYTHING done when they are unconscious (sleeping) lol or watching a show on Netflix, which I try to limit.

Honestly, these are hard times as a parent, but they are so so short. I get through it by keeping a healthy perspective of the brevity of these cram packed days with no time to actually "work out." I do short bursts of exercise throughout the day to get my heart rate up and burn calories. Dancing around the house, 20-30 mins of TaeBo while they watch Curious George, or if I can squeak in a whole routine during naptime I'm super happy.

Try to set realistic expectations for yourself at this season of mothering little ones. You honestly CAN'T do it all, so don't expect yourself too. I'd sit down and list your priorities and ask your hubby/partner to think through what you actually do need to get done each day. You may find that he's supportive of you rearranging your cleaning and cooking schedule to get in some quality exercise. :)

All the Best!
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    When my daughter was that age, waking up at 5.30 was the only solution to ensure I got a workout in. I'd try at lunchtime but she was an inconsistent napper then - mostly just 30 mins - and I hated getting interrupted! If I made it through the workout, my shower would wake her and that won't do as my husband works at home and is on the phone to clients most of the time. We have a small apartment and she can be heard in the office!

I started doing just the 15-20 minute Turbo Fire routines and other short videos I could find like BodyRock TV either just before she woke (only getting up 30 mins before her) or while she was occupied with some activity I'd set up, or just before cooking dinner/while it was in the oven. They say if you work hard enough it is just as good as a longer workout. Although sometimes I did have to sit and eat dinner in my workout clothes before showing - something has to give!

Now she's almost 2 and is sleeping a more predictable and much deeper 2 hours after lunch, I try and do my long workouts then and if I have other stuff to do at lunch and it's a short workout, like 30 mins, I do it after she goes down (7pm) and before making dinner. Depends how hungry the husband is!

I think the thing is to be flexible and do shorter routines - it may not be your ideal workout but at least it's something. Try and get it in at the earliest opportunity in the day, so if it doesn't work out then, you have other options.

I also agree with rearranging your schedule to accommodate YOU time. Maybe keep up with the cleaning etc a couple of days and then switch it round to give priority to your workouts the other days.
  • I can understand how you feel you can try dancing around while carrying your baby which they will love. Maybe go for walks etc. keep in mind the cleaning and stuff are work outs. a few suggestion i got when i posted is while cooking try arm curls with soup cans and squats. you may not have time for a workout video but you can be surprised what you get in while your doing your day to day. also a big help for me is cooking big meals in advance so it minimize cook time. i have little to no time myself, I also try to get more activity in on the weekends when i dont have to work. walking parks etc. hope that helps
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    when mine was that little, i would put her in a really cute outfit and take her for a walk in the stroller. Sometimes she would just look around other times she would nap, but she never got tired of stroller time in the neighborhood.
  • mz_asher
    mz_asher Posts: 87 Member
    when mine was that little, i would put her in a really cute outfit and take her for a walk in the stroller. Sometimes she would just look around other times she would nap, but she never got tired of stroller time in the neighborhood.

I can't do that here not yet at least. I live in Seattle and its super cold right now for stroller walks.