New to Group and boxing

Options
Hi All-

I just started at an MMA gym. In it for the fitness, primarily for boxing and bag work. Looking for some friends who are into the same. So far it has been a great stress reliever, and it's going to kick this bootie back into shape. Any suggestions on boxing gloves, protein powders, or anything you think a woman new to boxing should know I would love to hear. I am also new to the Boxing message board.

Jennifer

Replies

• rstoliker
    Options
    Welcome to the club!
  • Grafty
    Grafty Posts: 28
    Options
    Welcome Along !!!
  • jlmarcin
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Welcome to the group!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the awesome world of martial arts!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I'm afraid I can't recommend any gloves/wraps, I don't use them.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I am in Taekwondo, have done it in the past for five years, had some health issues and took three years off, now I'm back in it again. I prefer exercising as a group, and this is a great outlet. I wish I could hit it more often, but with a family, I have to do what I can.
  • rstoliker
    Options
    Hi All-

I just started at an MMA gym. In it for the fitness, primarily for boxing and bag work. Looking for some friends who are into the same. So far it has been a great stress reliever, and it's going to kick this bootie back into shape. Any suggestions on boxing gloves, protein powders, or anything you think a woman new to boxing should know I would love to hear. I am also new to the Boxing message board.

Jennifer

I have a pair of leather Title Boxing Gloves that have lasted well. Wraps are basically a dime a dozen. I prefer 180" length, personally...but can't comment on the gel wraps. Protein powders, imho are a bit tricky. I've been using Inner Armour Muscle Peak for a while now. usually, I find the best deals on www.musclehq.com. Think I got my last tub of 5lbs for $35 shipped or something. Otherwise, 100% Whey by O.N. seems to be the standard.
  • jlmarcin
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I tried some Everlast pro-style and decided to order them for my first pair, along with some Mexican style 180 wraps. I am trying out Body Fortress whey protein right now mostly because I work out twice a day and as a vegetarian it is easy for me to be deficient in my protein intake.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Everlast never lasts long it seems.
  • rstoliker
    Options
    Everlast never lasts long it seems.

I agree. could be the class...but our kickboxing class has a lot of Everlast gear. It's not bad...but depending on how much you utilize your gear, you should have a backup.
  • vikingheart
    Options
    There's some spare everlast 16 oz gloves kicking around my gym which are in a sorry state. Title 12 oz gloves have served me just fine for bag work. I wish I would have worn ankle wraps earlier. A good sports bra is important too especially if you are going to be jumping rope. I highly recommend the brand freya.
  • vikingheart
    Options
    I also like trutein's protein powder I think you get a high yield of protein compared to the calories per scoop. The flavors are pretty good too and don't taste too processed.
  • jlmarcin
    Options
    Thanks for this. I have been jumping rope and notice I may need to up the quality of my sports bra!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Ola!
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loving beating on a bag. Kickboxing is addictive. It helped me so much last year and I take every opportunity to throw some kicks and jabs. I'm new to my area so I'm still looking for a good class.

Brittany
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I just found this group and am excited to see that there are other people interested in boxing on here :)

I almost always order my gear from Title - It's the best quality I've found.