How do you cope with society pressure on thinness?

Options
I understand that Asians typically has a smaller stature compared to the Whites and Blacks but of course we have this unique cultural standard of thinness. I've lost a lot of weight and got to a much smaller size however I'm still having a lot of trouble buying clothes that fits my body well especially when shopping for jeans that fits on the waist & thighs but couldn't zip it coz its tight around my hip and butt (I'm pear shaped). It sometimes frustrates the hell out of me and don't even get me started on the shoe sizes. A lot of women that I met weighs an average of 45kg (100 lbs.)

I also purchased the local edition of Women's Health magazine and there I saw an article wherein this particular woman shared her weight loss story on how she went down from 120lbs. to 92lbs (54 kg to 40 kg) which somewhat impacted me coz I weigh around 4-5 lbs. heavier than her starting weight and she didn't even look big at 120lbs though her before photo was in an unflattering angle. While I already accepted the fact that I have a bigger bone structure but sometimes I still wished I could lose a bit more.

So how do you guys cope up with our cultural pressure to extreme thinness?

Replies

• SueJ728
    SueJ728 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I ignore it. I know that I am fit & healthy. I will never be stick thin ever. My family always comments on my body & says "She's having a hard time losing weight." They compare my body to when i was 15 and 120lbs. I am 29yo & I've had 2 kids. Most likely I will never weigh 120lbs. But ever since i was 10yo- weight is always the topic of conversation with the elders/adults. I don't talk back bc obviously they are my elders. I just work out even harder at the gym.

It's 2013. Thin is not in. Being healthy & fit is definitely in! =)
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I currently live in a Caucasian dominate area (97%) so they are more accepting than when I was growing up in California where there were a lot of Asian people. Back then I would let the comments get to me but now I don't care for negativity. I am who I am and if they can't handle it, I don't have time for them! Dealing with my family is more difficult for me because they are my blood, they should love me unconditionally and the way the approach me about my weight problem is outright rude with comments like "your fat, stop eating" or "you don't need this food, you have enough fat to last you for a year" comments like these makes me feel like I would be more loved if I was "thin". The most annoying thing that they do is always offering me food when they know I am on a diet. So bottom line is dealing with non-family members, I'd give them my pretty middle finger and deal with family, I tell them I know what I'm doing, let me be.
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It is very difficult for me because my weight gain is due to the crippling illness that I have been battling. Unfortunately, East Asians have a black and white mentality and don't believe in my disability. Instead of seeing my weight as a consequence of having this illness, they think it is the cause of it. This belief has impacted my relationships greatly. Currently, I don't have any East Asian friends I hang out with because no one wants to deal with having a friend who is sick.