Replies

• mtgoat
    mtgoat Posts: 5
    Options
    I would love to hike the Grand Canyon !
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bowfell in the Lake District - climbed it from the Great Langdale valley and took far too long thanks to lots of ice and snow on top. But exhilarating nonetheless!

Some great ideas for hikes above - I need a trip to the US!
    That is a beautiful part of the world! My husband is English (I am American) and, before he came to the U.S., spent a lot of time hiking and climbing in the Lake District. I've only visited the Lake District once, but would love to return.

That's lovely! I'm lucky enough to live under two hours' drive from three of our National Parks so spend most weekends in one of them (Lake District, Peak District and Yorkshire Dales) but have always dreamed of hiking in America. The photo you have posted is incredible - makes me want to go there all the more!

If you are ever back in the Lake Distict drop me a line if you need any recommendations.

This discussion makes me want to dig out some old photos! I remember loving the Yorkshire Dales too.

And thanks for the offer of recommendations. If (or rather when!) you make it to the US I'd be happy to do the same.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
  • beckwithemily
    Options
    My family and I went up to Maine in July. We stayed 20 minutes outside Acadia National Park. My favorite hike may have been short but it was memorable. We rented kayaks from a local man and talked with him for a while. He told us about a place were we could get some good photos of seals on the coast right before the sun went down. We drove to the start of the trail and hiked to the end as fast as possible. Unfortunately we arrive at an empty coast, but did spot some eagles overhead. I got a good photo and actually posted it in my profile pictues. Look for the picture of a rocky coast covered in a yellow plant.
  • JaredParmenter
    JaredParmenter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For Labor Day my family and I with a couple of friends went to Bryce Canyon National Park. We also hit Calf Creek Falls which is a 6 mile round trip to an amazing water fall. My wife and I took our, at the time, 4 year old daughter and our 1 year old son.

We did just shy of 9 miles in Bryce over 2 days and then the 6 mile hike to the falls. The sites in that place are amazing. I have lots of pictures but still figuring out how to share those here.

I have lived in Utah most of my life and NEVER been to Bryce. It is one place I will be going at least every couple of years if not more.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    For Labor Day my family and I with a couple of friends went to Bryce Canyon National Park. We also hit Calf Creek Falls which is a 6 mile round trip to an amazing water fall. My wife and I took our, at the time, 4 year old daughter and our 1 year old son.

We did just shy of 9 miles in Bryce over 2 days and then the 6 mile hike to the falls. The sites in that place are amazing. I have lots of pictures but still figuring out how to share those here.

I have lived in Utah most of my life and NEVER been to Bryce. It is one place I will be going at least every couple of years if not more.

That sounds wonderful! I visited Utah in 2007 - mostly Zion NP, but also stopped in Bryce as well as Arches and Canyonlands. It was spectacular.

You live in a great state for hiking. I would really like a do-over - I weigh at least 80 lbs less now than I did then and am in good enough shape, fitness-wise, to really hit some of the longer trails.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Love your profile pic! Get 'em started young :)