Primal/paleo eating and p-90x

I've been on a primal diet since last March and loving it. Now, I want to get my body back into shape; I had baby three years ago - used to get in 2 hour workouts but no time or gym membership now. This weekend, I'm starting p-90x but do not want to use their nutrition shakes and supplements.

I hear it is intense and I want to keep going for the full 90 days.

Has anyone done p-90x while primal or paleo? What tips/suggestions as far as eating? Do you have go to site or suggestions for great foods/recipes? And, when to eat?

I'm working out early mornings which means I'm transitioning from night owl to a morning person!

Thanks!

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    I have done p90x (not a full cycle but have done all the workouts).
    It is a great workout for sure - I just can't do a workout that has a pause button.

I really don't believe you need to worry about fuel much.
    Make sure you are getting enough protein. (some say 1g for each lb of body weight - others say 1g for each lb of lean body mass) - both are a LOT of protein. Not in that it is bad for you - but difficult to achieve. I am happy when I get 120g's in a day even though I have my goal at 160g's.

Since you have been paleo since March, you are probably clear of any carb addictions. Some people will recommend adding some sweet potatoes or even a few russets for "energy".

I am doing crossfit everyday which is at least as physically demanding as p90x and I don't crash. By working out early, you also have the benefits of working out fasted. This can be hard at first - but some of the experts (lyle mcdonald as an example - or ESE or lean gains guy) think this is absolutely the best for muscle building and fat loss.
  • Thanks - this is all great information I do get a lot of protein each day but kicking it up a notch will be a big goal as I get started with P-90x ... thanks so much!
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    MikeFlyMike pretty much nailed it. If you MUST have a number, 1g per pound of bodyweight is more than enough. "Kicking it up a notch" will not help you.

Keep carbs to post-workout.

Profit.

(Personally, I do disagree with the fasted state training. I've read more negatives than I care to see to recommend it. But everyone works differently. )
  • Thanks JohnNull - by kicking it up a notch I meant add more protein to my diet, if I'm not feeling high enough energy level... so far, I'm still 30-40 g off the 1 g per pound goal with proteins. But, I'm now doing p-90x in the late afternoon instead of morning and feels good - lots of energy.