Squats at home, is this enough?

kellyscomeback
kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BB8Y92/ref=s9_wish_gw_d2_g200_ir07?ie=UTF8&colid=T0JOK0QZZZGC&coliid=I1LPWC2XGSRNIZ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=13TM276S5Y01RSYN8JW8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Otherwise I have a Gold's Gym XF-45 and a set of adjustable dumbbells up to 40 lbs. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the above or get and set of dumbbells and finding a bar that they fit on. I don't see how I can do squats with the machine and I have beefy quads to start.

Replies

• lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    without a rack it's going to be difficult to get the bar up on your back depending on how much you're lifting. you could always have someone help you with that but a rack is the safest/easiest way. also you might find yourself being able to squat more than 100 pounds eventually, so you might want more weights for the bar.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    I've been using a kettle bell (80lbs) to do my squats, and am definitely seeing some results. Having a rack helps if you want to do bar squats, but you can also do weighted squats, with hand weights or kettle bells that will work as well.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    You can do goblet squats with heavy dumbbells or kettleball. You will be limited by upper body strength since you will be holding the weight at your chest.

LorinaLynn lifts heavy at home without a squat or power rack. I can't remember the name of the variation she uses, but check with her. If you want to squat heavy, you'll eventually need more than 100 lbs.