Any keto Survivors?? I really need your advice

Options
2»

Replies

• GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would never consider going back to high carb. I feel so much better now.

I am thinking of going vegetarian and staying low carb. Now that protein shakes are so delicious, I might use them for my proteins and start seeing what it would be like to go as high as 25-30 carbs a day. I will do it as an experiment, but if it doesn't feel great, I'll go back to what does feel great.

I understand that you will be pinching pennies. The only thing I can say is avoid the products that have been proven to make people hungry (bread, pasta, anything with wheat) and exercise, because exercise takes away the hungries.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Trust me vegetarian and keto dont go hand in hand.Your choices would be very very limited.

I have decided i would continue in nutritional ketosis untill the last month i am suppose to leave.Then i will slowly start introducing carbs back but never more than 100g.i really hope i can find some cheap low carb meals over there.This is very disappointing bcuz 1 more year eating low carb and i would have achieved my goal physique
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    sam,

the secret to returning to a higher carb intake in your diet is to make sure the entire meal is not high glycemic index. The carbs should be from nutrient dense sources, not empty calories, and have a low glycemic index.

you can lower the total meal GI by making sure the meal has EFAs and complete proteins.

happy training and eat healthy.

(btw, when wil the mods eliminate the troll PU?)
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    thank you! that was pretty solid advice :)
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    (btw, when wil the mods eliminate the troll PU?)

I just found the best thing - the IGNORE USER feature. I can't see a thing from that troll now. All of his posts are just skipped. Just click on the little down-arrow next to the username and POOF!
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I just found the best thing - the IGNORE USER feature. I can't see a thing from that troll now. All of his posts are just skipped. Just click on the little down-arrow next to the username and POOF!

Awesome! Thanks ... I really don't feel like reading his stuff.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I will save everyone the trouble and tell you to just accept what Pu_239 says. I have been a friend of his for a long time now and he really does know what he is talking about. He ACTUALLY researches this stuff and never goes by what "he or she said". He is very successful with weight loss and bodybuilding. The proof is in the pudding, just look at his results.
    It seems like there is a lot of half truths going on from others in this forum. Just because he is not afraid to debate with you doesn't mean he is a troll. He is taking the time to try to help you. Trust me, he wouldn't waste his time unless he was passionate and truly knew what he was talking about..

<3
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I will save everyone the trouble and tell you to just accept what Pu_239 says. I have been a friend of his for a long time now and he really does know what he is talking about. He ACTUALLY researches this stuff and never goes by what "he or she said". He is very successful with weight loss and bodybuilding. The proof is in the pudding, just look at his results.
    It seems like there is a lot of half truths going on from others in this forum. Just because he is not afraid to debate with you doesn't mean he is a troll. He is taking the time to try to help you. Trust me, he wouldn't waste his time unless he was passionate and truly knew what he was talking about..

<3

I would accept it as well-researched fact... if he wasn't wrong about most of it. :) We say he's a troll because he's very confrontational. A lot of us have taken advantage of the forum's ignore feature recently.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    ^^^^ This! Some of the things posted by him were completely out of whack with well documented research. Plus the need to argue with each and every thing stated in a forum that is dedicated to Keto type diets is just painful and no fun.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump
  • adenajoy
    adenajoy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing once you've lost on keto is to focus on your calorie count and that you're getting enough protein out of those calories. You'll gain weight if you start eating too many calories. Also make sure to exercise. Don't think of the diet as "high carb" think of it as adding carbs back in. Don't eat all the pasta on your plate, ask for an extra serving of chicken. It will balance out.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    So, you plan to eat healthy for a few months but then are going to return to an unhealthy diet. hmm....

Have you researched why a ketogenic diet is beneficial? Because it's high in fat and low in carbs. When you go back to high carbs, then the health benefits will stop and you will return to your previous state; which I assume you are unhappy with.

Am I missing something? Why go back to a carb based diet when fat based is so superior for good health and a healthy body weight???
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    i understand but i will be heading to college in another country after 6 months and will be low on cash most of the times.I won't be able to chose what i eat there.If i was in a more stable place in my life,i wouldn't be even asking this question cuz obviously i would want to be in nutritional ketosis all the time

Money isn't a valid excuse. I keep track of every cent I spend and have for years. Yes, the food I eat now is far more expensive than the high carb processed crap I used to eat. BUT, I eat far LESS in volume. High fat equals less food. I'm spending 10-20% less on groceries while enjoying much higher quality of food.

Edit: and that's with shipping in a large amount of stuff that I can't get locally (ie coconut oil, nuts etc). (I live in the Arctic and choice is limited and prices high.)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

Long term ketogenic diets can lead to insulin resistance. your body adapts to not consuming many dietary carbs so when you add them again your body can't fully handle them well, so you will have elevated glucose(blood sugar).

This really helps!! Can you tell whats a safe time frame for attempting ketogenic diets ? Also if you point me to some research on this,that would be great. i work in advertising but i do have a ncbi account and i do look up for new researches there frequently :D

PU is offering some very incorrect advice. Please do more research. Ketogenic diets are very healthy and will resolve many health issues CAUSED by high carb diets. There's lots of research out there to start looking at. Many books, many sites, many scientists and even quite a few doctors.

PU: I've seen a number of your comments in the general forum, usually trashing anything to do with paleo or primal lifestyles, but I'm surprised to see you here. Perhaps you could keep your "it's only calories in and calories out" theory for the general forum, or for forums that APPLY TO YOU, and respect that other people would like to speak openly in forums that APPLY TO THEM. If you don't agree with keto, you shouldn't be here.