What do you think are the basic necessities for NROL4W?

Jen800
Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
What are the basic necessities for NROL4W? and also, if you, like me, are in a bit of a financial crunch, what substitutes did you use for the work outs? I'm not starting this program yet because I want to collect the basics first. I really have no other type of fitness equipment other than multicolored weights ranging from 1-10 pounds and a swiss ball :laugh: I know I'll need a bit more than this, so I'm going to collect dumbbells with the screw on weights, but in the meantime i'd like to know what other things you guys used to improvise.

Thanks!

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    I'm on stage 3, I've gotten by with a barbell, dumbbells and the Swiss ball so far.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Thanks so much ! I'd be really upset if I couldn't do the program due to not being able to join a gym or afford tonnes of gym equipment.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    I'm on stage 3, I've gotten by with a barbell, dumbbells and the Swiss ball so far.
    What's the most you've lifted with the barbell & dumbbells? I'm just wondering how much more weight I need.

Jen800, check out Craigslist for deals. I have my eye on a squat rack with weights up to 220 lbs for $250. March will be the high time of the resolution machines that were never used going up for sale.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    I do barbell rows and deadlift 60 pounds on my barbell, three 10lb plates on each side. I squatted less than that, can't remember off the top of my head how much bc it was stage 1. That is a limiting factor to doing it at home, I could squat more weight with help of a rack or spotter, but alone I couldn't get more weight over my head and onto my shoulders without hurting myself. I do various exercises with up to 26 pounds on my dumbbells. Two 5lb and one 3lb on each side of the dumbbell.
  • kellyscomeback
    That is a limiting factor to doing it at home, I could squat more weight with help of a rack or spotter, but alone I couldn't get more weight over my head and onto my shoulders without hurting myself.

That's my concern, trying to over do it w/o a spotter.
    I read about goblet squats as a good replacement on the NROL forums.
  • kellyscomeback
    I found this thread last night on how to do NROL without a barbell:
    http://www.jpfitness.com/showthread.php?t=46576