Hello everyone :-)

Options
When I am not emotionally eating I am emotionally shopping/spending. Unfortunately we don't have the money for either. But I find a way to indulge in one or the other, lately it's more like emotional eating wins out. I hate it, I hate turning to food (and never healthy food) every time I am bored, tired, crabby, sad or lonely. I just want it to stop. My first goal in this it to grab something healthy when I feel the need to emotionally eat. Then really start to deal with the emotional eating.

I obviously have a problem and I know it, now it's time to fix it!!!

How have any of you dealt with this? Any good advice, or know where I can get some?

Replies

• Andriay36
    Andriay36 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am the same way. It's sooooo frustrating. I turn to chocoloate and anything sweet whenever I am sad, tired, stressed, bored, lonely etc.
    The way I have delt with it in the past is to not take the first bite of whatever food I want to binge on. There is a voice in my head that says: "Come on, you can have one bite". But once I've had that bite, I don't care anymore and I start bingeing. That helps sometimes.
    Let's be honest, it's no fun bingeing on a healthy food. I've eaten a tonne of vegetables before, and then still binged on whatever chocolate I could find in the house.
    One book that I really found helpful was "Women, food and God". That book looks at compulsive eating and has many strategies on how to deal with the reasons why we want to over eat. It also places a lot of importance on accepting and loving yourself as you are NOW, not on how you want to be.
    Good luck. I know it's not easy. I didn't have a good day yesterday, but today is better. Remember to come here often and write when you feel sad, tired, bored, lonely etc.
    Take care!
  • seligcrystal
    seligcrystal Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    thank you for your reply and support. I know exactly what you meant when you said you try to binge on something healthy and then still binged on whatever chocolate you could find. Been there done that!!!! Just did it the other night, I ate a tomato (with a little salt, which isn't healthy but it was better then a bag of pop corn and m m's :-) ) And the thing was I wasn't even hungry, I was just bored watching TV and wanted something to eat.

Being board is my biggest problem right now, every night the kids go to bed, my husband falls asleep on the couch and I stay up late watching TV and I am either on my phone on the computer or eating or a combination of the two or three :-) but the eating part is the worst, I just eat whatever sounds good (and is usually unhealthy) until I finally am so stuffed it hurts. Although I have gotten better, but I still do it way to often.

And I will look into getting that book, thank you.
  • kikilita
    kikilita Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I totally understand!! I totally always wanna spend more money, I wanna have retail and food therapy!! I get bored, I eat, I watch TV, I eat, I cry and I eat, I'm angry and I eat. I actually don't seem to eat as much when I'm happy (or I don't think about food as much anyway). I don't really have ANY money to be spending AT ALL. I can barely make rent as it is. I always feel blah. I'm definitely trying to exercise more and not overeat. I have yet to have a day this week where I've been under my calorie goal but at least I'm logging them!