7 week burn out - suggestions

Options
Cinflo58
Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
I was doing very well until I hit week 7. Then I could not complete day one. So for the last 2 runs I have attempted to finish the 25 minute run. First I did 10 minutes - and waled 5, then ran 10. Today I ran 15, then walked for the rest of the program plus walked an extra 2 miles.

I am going to continue doing week 7 day 1 every other day until I complete it. Once I complete it I will take a 2 day rest and resume with the rest of the program.

Prior to this I did very little exercise for the last 10 years. I think my body was rebelling against the increase in exercise.

I registered for a 5K race March 3.

Do you think this is a good plan?

Thanks!

Replies

• mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sure it's a good plan !!! There's nothing wrong with walking during the runs. I completed week 9. I am very very VERY slow... and I still walk sometimes. Every time you go out it'll work toward your goal... even if you are walking.

March 3 is weeks away, so just keep chipping away at it. I have run in about 4 - 5K's and I haven't run the entire thing yet. Nothing wrong with that. You are out there and working on it while some folks don't get off the couch.

Be proud of what you've accomplished so far and Don't Give Up !!!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    What speed do you jog at? Slow down if you can. Slowing it down even a little makes a big difference.
    Your plan is good. Keep doing Day 1 and increase the jogging portion by 1 minute each time. Maybe that will help?
    Whatever you do, do not give up! You've made it this far, which is incredible (I'm still surprised that I've made it this far) so giving up is not an option.
    Keep posting here. We're here to encourage you.

Congratulations on registering for a 5K run already!! I don't have the courage to do that yet.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    cini do what I did
    SLOW down lol took me 59 min to run my first 5km newyears eve :)
    We are lapping those that are still on the couch :)
  • skinnygeekwithin
    skinnygeekwithin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    ^^ this! Just go at a pace you feel comfortable with! You can always work on time later!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, SLOW DOWN!
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Agree with everything said, slow down and don't stress just keep trying. I had a hard time on one of the weeks towards the end (can't remember which week it was now), remember you will have good and bad run days too - I still get the odd bad run day where I struggle. March for a 5k is plenty of time so don't stress about that, you can do it and you don't have to run it all so don't panic if you need to walk a little bit but by March I'm sure you'll do it easily!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it. Keep going! If you haven't already try making a playlist that motivates you to run and listening to it while running. Also I agree with what ppl said about slowing down. Its really helped me.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k at week 4 and my second at week 8. You'll be fine for a 5k in March.

Week 7 was tough for me as well. I think it was that jump from intervals to straight jogs for the rest of the program. I started off too fast and paid for it. I added a walk break near the end of all my week seven runs. I still moved on to week 8. Forcing myself to slow down was huge. I was able to complete weeks 8 and 9 just fine.

You'll do great. Have faith in yourself!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you're beyond this point, but I had a really tough W7D2 run. It sounds like it's just a wall you need to break through.